Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Angry NC Upgrade forced me to erase and reregister

The 1.1.0 upgrade to the NC happened this morning, I believe... and when I turned on my NC, every book and magazine had a "download" icon on it. I couldn't open anything, and tapping on the cover to download each item did not work. Even my SD card was listed as having 0kb of content (I checked, and the card had not been erased). Connecting to my PC did not work as usual; I could access the files on the PC, but could not open them, and the NC did not switch to the usual "USB" mode that locks down the device while connected.

I called B&N service and spoke to an Indian "Peggy," and was told I had to erase and reregister the NC. Once I did that, I had to re-doanload each book and magazine one by one (a "download all" button would've been handy). I re-inserted the SD card and had to wait for NC to re-scan it before it would display... I had quite a few files in there, so that was an over-5-minute wait.

Then it was re-organizing my screen, and recovering the nice background I'd found for the startup screen.

Hopefully we won't have to go through any more update-crashes like this... or I want an opt-out installed.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-27-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
The 1.1.0 upgrade to the NC happened this morning, I believe... and when I turned on my NC, every book and magazine had a "download" icon on it. I couldn't open anything, and tapping on the cover to download each item did not work. Even my SD card was listed as having 0kb of content (I checked, and the card had not been erased). Connecting to my PC did not work as usual; I could access the files on the PC, but could not open them, and the NC did not switch to the usual "USB" mode that locks down the device while connected.

I called B&N service and spoke to an Indian "Peggy," and was told I had to erase and reregister the NC. Once I did that, I had to re-doanload each book and magazine one by one (a "download all" button would've been handy). I re-inserted the SD card and had to wait for NC to re-scan it before it would display... I had quite a few files in there, so that was an over-5-minute wait.

Then it was re-organizing my screen, and recovering the nice background I'd found for the startup screen.

Hopefully we won't have to go through any more update-crashes like this... or I want an opt-out installed.
All I can say is, that sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it. I didn't have that problem myself, but I also did the 1.1.0 upgrade as soon as I bought the NC, before downloading a single book.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I called B&N service and spoke to an Indian "Peggy," and was told I had to erase and reregister the NC.
Did Peggy offer you a keychain for your trouble?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Oh, don't get me started on Peggy. His attitude was: "Just erase and re-register it, I know it'll solve your trouble. If it doesn't work, just call us back. Have I solved your problem today?"
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, don't get me started on Peggy. His attitude was: "Just erase and re-register it, I know it'll solve your trouble. If it doesn't work, just call us back. Have I solved your problem today?"
That's a shame it happened to you. I forced the update shortly after it came out, then I rooted. I need to make sure I disable auto-updates before April's surprise.

When you're in a better mood, call Peggy and say "happy time, my keychain arrived"; then hang up.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry for your trouble Steve, that is one of my big gripes about DRM.

Also I don't know if you really got a male tech support who's name is Peggy, but if you did you need to see discovers cards commercial. LOL

=X=

(link)

Last edited by =X=; 03-28-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added link and fixed Youtube link
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Also I don't know if you really got a male tech support who's name is Peggy, but if you did you need to see discovers cards commercial. LOL
Yes, I know the commercials well... to me, every foreign support person is now a "Peggy."

And to be specific, no, my support person wasn't a Russian naming himself "Peggy"... it was an Indian naming himself "Jeff."
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Damn... it happened again. I'm beginning to think this is a Windows 7 sync problem.

Edit: No; looks like it has something to do with the need to periodically power down the NC fully (I didn't realize that using the "On-Off" button doesn't actually shut the thing down).

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Okay, so, I don't know why my NC suddenly lists everything as needing to download, won't connect my PC to the SD card, etc. However, I have established that powering the NC down completely (holding the power and "N" button down simultaneously until the screen "blurs" and it asks you to power down) and restarting it restores pretty much everything.

Which begs the question: Why didn't my Peggy suggest this to me before having me erase and reinitialize it, re-download all my books and magazines, restore my screen, etc?

I know, I know, I really don't want to hear the answer to that...
Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
That's a shame it happened to you. I forced the update shortly after it came out, then I rooted. I need to make sure I disable auto-updates before April's surprise.

When you're in a better mood, call Peggy and say "happy time, my keychain arrived"; then hang up.
How do you disable the auto-updates?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
How do you disable the auto-updates?
I don't know yet. I need to look it up.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
mrmsmop
mrmsmop began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK color
Sorry to hear about all those problems!
mrmsmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Before upgrading you should go into settings/device settings/device info and see what software version you have, maybe it is, I just bought mine April 4th and checked and it is current. This software must have been loaded when packed and shipped a month ago at least.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, nook color, upgrade