Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
six58
six58 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Moved from Nook Classic to Kobo Touch

hi all you kobo users.
i recently bought a kobo touch after having a nook classic originally, which died last year sometime. i thought i might give a post about why i chose the kobo.

i liked my nook but it never fully won me over mostly due to refresh every page turn which i never truly got used to, and the lag times. trying to type into it drove me barmy and it very rarely recognised my swipe on the lower touch section. it died after i left it in 'sleep' for much too long and the battery gave out. heart transplant and resuscitation didn't work.

as i already had a B&N account [and a couple of unread books] another nook was top of list for a new ereader, but i just hated the styling of the newer touch/color and i read quibbles about the touch. the eink version with the glowlight tempted me however.

after a few weeks reading the forums here [excellent] and reviews and watching videos - i finally decided that i really wanted two devices. a basic ereader for 'print' books, and an android device to get into magazines, comics etc but i'm leaving the tablet for further down the track. weighing pros and cons i trimmed it down to the sony T1 or the kobo touch. i saw the kobo and T1 in store and instantly liked the size and feel of the kobo, and just didn't feel anything to the T1 except i thought it was a bit tacky looking . reading more into these two comfirmed my final choice.

biggest pluses for the kobo:
partial page refreshes (sony didn't have this)
price (kobo cheaper by about $50)
styling - i think the kobo is far cuter (though T1 maybe has a nicer material)

i was also happy with the fonts on kobo and that there seemed to be ongoing updates. the lag time was acceptable to me from using instore. one plus for sony was the overdrive access, but kobo has this to - just slightly more roundabout. a negative for the kobo was reading about screen issues. i wasn't too concerned about pdf's and i liked that both seemed to have open options for epubs (i.e where they're bought from). i thought the kobo reading life stats was also an intriguing idea. i just couldn't find much to sway me to the sony so the kobo won!

i got a silver one by the way
[ i really wanted the white one from canada though ]

==========

since having my kobo for last few days i have a few quibbles and q's, but overall am enjoying it much more than i did my nook, and even read a whole book in one day which i never did on that.

its faster than the nook was [obviously it was a much older tech], easier to type into, and i just generally like the touch factor. main quibbles are network errors (will make a diff thread for this i think) and that books from elsewhere don't seem to display as nicely as kobo books, which is disappointing considering i got the kobo to have the option of where i got the books from e.g overdrive libraries (haven't tried an overdrive book yet but did download one via ADE which was okey so may have just been the other book i was reading). i still need to play and try a few more sources etc before seeing what works or doesn't for me in the long run. pdf's are worse than i expected (think the nook was better here) but as i will get a tablet later i am not bothered by this.

also i can't see any reading life stats on the desktop software which i think is a wasted opportunity and bugs me a little

--------

for reading (long post i know)
six58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, network error, nook, overdrive, sony