Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leir View Post
Um, the screensavers did not display themselves before I renamed them

When I edited them in paint, the only resolution I could get was 767x1024 when retaining aspect ratio.
You will never notice the missing 9 pixels if you crop them;

You will never notice the aspect distortion of 9 pixels out of 767 if you scale them;

But the Kindle will notice if they are not exactly 758x1024.

Bow down to the machine, the machine rules in this case.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #62
Mikeu48
Mikeu48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite e-book
When I put my pics in the screensaver folder I just named them 1.png 2.png etc and the hack took care of the rest....
Everything working great now.....
Mikeu48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, you do NOT need to use specific filenames, provided you reboot/autoreboot your device right away. The shuffle/random feature is also builtin (albeit not enabled by default), no need to install/run anything else.

That should correct most of what was said on the last two pages (@Leir/@Akirainblack/@thomass) .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #64
Mikeu48
Mikeu48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite e-book
NiLuJe
I would make one suggestion in the Install instructions in the README.txt
Paperwhite owners must use the data.stgz file. I think I may have been confused thinking my paperwhite was also a touch screen....plus lack of coffee...lol
Thanks again for all your hard work on this matter.....
Mikeu48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #65
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
How would you enable/disable the randomise function that's built in NiLuJe?
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #66
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Mikeu48: AFAIR, that's already clear in the JailBreak README/doc (where it actually belongs, the data stuff technically doesn't have a thing to do with the SS hack).

@Akirainblack:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you want to randomize the sequence in which your screensavers will be shown, create a blank file named random in the linkss folder (right alongside the "auto" file), and then do a full restart of your Kindle! This will shuffle your screensavers around on each boot.

In addition to this, you can also shuffle your screensavers each time a framework restart is triggered through the autoreboot feature. Be advised that this may significantly (a few dozen of seconds) delay the framework restart procedure, depending on the number of screensavers you're using. To enable this feature, create a blank file named shuffle in the linkss folder (right alongside the "auto" file), and then estart your Kindle (either through the autoreboot feature, or a full restart).
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #67
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Progress report on the 'use the cover of the last book opened' front!

I have ImageMagick & Python running, I more or less know how to implement it, and have started working on some parts of it. So, at least on the Touch/PW, it looks like it's gonna happen soon . I'll probably backport this to the K2/3/4, too, but it's gonna take a bit more work there.

Anyway, this made me happy, because Python was a frigging hell to cross-compile:
That's great news! I have wanted this feature on an e-reader ever since I got my first one. I look forward to having it for my Paperwhite
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #68
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think I found a bug. After setting my kindle to landscape mode, I pressed the power button to allow my kindle to sleep. The screensaver did not appear, instead I saw the page I was previously reading with some fuzzy lines. Setting it to portrait mode and restarting my kindle did not help. Now, Everytime I put my kindle to sleep, I will only see the last page I've read as the screensaver. How can I fix this?
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: Is your linkss/screensavers folder empty?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #70
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Leir: Is your linkss/screensavers folder empty?
Please hold on, turning my computer on as I speak. How sad, I finally found a perfect spot in bed to read and this happens
Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #71
Leir
Enthusiast

Alright. My custom screensavers are still intact in the folder.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #72
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: Huh. I'll look into it.

Stupid question: did this work without the hack? (I'll admit to never having played with the screen orientation on my devices...).

EDIT: Can't reproduce on my Touch, which happens to be the device currently used to test the WIP version. Will check on my PW later...

... And now I have to ask this: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" [Meaning does a full restart fix it?)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-02-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #73
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Leir: Huh. I'll look into it.

Stupid question: did this work without the hack? (I'll admit to never having played with the screen orientation on my devices...).
As far as i know, before i installed the hack, I could change the orientation of my kindle and put it to sleep, and still see the default screensavers. After installing the hack, before i changed the screen orientation, i could cycle through my custom screensavers. Only after i switched to landscape mode did this happen.
Thanks for helping me look into this, really appreciate it!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: Check my latest edits in my previous message, but, in addition to it, one more thing:

Did you happen to add or remove screensavers during that time, without doing a full restart after?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #75
Leir
Enthusiast

@NiJuLe I havent tried turning it off and on yet, only restarted it through Menu> Settings> Menu> Restart

Turning off the Kindle took longer than normal.

Screensavers back, yay! However, is this due to the fact that I resized my pictures to 768x1024 instead of 758x1024?

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch