Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #136
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thanks! They have 32 copies of The Help Unfortunately, 309 other people are waiting for it.

I'll still probably sign up for a card, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Ouch. I checked my libary. Not that I could get the e-book with a Kindle in Canada yet, but 84 people waiting are waiting for 0 copies the libary has available in ePub format. So that's what hell is like for a reader of e-books.

I checked the paper copies. It's at 681 holds on 135 copies. I'm so glad I mainly read things no one cares about.
I ended up buying my own copy a few days after posting!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #137
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Well, I get out of the book and into the main screen, go back to the book, go through the pages, etc. Everything is normal.

I didn't strip its DRM. Although, I did jailbreak my Kindle so that I could change the screensavers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Interesting. I thought I'd done exactly that when the library lending went live and it didn't work. I've got one checked our right now that expires in a few days, I'll check it after that.
My book just expired and on the book listing page of the Kindle App on my Xoom it says [Loan Expired] and displays a message saying that when I try to open it.

I did however just open the book on my Kindle2 (with wireless turned off).

Now I turned wireless on and it has the same message on the listing - [Loan Ended] and same message when I try to open.

Guess the moral of the story is to keep your wifi turned off.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #138
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I did however just open the book on my Kindle2 (with wireless turned off).

Now I turned wireless on and it has the same message on the listing - [Loan Ended] and same message when I try to open.
MobiPocket library books had the expiration date set in the DRM, but this suggests that Amazon might instead be relying on its servers to expire ebooks. Your test was not definitive, because it is possible that the clock on your Kindle isn't accurate except when connected to wireless.

The latest AZW DRM stripping scripts won't strip DRM from time limited ebooks. Based on the python code anyone trying this should get the message:
Quote:
Cannot decode library or rented ebooks.
If Amazon is not actually putting the time limit in the DRM, this won't get activated and the DRM will be stripped.

Based on the description of how it works, books from the Free Kindle Owner's Lending Library for Amazon Prime Members do not expire. However, you can only borrow one at a time, i.e. return one before checking out the next. So they presumably don't have a time limit in the DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #139
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
. Your test was not definitive, because it is possible that the clock on your Kindle isn't accurate except when connected to wireless.

The latest AZW DRM stripping scripts won't strip DRM from time limited ebooks......
My clock was right. It had nothing to do wtih that.

Your second statement is wrong as well, unless it's changed in the last week.
oops, you are right about this...I just tried it. I don't normally check out Kindle/mobi books, but prefer epub .. thus my confusion. (but I did not get that error, message, just one that said decryption failed)

I do not have the Amazon Kindle lending library yet as I do not have my Fire yet, it's possible they are doing something different there.

Normally for Library books I check out epub as opposed to Kindle in any case, but I will do come further investigation of the Kindle/mobi formats, particularly once my Fire arrives in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-06-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #140
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
My clock was right. It had nothing to do wtih that.

Your second statement is wrong as well, unless it's changed in the last week.
So it is definitive, Amazon is not putting the time limit in the ebook DRM - but rather controlling them from its servers. Note that this is different from Adobe ePub/PDF library ebooks, which do have the time limit in their DRM and it is the reading device that enforces this limit.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-06-2011 at 07:37 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #141
kennyc

Quote:
So it is definitive, Amazon is not putting the time limit in the ebook DRM - but rather controlling them from its servers. Note that this is different from Adobe ePub/PDF library ebooks, which do have the time limit in their DRM and it is the reading device that enforces this limit.
Sorry about the second statement, I've corrected it above....

As far as the Kindle Lending Library, I think you may be right ... will know in a few weeks, eh?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #142
kennyc

One thing I do is that this time-changing to/from DaylightSavingsTime SUCKS!!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #143
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
The latest AZW DRM stripping scripts won't strip DRM from time limited ebooks. Based on the python code anyone trying this should get the message: If Amazon is not actually putting the time limit in the DRM, this won't get activated and the DRM will be stripped.
I have been able to strip DRM from Kindle loan (the person to person 1 time 14 day lending) ebooks as long as I download and open the book while the loan is still active. I don't know if this is the same thing or not.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote