Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Book Sizes

What exactly is in the "size" column? The whole book folder, or the individual book files? Also, what formats if there is more than one?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
What exactly is in the "size" column? The whole book folder, or the individual book files? Also, what formats if there is more than one?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-07 104242.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	176210 Ψ³

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #3
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried looking at the column while the editor was open, but the list focus kept reverting to the "middle" (scroll bar is in the middle), so I wasn't able to see. This kind of sucks when there are more than one book formats though. I like scrolling down the book list to find missing book files or possible problems when a file is much bigger or smaller than I was expecting.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If I remember correctly, the size is the size of the largest format for the book. And I think it is updated when you add or remove a format. If you edit a book in a way that changes the size, it doesn't get updated.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I tried looking at the column while the editor was open, but the list focus kept reverting to the "middle" (scroll bar is in the middle), so I wasn't able to see. This kind of sucks when there are more than one book formats though. I like scrolling down the book list to find missing book files or possible problems when a file is much bigger or smaller than I was expecting.
Yeah, it would be good if the Formats Box in Compact MD layout stretched to use the space available under the Change Cover buttons.
Advert
Old 01-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If I remember correctly, the size is the size of the largest format for the book. And I think it is updated when you add or remove a format. If you edit a book in a way that changes the size, it doesn't get updated.
I've had the Calibre editor (when used from the GUI) update the size upon a Save, after I trim images and selectively remove fonts .
OTOH, it seem that somewhat recently (No fair asking 'How recent' ), the size is confused as to what it WAS reporting (before I edited), when multiple formats were present (none of the numbers seemed to quite match the value shown)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you are willing to pay the performance penalty (if there is one) then you can make a custom column with the sizes of all formats. The column type should be "Column built from other columns", without "behaves like tags". The template for the column is
Code:
{:'formats_sizes()'}
The possible performance problem arises because the GUI must go to the actual file system to get the book file sizes.

The column contents will look something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	176224  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Charles
I was not worried (or really make use other than to find BlOaTeD books. Some deserve their chunkiness as they are nicely illustrated) . It was just an observation.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I must have imagined there was a way to refresh the Size column, but I couldn't find it in any of the obvious places - bulk MDE, QC and JS plugins - not that that doesn't mean its not there

BR
Old 01-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you are willing to pay the performance penalty (if there is one) then you can make a custom column with the sizes of all formats. The column type should be "Column built from other columns", without "behaves like tags". The template for the column is
Code:
{:'formats_sizes()'}
The possible performance problem arises because the GUI must go to the actual file system to get the book file sizes.

The column contents will look something like this.
2 things,
First, thanks for that column. I might add it.

Second, regarding the performance penalty, will that happen if don't have the column showing? I might just create it, and delete it as needed. I would only use it when checking the library. I don't know how many times I came across a file containing books that were either samples, or unexpectedly short because the file contained the cover and nothing else (happens when I add blank books from Goodreads). Knowing if a book is too small in size is a great indicator of something wrong. If it's mixed in with other formats, then I can't tell.

I will try the column. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #11
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Maybe the powers that be can update Calibre to include a right-click on the file fomat in the editor to update or show exact sizes in .kb or whatever. I can imagine it now click on the file, and get size.

Would also be nice if we could update the metadata for individual books instead of waiting for them all to go through the list.

Last edited by Rellwood; 01-07-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I must have imagined there was a way to refresh the Size column, but I couldn't find it in any of the obvious places - bulk MDE, QC and JS plugins - not that that doesn't mean its not there

BR
QC: fix: repair book sizes
Old 01-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
QC: fix: repair book sizes
Q.E.D.

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-07-2020 at 07:20 PM.