Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #31
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
It is absolutely possible to use a Kindle without Amazon. You can convert Your books with calibre (kfx that requires Kindle Previewer, or azw3) and sideload them to Your Kindle. When my Paperwhite was my only reader I bought many books from other stores and I converted them into kfx. I was satisfied with my Kindle but I wanted something bigger, so I bought a Kobo Aura One.

About sending books to Amazon I did not use it very much, I learned to do it with calibre and I forgotten it because I did not need synchronization but I preferred a better typography.

If You like Oasis You won't have problems in using it also without buying from Amazon.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #32
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger View Post
I'm interested in buying the oasis 3 for the hardware... seems well built and sleek. I also am interested in the auto brightness feature. I can't seem to nail it on the kobo I'm trying out, and according to reviews, the oasis does a great job.
I love my Oasis 3. I traded by Voyage and am so happy with the result.

That's sure to get lot's fire from those that hate the Oasis 3!

Let me caveat my comment. First, the price is not much of an issue for me so if your interested in the best value, the Oasis 3 is probably not the one to get. I didn't mind paying a premium for a top shelf device.

I love the warm, even light. The screen size is a huge plus for these tired old eyes.

It's faster than my Kindle Voyage and I really appreciate that (but I'm an engineer and speedy computers is a thing with me). That said, an e-ink device is slow compared to, say, an iPad.

I use the auto-brightness feature and it's a "nice to have" but not really essential feature.

I have the over priced Kindle leather cover and all in all could not be happier with the device. I've had it about 6 months and every time I use it I think about how much I like it.

I read a lot of comments here, many negative. Decided to go my own way. Glad I did.

My values may be very different from yours...so be sure to go your own way, too.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Getting a Kindle without registering it with Amazon is silly. Better off getting a Kobo as you can do more such as borrow from Overdrive. You cannot do that with an unregistered Kindle. You cannot have collections with an unregistered Kindle. You can with a Kobo and Calibre can manage the collections.

Basically, it's a waste of money to buy a Kindle you don't plan to register.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #34
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
As for send to kindle being a hassle... I can list 4 hassles immediately...

You have to go whitelist any address you plan to send From , at Amazon
You have to memorise a not very meaningful address to send To, or edit the default
You can't send AZW, you have to send the correct flavor of an obsolete format.
The book you send probably arrives as a document, not a book

I think there are others to do with sharing highlights, but that not a feature of interest for me
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
As for send to kindle being a hassle... I can list 4 hassles immediately...

You have to go whitelist any address you plan to send From , at Amazon
You have to memorise a not very meaningful address to send To, or edit the default
That's not exactly true. You won't need to whitelist or memorize anything if you use the Send to Kindle app, instead of an email.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #36
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's not exactly true. You won't need to whitelist or memorize anything if you use the Send to Kindle app, instead of an email.
Ok I was referring to email, as the context in earlier posts was about getting entire books to the kindle. E.g. from calibre or other sources.
The app is only for quickly ending web articles?
Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok I was referring to email, as the context in earlier posts was about getting entire books to the kindle. E.g. from calibre or other sources.
The app is only for quickly ending web articles?
Nope, the desktop app is for sending entire books. The browser app is for web articles.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #38
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Nope, the desktop app is for sending entire books. The browser app is for web articles.
Ah, so is there a desktop app that I have not seen ( different to the kindle for xxx reader apps). You download it from Amazon ?
That's probably simpler than getting calibre email sends to work? I keep seeing threads where folks are having issues with that ?
Old 01-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, so is there a desktop app that I have not seen ( different to the kindle for xxx reader apps). You download it from Amazon ?
That's probably simpler than getting calibre email sends to work? I keep seeing threads where folks are having issues with that ?
Yep. https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

And yes, it's much simpler. You just need to register the app to your Amazon account.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #40
stumped
Wizard

Googled it...
But it's described as a document service, not a book service.
Can you actually send a book that will appear as a book, not as a personal document ?
Blurb says you can send AZW. But the files calibre creates have a 3 on the end. AZW3. Can you send those, as is, without any renaming?
Old 01-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Googled it...
But it's described as a document service, not a book service.
Can you actually send a book that will appear as a book, not as a personal document ?
Blurb says you can send AZW. But the files calibre creates have a 3 on the end. AZW3. Can you send those, as is, without any renaming?
They will appear as personal documents. If you want books, then you'll have to use the USB transfer and you'll lose syncing, of course.

And no, you can't send the azw3 as is. You either send the dual mobi or change the epub file extension to txt/png, to get the KF8 format as the end result.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep. https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

And yes, it's much simpler. You just need to register the app to your Amazon account.
But you can't use it as you are not having anything to do with Amazon after the Kindle purchase.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you can't use it as you are not having anything to do with Amazon after the Kindle purchase.
Well, one can always change one's mind. I sideload practically all my books from Calibre, but there are occasional instances when I use the Send-to-Kindle, because it's just so very convenient.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, one can always change one's mind. I sideload practically all my books from Calibre, but there are occasional instances when I use the Send-to-Kindle, because it's just so very convenient.
But until the mind is changed, a Kindle with Amazon is the same as a blacklisted Kindle.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #45
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Basically, it's a waste of money to buy a Kindle you don't plan to register.
Only if you wish to use it for books with DRM.

If your books are DRM-free, you only keep a short reading list on the device and you're fine with the software limitations, then Kindles are fine.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote