Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #106
bluesplayer
bluesplayer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have large hands and I found that if I AM reading without my Amazon lighted Kindle cover (sometimes, with my slight arthritis the case makes it a little too heavy so I remove it) that I am always unintentionally flipping pages.

So I simply use the font button to flip the whole screen 180 (upside down) now my thumbs can rest on the sides without flipping pages unintentionally
bluesplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #107
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I've had multiple touchscreen phones... and generally find them frustrating to use on those occasions when you have to hit the blasted icon multiple times for it to register. I don't have that problem with buttons. Put me down as a keyboard fan.
Why not design a reader that offered the best of both worlds? My smartphone has a keyboard as well as a touchscreen -- I actually bought it for that reason and love it.

So could the next Kindle, for that matter. The important thing would be to allow the user to disable either option depending on their preference.

I happen to love the PRS series touchscreen for page turning but prefer to enter text with keys, as it sounds as if you do. To have both those options and access to the Amazon market would be excellent.

Since you have no issues with the page buttons, I wonder whether you feel that way about the M-Edge Touch as well. I find that Kindle light irritating, as I'm always switching it on inadvertently as I hunt for things in my bag.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #108
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Since I don't have the M-Edge Touch, I have no opinion. I don't find the slide out light of the lighted Kindle case to come out easily. It takes a determined effort to slide mine out.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #109
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The problem with the Touch is that it's essentially a mobile tap lamp, which means you can turn it on and off inadvertently, hence the tie-in to the K3's shoulder buttons.

I understand Amazon's design choice, but I can't even fathom what M-Edge was thinking. The E-Luminator2 was fine except for its incompatibility with non-M-Edge cases and larger form factor. A hard switch is a good thing on the road.

Your comment about the built-in light in the Kindle case is just another reason I probably wouldn't be happy with it. I like the idea of a separate battery; it's nice to be able to be able to power the equivalent of a back light separately, since I can still make out the screen in a lot of situations and would rather that both Kindle and light not run out of power at once.

If we didn't criticize Amazon products publicly, then our criticisms couldn't be corroborated and wouldn't be heard, and the various iterations of said products would stand less chance of being informed by user experience.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-14-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #110
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
The buttons are not sensitive enough, that's my main concern. The amount of pressure I need to use to scroll the document causes the Kindle to actually move on my fingers.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #111
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I only use the leather cover when I bring it out - from my previous experience the case doesn't help much, but it's still better than nothing. I advise you use a thick, hard, reliable case that can protect your device when you're out.

When using indoors, I keep it bare. I, too, accidentally hit the wrong buttons at times, but that's what the "back" button is designed for.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #112
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the next gen Kindle goes touch, I can easily see the physical keyboard going away in favor of an onscreen keyboard. But then, I don't know if Sony has an exclusive right to the IR touch or if not, does Sony have it for some time limit. If Sony has the IR touch and nobody else can get it, then no, the Kindle won't be going touch (IMHO).

So what is it about the touch screen that you do not care for?
For a note-taking, text-copying fanatic such as myself, the buttons seem to insure greater precision; although I wouldn't be averse to a touchscreen cursor/keyboard combination.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
I hate holding the K3 without some sort of protection. For $4, you can get a silicone protective cover from Crazy on Digital and it makes the kindle "fatter" and easier to hold. Check them out!

http://www.crazyondigital.com/kindle-3-skin-cases.html
My Crazy on Digital skin arrived today. I put it on and I really liked how it look and felt. It fits nice and makes the pages buttons less sensitive. However I went to remove it and got shocked and heard all kinds of static pops. The K3 didn't reboot it was alseep at the time but when I turned it on it jumped inside freakin me out.
I'm not sure now if I want to put it back on.
I checked my K3 and it's okay but I think I'll stick to my lighted cover.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #114
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My Crazy on Digital skin arrived today. I put it on and I really liked how it look and felt. It fits nice and makes the pages buttons less sensitive. However I went to remove it and got shocked and heard all kinds of static pops. The K3 didn't reboot it was alseep at the time but when I turned it on it jumped inside freakin me out.
I'm not sure now if I want to put it back on.
I checked my K3 and it's okay but I think I'll stick to my lighted cover.
that's REALLY freakin' bizarre! could something have gotten stuck in one of the slots for the light connection? that's a rubberized skin, right? there is absolutely nothing that should generate a charge with that
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It really is. It happen as I was taking the back off and that's where the I was shocked and static pops were heard. It's silicone not sure about it being rubberized. I did alot of search last night on Google and It seems some other people had trouble with another silicone skin by a different manufacturing doing similar things on Amazon. Someone mention on there putting cotton in the back to fix the problem but not sure if I want to give it another try yet.

After it happened I turn it off, waited then turned it back on. I then put the K3 back in the lighted cover and turn the light on to make sure everything still works and it does. My thumbs were sore after it happen for awhile they took most of the charge.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #116
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
I guess that all depends on the size of your hands.

Quote:
Myself, I have my beloved K2 in an M-Edge Latitude cover. I chose this cover due to its abillity to be zippered entirely closed and be water resistant....this became important to me after a pint of Guinness was acccidentally poured on it when it was naked. Happily, I found that it can be folded backwards and zippered in the open position, making it very easy to hold....additionally, if it is not zippered all the way in the open position, I can slide my hand between the two sides of the cover like a mit when I'm reading, making it very secure and comfortable (almost impossible to drop!).
I have the same case GoSharks for exactly the same reasons. I really like to read with my K3 'naked' but only do so when I am at home. My K3 goes everywhere with me, so I tend to use the K3 with the M-Edge cover when I am out and about. I am careful with it but I don't obsess.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, kindle 3