Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: What improvments would you like to see for the Glowlight 3?
Increase visual readability of Links/Dictionary 7 87.50%
Display Chapter page information while reading 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #46
Otuk@kodeten.com
Otuk@kodeten.com began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3
I want to ask if anyone is aware where to report Nook Glowlight 3 issues due to software?
I bought mine 1 month ago and I loved it.

But the recent OS SW patch is causing issues, it started messing up the book cover thumbnails, forgets the recent read books, sometimes fails to launch the reader.... This all started right after the latest OS upgrade, any tips?

So my wish is DO NOT automatically download very well tested upgardes, as it seems to be doing on its own, without me asking for the upgrade.

Seriously anyone knows where to report issues to Nook Glowlight 3 developers?
Otuk@kodeten.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #47
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
From the pictures the NgIII has too big of bezels for my preference. But some people don't seem to mind the GL3 bezels so good on Nook for producing it. Of course I've only seen pictures of the N Glo 3 so I really can't comment on it well.

And apologies for further sidetracking this thread
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
From the pictures the NgIII has too big of bezels for my preference. But some people don't seem to mind the GL3 bezels so good on Nook for producing it. Of course I've only seen pictures of the N Glo 3 so I really can't comment on it well.

And apologies for further sidetracking this thread
Yeah, I'd say check it out in person before passing judgement.

I used to have a Sharp Aquos Crystal phone, one of the earliest phones with no bezel, except along the bottom. In pictures, the 'chin' looked giant. But in person, it was fine.

For me at least, the GL3 is the same. If I place it side-by-side with my Kobo Aura it is a larger device. But it doesn't look bulky or poorly designed.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 PM   #49
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I debated whether to buy a Glowlight 3 because of it's large size. I've always been partial to smaller ereaders such as my Voyage and the original Kobo Aura. But once I got it I hardly notice the size. I just read and enjoy.

I'm sure once I finish my current book and the new wears off I'll go back to a Kindle for the bulk of my reading like I've always done, but maybe not. I really do like this thing. It doesn't have a lot of features but it has just the right ones to work the way I like.

What would be perfect is would be a 3G Glowlight that could read my Kindle books!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #50
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otuk@kodeten.com View Post
I want to ask if anyone is aware where to report Nook Glowlight 3 issues due to software?
I bought mine 1 month ago and I loved it.

But the recent OS SW patch is causing issues, it started messing up the book cover thumbnails, forgets the recent read books, sometimes fails to launch the reader.... This all started right after the latest OS upgrade, any tips?

So my wish is DO NOT automatically download very well tested upgardes, as it seems to be doing on its own, without me asking for the upgrade.

Seriously anyone knows where to report issues to Nook Glowlight 3 developers?
Have you tried shutting your Glowlight off completely and then turning it back on? I had some problems with my computer recognizing the Glo3 after the update was completed. However, turning off and on solved it entirely.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #51
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Have you tried shutting your Glowlight off completely and then turning it back on? I had some problems with my computer recognizing the Glo3 after the update was completed. However, turning off and on solved it entirely.
Also. The NOOK Developers suggested Unregistering the device, and then re-registering it. You might give that a try as well.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I'd say check it out in person before passing judgement.
In person the nG3's bezel is big It looks big in photos because it is big. Also, it's an odd feel to hold without a cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #53
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In person the nG3's bezel is big It looks big in photos because it is big. Also, it's an odd feel to hold without a cover.
You get used to that slightly grippy feel very fast. Never slides out of your hands. I hate using a cover because of added weight. I get that plastic screen protector that just applies to the screen. I primarily use sleeves for my readers, although I do have some nifty inexpensive shell covers for my Voyage and Kindle 8s since I don't like the plastic sheet on those.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You don't need a plastic screen protector because that's not how it breaks. The glass substrate breaks and there goes the screen.

You don't get used to the rubbery feel. It keeps feeling rubbery because it is rubbery. It's best to hold with a cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I don't get used to the rubbery feel. It keeps feeling rubbery because it is rubbery. It's best to hold with a cover, in my opinion.
There. I fixed that for you.

Aside from your personal opinion, can you point to any professional reviews of the Simple Touch or Glowlight 3 that complain that the soft touch material is a negative? As that had always been a plus for Nook readers in reviews I've read, aside from you.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #56
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Someone in this forum sent me a Nook Simple Touch several months ago, asking me to give it to someone in my retirement home, which I did. I helped her set it up and I confess I played with it a day or two before I gave it to her. I was bothered by the rubbery, even sticky feel. The thing seemed to be in good shape so I don't have any real reason to think it was just this individual device although it might have been.

I don't get that feeling at all from my Glowlight 3. It's surface is very different. This could just be a product of age. I don't know.

The Nook Simple Touch wasn't so bad I'd have minded reading on it but it was less than ideal.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #57
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Can we please get this thread back on track?
A software update will not affect the tactile feel of the device.

So what have we got?

-) More fonts and formatting controls
-) Customizable page headers
-) Customizable screensavers
-) Access to the built in browser
-) Restore the Current Read icon on top.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #58
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
You don't need a plastic screen protector because that's not how it breaks. The glass substrate breaks and there goes the screen.

You don't get used to the rubbery feel. It keeps feeling rubbery because it is rubbery. It's best to hold with a cover.
Breaking wasn't the concern. Scratches on the screen was. We will just have to disagree on the cover. I don't have the tactile response you are getting and detest the added weight of covers while reading.

I agree that the Glo3 has much less of the nonstick coating compared with the Nook ST. It's quite a significant difference.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I agree that the Glo3 has much less of the nonstick coating compared with the Nook ST. It's quite a significant difference.
My Kobo Touch has that "rubbery" feel also – as did my ex-Kobo Glo.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #60
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Can we please get this thread back on track?
A software update will not affect the tactile feel of the device.

So what have we got?

-) More fonts and formatting controls
-) Customizable page headers
-) Customizable screensavers
-) Access to the built in browser
-) Restore the Current Read icon on top.
Yeah, this thread continues to get off-track. Here are my two (one of which got lost in the noise)

-) Automatic fulfillment of Overdrive library books when checked out (like Kindle)

-) An easy way to wirelessly sideload books. It would be cool to be able to send an epub to a specific email address and have it show in the library
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote