Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #2686
dragonkore
dragonkore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Perhaps it should go like that:

Code:
# Check if the book was a KFX...
if [ "${last_read_mime}" == "application/x-kfx-ebook" ] ; then
	# We want the metadata sidecar file, not the book itself...
	last_read_kfx="${last_read_file%.*}.sdr/assets/metadata.kfx"
	# Check that it exists...
	if [ ! -f "${last_read_kfx}" ] ; then
		last_read_kfx = last_read_file
	fi
	# Use KFX Meta.
That is, if the metadata.kfx sidecar does not exist, then pass to the kfxmeta.py the file itself.

Anybody of good will can validate the syntax at least?

It looked good to me so I tried it and, along with the updated kfxmeta.py, I'm finally getting covers for books that before wouldn't show. Bravo.
dragonkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #2687
Mikii
Mikii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5 gen
I am running the screensaver hack 0.24.n r13390 on my new kindle PW3, serial jailbroken, and currently running system 5.9.4.

I ran into some erratic behavior that drove me crazy:

As soon as I reboot the kindle everything is fine, kindle starts booting. After a while the screen lights go out (I know this is ok.), the boot continues but the led reading lights don't come back.

The progress bar goes on......

At one point, during the boot, one of the standard covers are loaded, and therefore it looks the boot is finished and the kindle has gone goes into a slip mode (lights still off).

At first i thought the kindle was frozen this way, and there were no whay to wake it. But If I pressed the power button for 10 secs the kindle reboots, going back to were I started.

However, I discovered that if I wait a few more minutes the backlight magically switches on, I can run kual, and get into the config file of the screensaver hack (right now I only get the "no processed cover" message though).

I thought there was some hardware problem, but now I am pretty convinced it is a software one?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michele

Update: This is confirmed to be an hardware problem (broken connection to the connector near the + power point on the PCB). I was able to fix it and now everything is working just fine!

MIC

Last edited by Mikii; 03-25-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: update
Mikii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #2688
eriver
eriver began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 6th, 9017, FW 5.12.2.2.
PW1 - B024 16 Lost screensaver

After upgrading from 5.3.1 to 5.6.1 I did lose the screensaver.
I cannot refresh (it is grey) to install any .bin file. KUAL is still working.
eriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #2689
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriver View Post
After upgrading from 5.3.1 to 5.6.1 I did lose the screensaver.
I cannot refresh (it is grey) to install any .bin file. KUAL is still working.
There is always 10% who never "get the word" (or: "get the memo").
And it is extra strange to see it happen on a site devoted to a device for people who read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail break
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #2690
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
EDIT: Worked it out!

Last edited by poczynek; 05-13-2018 at 10:36 PM.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #2691
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@poczynek: For reference, because I'm slowly working through the backlog at random, was it a KFX related issue?

(Currently working on updating stuff, hopefully soon(TM). In this specific case, that includes the few KFX fixes that have been mentioned along the way).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #2692
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@poczynek: For reference, because I'm slowly working through the backlog at random, was it a KFX related issue?

(Currently working on updating stuff, hopefully soon(TM). In this specific case, that includes the few KFX fixes that have been mentioned along the way).
To be honest, not sure - i just ended up fixing cover image through Calibre and then re-uploaded it and it showed the correct one.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #2693
fourwinds
fourwinds began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Hello,

I think I am just out of luck but wanted to double check as I do find all of this a bit confusing and want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I have a PW3 and I jailbroke it in 2016. The kindle updated while on wifi and I lost the screen saver hack a while ago and now am trying to fix it.

firmware is 5.9.5.1 which according to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak leads me to believe I am out of luck.

Trying to open KAUL gives me "application error: the selected application oculd not be started. Please try again" - I even tried reinstalling it and restarting the kindle and neither worked.

Tried just resinstalling it kindle-python-0.14.N-pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.zip again but when I unpack it in the root it won't allow me to update the device (after ejecting and disconnecting). When I connected to the computer again the file disappears. Pretty sure I need to have it uploaded through KAUL due to firmware version but I can't seem to get it working again.

I also tried to update the jailbreak using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597 but when I upload it to the root directory, eject, disconnect cable and try to install it says that it is an invalid update and to contact amazon (I am on airplane mode).

Is there anything else I can try or because I did not update the jailbreak before it updated, I am out of luck?

Thanks!

Last edited by fourwinds; 05-20-2018 at 02:14 PM.
fourwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #2694
c33v33
c33v33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can you share your files please?

edit: nevermind. I updated the files myself. But the update to the cover-extract script did not work with the updated kfxmeta.py. I ended up just using the updated kfxmeta.py, and it worked for my kfx file. Thanks to nemiere, knc1, Ruskie_it, and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonkore View Post
It looked good to me so I tried it and, along with the updated kfxmeta.py, I'm finally getting covers for books that before wouldn't show. Bravo.

Last edited by c33v33; 05-21-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: updated files myself
c33v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #2695
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Hello,

I think I am just out of luck but wanted to double check as I do find all of this a bit confusing and want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I have a PW3 and I jailbroke it in 2016. The kindle updated while on wifi and I lost the screen saver hack a while ago and now am trying to fix it.

firmware is 5.9.5.1 which according to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak leads me to believe I am out of luck.

Trying to open KAUL gives me "application error: the selected application oculd not be started. Please try again" - I even tried reinstalling it and restarting the kindle and neither worked.

Tried just resinstalling it kindle-python-0.14.N-pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.zip again but when I unpack it in the root it won't allow me to update the device (after ejecting and disconnecting). When I connected to the computer again the file disappears. Pretty sure I need to have it uploaded through KAUL due to firmware version but I can't seem to get it working again.

I also tried to update the jailbreak using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597 but when I upload it to the root directory, eject, disconnect cable and try to install it says that it is an invalid update and to contact amazon (I am on airplane mode).

Is there anything else I can try or because I did not update the jailbreak before it updated, I am out of luck?

Thanks!
If you haven't done (factory) reset of you PW3 after it updated to firmware 5.9.x you should be able to restore full jailbreak and "jailbreak bridge" functionality by installing the "hotfix" bin. And then using MrPi you should install "booklet" version of KUAL since fw 5.9.x killed support for "kindlets"/"active content" (old KUAL in form of .azw2 file is a kindlet). That is why you can not start KUAL. The jailbreak itself could be still fully functional.

So try those things. Take a look at this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...57#post3633257
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #2696
Mikemk
Mikemk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2011 & KT 2017
Stopped working

I've been using this for quite a while, and it stopped working today.

It wasn't updating the cover after changing books, so I decided to try resetting the cover cache.

Now it won't generate any new covers. I've tried resetting cache again, changing/resetting settings (including the lowmem option), restarting framework, even completely uninstalling and reinstalling the python & ss program.

Is there a way I can force it to generate covers, and/or auto generate via calibre?
Mikemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #2697
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Mikemk: Most likely broken date/time. You can either let it correct over WiFi/3G, or do it manually (;setDate).

You can also double-check that it's not simply that you received an OTA update you failed to notice, and that you just need to reinstall it .
Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #2698
Mikemk
Mikemk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 2011 & KT 2017
;setDate did nothing, but connecting to wifi fixed the issue, thank you. Why exactly does having a correct date matter though?

I wonder how the date got messed up.
Mikemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #2699
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Mikemk: Because you need a sane date/time to be able to figure out which book was opened last . (In the same vein, your "by Recent" sort was probably subtly broken, too).

(FWIW, you have to feed a *nix epoch timestamp (as given by date +%s f.g.) to ;setDate for it to do something ).
Old 07-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #2700
aleq
Enthusiast
aleq began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT (4.0.1), KT (5.3.7.3), KPW1 (sold), KPW2
Hi.
I'm unable to install Python. I have Kindle Touch B011, restored with Kubrick, updated to latest 5.3.7.3. Jailbroken (1.14.N), USBNet installed (v0.21.N). All went well. KUAL as well.
However with Python, Update Your Kindle is greyed. I tried Update_python_0.14.N_install_touch_pw.bin and Update_python_0.15.N_install_touch_pw.bin - either by copying via USB or pushing to /mnt/us via SCP. Still, Update Your Kindle is grey. The file disappears automatically, if copied over USB MS, upon disconnect.
The device is not registered on Amazon, but it is connected to WiFi. Date seems to be fine (when checked in shell).

I might be missing something obvious, any tips?

Thanks!

Last edited by aleq; 07-03-2018 at 06:53 PM.
aleq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch