Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Amazon has closed my account due to unauthorized activity, what do I do now?

I received the following email this evening from Amazon:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Please take the time to read this message - it contains important
information about your Amazon.com account.

At Amazon.com, we routinely perform reviews of orders and customer
accounts to protect our customers. After careful review of your
account, we believe it may have been accessed and used by a
third-party to make purchases without your permission, but it appears
they did not use your credit card to make these purchases. It seems
that someone obtained your personal account and/or financial
information elsewhere, and used it on Amazon.com to access your
account.

We have closed your account effective immediately because of this
possible unauthorized account activity. If this recent account
activity (Gift Certificate ) was authorized by you, please reply to
this message as soon as possible and we will reactivate your account.

Otherwise, you will need to open a new account when you place future
orders with us...

---

So, my question is, what do I do about my Kindle? Obviously, I can set up a new account to order further Kindle books, but how can I access the Kindle books from my 'closed' account? I have downloaded them all, of course (and liberated them and put them into Calibre) but I use the sync feature a lot across my devices and really don't want to lose that. And I don't want to lose my record of my past purchases and ability to easily download them onto any new devices.

I did just try logging into my existing Amazon account and did get an error message. It does appear this is a legit email and they have closed it. So...what now? I have a Kindle and also use the iPad and iPod Touch app. I would like to be back in business here ASAP.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Man, sorry for your woes.

First things first: forget about Amazon and the Kindle for a moment. I would be MUCH MORE CONCERNED with tracking down how your personal info [banking, billing address, Amazon details, etc] may have gotten used by someone other than yourself [though I suppose you should be grateful a different credit card appeared to have been used].

Then ask Amazon what exactly was purchased and more importantly, where the stuff was shipped to if it was physical merchandise - these things may help you piece together who spoofed you.

Second, and I am only guessing here, but am thinking Amazon will be more than willing to walk you through getting back access to your previously purchased Kindle books, once you have created a new account. This should be a snap for them.

Wish I could offer more advice. Just good luck and hope it all works out...
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
First: was this email really from Amazon? If not, and if there was a link in the email, it probably would connect you with a site that really would steal your ID.
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
please reply to
this message as soon as possible and we will reactivate your account.
DO NOT! reply to that message.
Instead contact Amazon by other means - like calling customer support, or type an email address for customer support directly. Show them this email.

It is possible that the "reply address" embedded in the email leads to some scammer and by replying you provide info that will let them steal your account.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
DO NOT! reply to that message.
Instead contact Amazon by other means - like calling customer support, or type an email address for customer support directly. Show them this email.

It is possible that the "reply address" embedded in the email leads to some scammer and by replying you provide info that will let them steal your account.
I agree with kacir. It does sound potentially fishy. Contact customer services at Amazon and get confirmation from them as to what is going on. And if someone has got your banking info. contact your bank so they can help guard your account against someone helping themselves to it. They will probably direct you to a number to call that will have your present card cancelled and a new card shipped out to you if your bank account has been compromised. So for 7 days you won't have a bank card but can write checks or withdraw funds as needed. The real fun will be getting everything switched over to the new card if you have accounts with other vendors besides Amazon like a monthly charge for some online service or something.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very true guys and the OP MUST be careful.

However, he does state he tried to log into his Amazon account and received an error message - this to me leans toward the message being genuine.

Still, totally right - first step is to CONTACT AMAZON directly, preferably via telephone.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Identical messages have been reported to a number of fraud alert/scam report sites over the last few months, but I couldn't find any definitive opinion as to whether they're genuine. Did you check the header information to see if it looked real?
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I received the following email this evening from Amazon:

[snip mail quote]

I did just try logging into my existing Amazon account and did get an error message. It does appear this is a legit email and they have closed it. So...what now? I have a Kindle and also use the iPad and iPod Touch app. I would like to be back in business here ASAP.
Telephone Amazon Customer Services immediately. It was almost certainly a phishing scam, and you've just handed your Amazon login details to the scammers by trying to log in through a fake Amazon web site.

You could try opening a new window, typing in the amazon web site address manually and logging in. If you get in, change your password immediately, before the scammers do so.

If I'm wrong, and it is a genuine email, you still need to talk to Customer Services. Closing an account because of suspicious activity is just wrong. Freeze it, sure, but not close it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Since they didn't open the email with "Hello <your first name>" that's not a good sign. Amazon has a page on how to identify legitimate mail from them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...odeId=15835501
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Good info everyone - my feeling the email was possibly legit was based on the assumption that the OP tried logging into the legit Amazon site and was denied.

@OP, as we all counsel you, CALL Amazon with all haste.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Good info everyone - my feeling the email was possibly legit was based on the assumption that the OP tried logging into the legit Amazon site and was denied.

@OP, as we all counsel you, CALL Amazon with all haste.
Excellent idea.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Another vote for contacting Amazon directly. Don't use the link in the email.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
ficbot,

If you already clicked on the email and tried to log in via the email, the scammers already have your info. Try to log in to the site directly, and if you can, change your password immediately and call AMAZON. The last time I called them, I used this # 800 (201) 7575, but that was last year.

Good luck!
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
#1 rule to avoid scammers: NEVER/EVER log onto any account via any email, no matter how legit it looks.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
#1 rule to avoid scammers: NEVER/EVER log onto any account via any email, no matter how legit it looks.
Words of wisdom, my friend.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote