Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #556
takaya
takaya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier View Post
I take some consolation in the fact that there are others here who had the same screen problems as myself
As far as I know everyone over here - Italy - have problems with scratches across the top of the screen on their Aura... I've personally seen more than ten units in differents shops and they had all the visible patterns... What I can't understand is why Kobo has not wrote a single line about this issue, whereas other companies like Apple - iPhone 4 antennagate... - or Amazon - last year KPW's shadows at the bottom of the screen or this years Kindle Fire HDX's blue-tinged screen - have adressed a public statement about those problems?

Thank your for your answer and sorry for my english...

Last edited by takaya; 11-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.
takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #557
Dark Raven
Dark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Prs-300 since Nov 2009 and Kobo Aura since Nov 2013 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by takaya View Post
As far as I know everyone over here - Italy - have problems with scratches across the top of the screen on their Aura...
I'm happy to report I'm an exception My Aura has no scratch on the screen and it was indeed bought in Italy.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #558
takaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I'm happy to report I'm an exception My Aura has no scratch on the screen and it was indeed bought in Italy.
Hi, I'm happy to know that your Aura is fine... Please, could you tell me where did you bought it?

Thank you...
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #559
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I wonder if it a matter of some units not having scratches or some people who just don't notice them. It has been stated before that the scratches don't appear unless you read in the sun at an unnatural angle. I hope when my comes in December that it will be free of such problems.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #560
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I wonder if it a matter of some units not having scratches or some people who just don't notice them. It has been stated before that the scratches don't appear unless you read in the sun at an unnatural angle. I hope when my comes in December that it will be free of such problems.
It's not just the Sun, I could see them when I was reading next to an LED lamp, and not at an unnatural angle either.

And before people say why have a lamp on, my wife reads real magazines

It just has to be a point light source.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #561
Marumo
Marumo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle NT4
I bought one in Spain and it has the “scratches” all right. I did not notice it at once as they only appear when a strong light source hits it at an angle. I cannot say it bothers me enough to have it replaced. I can imagine some people getting angry over it, though.
Marumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #562
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I have tried to see if there are these scratches on my Aura but can't see them no matter what light source I use - sunlight or incandescent bulb. As I'm in the UK maybe our sunlight isn't bright enough!
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #563
Dark Raven
Dark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blueDark Raven can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Prs-300 since Nov 2009 and Kobo Aura since Nov 2013 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by takaya View Post
Hi, I'm happy to know that your Aura is fine... Please, could you tell me where did you bought it?

Thank you...

Here.
Mine is the "pink" version (don't know if they are from a different screen batch). One of the black Aura they had on show had two bright pins (but I could notice them only with the light over 60/65%) but not scratch (the other one was fine as far as I could tell playing a bit with it). Thankfully mine has neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It may be. If it's any help, so far I've read only inside and near a "normal" bed-side lamp, and with light on between 10 and 30 % and I haven't noticed a thing. (It may also be I'm not so good to catch these things )

Last edited by Dark Raven; 11-13-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #564
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
As I'm in the UK maybe our sunlight isn't bright enough!
Hah! Finally, an upside to the UK gloom
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #565
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Well today was nice and sunny for a change
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #566
takaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Here.
Mine is the "pink" version (don't know if they are from a different screen batch). One of the black Aura they had on show had two bright pins (but I could notice them only with the light over 60/65%) but not scratch (the other one was fine as far as I could tell playing a bit with it). Thankfully mine has neither
I forgot mention that the only scratches free Aura I saw was pink...
Anyway, thank you for your answer...
Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #567
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I have tried to see if there are these scratches on my Aura but can't see them no matter what light source I use - sunlight or incandescent bulb. As I'm in the UK maybe our sunlight isn't bright enough!
They are hard to see, for example in store I just could not see them, but when I viewed my aura under certain light they become really really obvious, not an issue really though as I am yet to see them under a light that I actually read with!
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #568
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Sadly it seems pretty typical Lennier, but at least you got your money back ok. I don't think any of the lighted ereaders are perfect, although if you can get one without any issues, I think the Kobo Aura HD and the Kindle Paperwhite 2 are the best options - the PW suffers from just the same issues as the Aura in terms of pinholes though, it seems a complete lottery to try and get a 'good' one.

I personally don't want the bigger screen size of the Aura HD, so the choice for me is going to between the Aura and the Paperwhite. When I went into WH Smith I wasn't very confident of being able to return the Aura, the staff I spoke to made it clear they had to have valid reason to return them to Kobo, so if I bought it and it didn't have an obvious fault, I wouldn't be able to get my money back - and like the staff you spoke to, they said they had no knowledge of scratches, pinholes, or the issue that I can see in any demo model I've looked at, a bright band along the top of the screen.

So I've decided buying online is my best option because that way I should be covered under distance selling regulations to get a refund if I return it within 30 days. I don't want to have to battle to get a refund if I personally can see faults in the screen, even if the seller can't. It's my money! The fact that Kobo don't have a great customer service record means I am going to have to give the Aura a miss, and I will try buying the Paperwhite via Amazon. If I don't get success with it, I'll just wait for now, and see if these "issues" are ironed out sometime early next year.

That seems like the best option for you, wait a while and hopefully by February/March the quality control will have improved and you will have more chance of getting a good unit.

Edited to add: Your other option is to not bother with a lighted ereader, as they don't have the same issues. Did you have a look at the Kobo Mini when you were in WH Smith? If you don't like the smaller screen size, the Kobo Touch, or the basic Kindle (you can easily learn how to remove DRM and convert from epub to mobi and vice versa so you are not 'tied' to buying from Amazon). If the smaller screen isn't a problem, most people are very happy with the Kobo Mini.
WH Smith are very funny about returns in my experience. Last year I bought a Kobo glo. It had 8 bright spots/pinholes. It constantly crashed and using wifi was out of the question as it drained the battery horribly-it went from 95 % to flat after the wifi had been on for 5 minutes! I took it back to the store and I did get a refund but the sales assistant was very rude about it, having a go at me for using it, saying that as I had used it I shouldn't really be entitled to a refund! So yes I did get a refund but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #569
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
WH Smith are very funny about returns in my experience. Last year I bought a Kobo glo. It had 8 bright spots/pinholes. It constantly crashed and using wifi was out of the question as it drained the battery horribly-it went from 95 % to flat after the wifi had been on for 5 minutes! I took it back to the store and I did get a refund but the sales assistant was very rude about it, having a go at me for using it, saying that as I had used it I shouldn't really be entitled to a refund! So yes I did get a refund but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
I hope you reported the assistants behaviour to their superior.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #570
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a refund/exchange on any item bought with the exception of earrings perishable goods e.c.t, I got two exchanges and then a refund from smiths, And if you buy on a credit card and they get funny about refunding you simply contact your credit card company and they will do a charge back.
https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote