Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Ramez Naam wins Philip K. Dick award

This weekend at NorWesCon 39, Ramez Naam won the P.K. Dick award for his novel "Apex" (which is the third book in a trilogy - the first book is "Nexus")

Usually I don't like the P.K. Dick winners, and usually not even any of the nominees. This is the first time in over ten years that I've even read any of the nominated works, and I actually like the Nexus trilogy.

Finalists:

EDGE OF DARK by Brenda Cooper (Pyr)
AFTER THE SAUCERS LANDED by Douglas Lain (Night Shade Books)
(R)EVOLUTION by PJ Manney (47North)
APEX by Ramez Naam (Angry Robot Books)
WINDSWEPT by Adam Rakunas (Angry Robot Books)
ARCHANGEL by Marguerite Reed (Arche Press)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's an Amazon link, if anyone is curious:

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Nexus-Tri...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not to be confused with this 'Apex,' published by HarperCollins, which also looks to be pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-Aer-ki-Jy...aer-kii+kindle
Old 03-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I hadn't heard of this award before, so I did a little research. It appears to be an award for the "best original science fiction paperback published for the first time during 2015 in the U.S.A.", in the opinion of five judges whose names certainly don't ring any bells for me. Anyone know who these five people actually are, and what criteria are used to make the decision? Are they people in the SF publishing industry? People picked randomly off the street? Something else?

See: http://www.philipkdickaward.org/
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I hadn't heard of this award before, so I did a little research. It appears to be an award for the "best original science fiction paperback published for the first time during 2015 in the U.S.A.", in the opinion of five judges whose names certainly don't ring any bells for me. Anyone know who these five people actually are, and what criteria are used to make the decision? Are they people in the SF publishing industry? People picked randomly off the street? Something else?

This award has been around awhile, but I never really bothered with it. It's very well known among those who keep track of the many awards that are given.

Here's the link to the WIKI list of winners (in bold), along with additional information. The award itself goes back to 1982.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick_Award
Old 03-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Coincidentally I was going to start Nexus as my next book, as it was recommended for people who liked Daemon by Daniel Suarez (which I did).
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It is a bit of a weird award from a UK perspective, since it's for paperback originals, some of which will never even see the light of day over here.

Still, we had our BSFA awards this weekend just gone, and Australia had its Aurealises. Busy weekend.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I have always assumed you could compare it to the Clarke award with respect of the selection of judges.

Lisa Mason is an SF author.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:33 AM   #9
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
The PK Dick award started back when books that originated in paperback were the norm, only bigger names got hardback originals. It's just that while I used to like Philip Dick's work, and many of his stories have been made into movies, I haven't liked most of the award's short list books in recent years. Ramez Naam's work was published in trade paper editions, which still qualifies as "paperback".

I've known about this award for a long time, since I've been attending NorWesCon for more than 30 years. Like any award, it's used mostly for marketing, but it's considered only slightly less prestigious than the Hugo and Nebula.

James Glass is also an SF author, I've had some of his books for 20 years or more. I've heard of Brenda Clough, but don't have any of her books.

As a side note, there was a panel at the con where an artist talked about how he designed and built the actual trophies to be used this summer for the Hugo awards.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for that. Sounds as if the judges are all perhaps authors, although I must admit that I haven't heard of any of them until now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote