Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Charge Auro One without turning on

I have a Glo HD that I can plug into a USB cable that is plugged into a wall adapter and it, like everything else I own, charges without a problem. My Aura One however, since the day I got it almost a year ago, will charge for a random amount of time and then turn on and say it's connected to a computer. I then have to hit cancel and put it back to sleep. This may not, but almost always does happen again at some point. Plugging it in while it's on and then putting it to sleep doesn't work any better than plugging it in while it's already sleeping. Frankly I think this is BS and Kobo should have, at this point, realized there's a problem and fixed it. Am I the only one who sees this? I'm running the latest firmware.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Maybe look for a charge only USB cable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
I have a Glo HD that I can plug into a USB cable that is plugged into a wall adapter and it, like everything else I own, charges without a problem. My Aura One however, since the day I got it almost a year ago, will charge for a random amount of time and then turn on and say it's connected to a computer. I then have to hit cancel and put it back to sleep. This may not, but almost always does happen again at some point. Plugging it in while it's on and then putting it to sleep doesn't work any better than plugging it in while it's already sleeping. Frankly I think this is BS and Kobo should have, at this point, realized there's a problem and fixed it. Am I the only one who sees this? I'm running the latest firmware.
Why is this a problem?

The device is designed to turn on when charging. If the battery is flat, it turns on when the battery has sufficient charge. If it already has some charge, then the device turns on fairly quickly.

The prompt to connect is because the device detects something that claims to be a computer. If it didn't do that, then when you plugged it into a computer, how would it no the difference? It's likely that the Kobo device is being to sensitive in this detection, but it is much better that happens than the device doesn't detect a real computer that is a little out of spec.

While the device is plugged in and charging, why do you care if it is asleep or not? Just because you can see the screen? Then close the cover or turn the device over so you can't see the screen. Or of course, buy a properly design charger that doesn't pretend to be a PC. And for me, the devices will go to sleep whether I hit the cancel button or not.

The devices did work differently in the dim distant past. At that time, the devices automatically connected to the PC when plugged in. There were lots of people here complaining about that and it did change. I don't think the current behaviour is wrong, and wouldn't really like it to change.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Why is this a problem? The device is designed to turn on when charging.
Not entirely true. I DO have an old phone charger that will charge it and NOT turn it on. (Here's your chance to ask me why I don't just use that, then. Because I don't feel like I should have to have an entire assortment of chargers plugged into the wall. Also. it's only .5 amps and would take much longer to charge my tablets, music players and other what-nots.)

Quote:
The prompt to connect is because the device detects something that claims to be a computer.
Nope. It's a USB wall adapter that in no way tricks my Glo HD, or ANY device, into thinking it's plugged into a computer. The Glo HD is capable of knowing the difference.

Quote:
If it didn't do that, then when you plugged it into a computer, how would it no the difference?
Again... the Glo HD does.

Quote:
It's likely that the Kobo device is being to sensitive in this detection, but it is much better that happens than the device doesn't detect a real computer that is a little out of spec.
How can a computer be "a little out of spec"? What does that even mean?

Quote:
While the device is plugged in and charging, why do you care if it is asleep or not? Just because you can see the screen?
Because I'm not using it.

Quote:
Or of course, buy a properly design charger that doesn't pretend to be a PC.
Again... the wall plug in NO WAY tricks the Glo HD, or ANY device, into thinking it's plugged into a computer. In what way is a USB wall charger "pretending" to be a computer?

Quote:
The devices did work differently in the dim distant past. At that time, the devices automatically connected to the PC when plugged in.
The Glo HD is also running the most recent firmware. It isn't fooled by a wall plug. What is your definition of "dim and distant"?

Quote:
There were lots of people here complaining about that and it did change.
People complained that their devices were being recognized by, and automatically connecting to their computers? I don't believe that.

Quote:
I don't think the current behaviour is wrong, and wouldn't really like it to change.
Well, we all have opinions about things.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 08-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
salamanderjuice
Connoisseur
salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!salamanderjuice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I've never had this problem with my Kobo Aura One and I've used a few different wall adapters to charge it.

Do you have a Dualshock 3 for a PS3? Those are infamous for needing to be charged by a host USB connection like a PC or PS3 and most wall adapters don't work with them. If it can charge one of those it's absolutely giving out some sort of host connection.

Maybe the Kobo Glo HD is just more picky of the connections it wants to connect to. It may just be a hardware thing.

If you already know the wall adapter is the problem why not just swap it out if it bothers you so much?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I've never had this problem with my Kobo Aura One and I've used a few different wall adapters to charge it.

Do you have a Dualshock 3 for a PS3? Those are infamous for needing to be charged by a host USB connection like a PC or PS3 and most wall adapters don't work with them. If it can charge one of those it's absolutely giving out some sort of host connection.

Maybe the Kobo Glo HD is just more picky of the connections it wants to connect to. It may just be a hardware thing.

If you already know the wall adapter is the problem why not just swap it out if it bothers you so much?
Thanks for the tip on the Dualshocks.
Agreeing with you on the last part. I have several charging stations myself.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'm not sure what the whole story is, but yes, I do see that with SOME chargers and my KA1. It also seems to depend on what charger I use/random chance for whether it shows me a green light when fully charged or not. I can sympathize with Kobo not fixing this. It has been reported with logs, but not necessarily easy to find what's going on when it's not consistent and while it's annoying, it's not directly preventing you from using your device for reading (it's primary purpose).
I can't speak to exactly how different USB cables could be "slightly out of spec", but I've heard of enough issues of people with cables that work on device A, B, C and D but won't work on device E and the same person with a different cable that works on E, A, B and C but not on D that it's a real thing IMHO.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I'm not sure what the whole story is, but yes, I do see that with SOME chargers and my KA1. It also seems to depend on what charger I use/random chance for whether it shows me a green light when fully charged or not. I can sympathize with Kobo not fixing this. It has been reported with logs, but not necessarily easy to find what's going on when it's not consistent and while it's annoying, it's not directly preventing you from using your device for reading (it's primary purpose).
I can't speak to exactly how different USB cables could be "slightly out of spec", but I've heard of enough issues of people with cables that work on device A, B, C and D but won't work on device E and the same person with a different cable that works on E, A, B and C but not on D that it's a real thing IMHO.
I have both cables and chargers that work with certain devices but not others. It may be the output of the charger or the cable is failing or any number of other things. If it won't charge hubby's phone I assume the cord is bad.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
BobC
Fanatic
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Perhaps worth reading : https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/a....mvp/id/4803#5 and in particular looking at the diagram at https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/i.../4803Fig04.gif which shows how a portable device should be able to detect if it connected to a "Dedicated Charging Port".

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Use a wallplug charger instead of a computer, and it won't be an issue.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
That's not the case. Not sure when/if I last charged my KA1 via computer and it does the turn on thing. And the charger's I'm using are dedicated chargers, not the type where you plug a USB cable into the converter that plugs into the wall.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
He has it on a wall charger. Which is why the question. For some reason the Kobo is reading the charger as a computer.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He has it on a wall charger. Which is why the question. For some reason the Kobo is reading the charger as a computer.
I've seen this before. We have to thank Apple for that. Apple decided to make their USB charges non-standard and thus, other companies have followed suit.

There are charge only cables that would solve the problem. I have one.

The problem is not the cable. It's the charger. It's non-standard and whatever line is used to detect if the Kobo is plugged into a computer is active.

I'll check what charger I'm using for my H2O and report back. It's upstairs and I'm downstairs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm sure I came off as a jerk, but I frustrates me so. I have tried multiple wall plugs, mixed with multiple cables and it turns on with all of them. Good idea with the PS3 controller. I know those things require a data line (I can't even imagine why), but none of my chargers will charge it. My computers all have live USB ports whether the computer is on or not and I can't use those either. I plug it into my computer when it's on. I have a wall surge protector with USB ports and those plugs do the same thing. I hate to say it, but I'm wondering if the problem is that I have the wall plugs plugged into the wall surge protector. That's how I charge everything else. Perhaps the Aura One doesn't like it. I'm trying it in a regular outlet to see if that makes a difference. On a side note, I charged it to 100% earlier this morning and now the battery is at 31% after sitting all day. I've seen this before so I'm not worried about that. I'll update after it's charged. The answer could be as simple as "don't plug it into a surge protector"... for what ever reason.

*Update*

So I plugged it in at 31% and it turned on around 84%. I guess the surge protector isn't the problem.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 08-12-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
Considering how many variants of how to tell a device that it is connected to a USB charger have been used? Ranging from Apple and Sony's resistive voltage dividers to adding 10K pullup resistors to the data lines to the dead short the data pins approach popular in China? I have multiple chargers and some will cause my Aura One to think it is connected to a computer while others don't.

As for sleeping? Put your Aura One in a sleep cover and it will stay happily sleep through the charging cycle while offering some protection against mishaps.

BTW, I think the continuous criticism of Apple for their approach to USB charging is not deserved. Considering the lack of standards at the time that Apple created their approach which at least allows the charger to report it's current output capability compared to such approaches as dead shorting the data pins which allows no information about the charger other than it is unlikely to be a USB host device.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote