Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Editor statusbar query

Is it possible for Editor plugins to utilise the middle portion of the Editor's statusbar?

Background:
As a result of another recent bout of RSI I decided to try to reduce the amount of "excess clicking" in my many Editor plugins. For years I used a simple standard calibre info_dialog widget to report "Toolname: No action required", which needed to be manually closed with click/keystroke. This is the "excess clicking" I want to try to reduce.

I do want to have positive confirmation when a plugin runs OK but nothing needed to be changed. I've tried the other approach of "just do nothing if nothing changed", but I don't like it.

So far I've tried a few alternatives for displaying a temporary "No action required" message. They all work OK with pros & cons.
  1. add to Editor statusbar with a 30secs timeout
  2. simple modeless, buttonless QDialog widget which auto-closes in 5secs
  3. a QSystemTrayIcon notifier, which auto-closes after a few secs by default
  4. temporarily "borrowing" the Editor CheckBook panel's Help TextBrowser (a bit naughty but these are personal plugins and it works)

I've been using option 1. for a few weeks. It works pretty well but the message appears in the bottom left corner which is not really in the natural eye-line and is already quite busy with other tabs and panels. If I could force the message into the wide-open spaces of the central portion of the statusbar I think this would be my option of choice.

[For anyone wondering whether all this experimenting risked more RSI - the irony is not lost on me.]
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no middle portion as such, simply stick a bunch of non breaking spaces at the start of your message to shift it rightwards.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no middle portion as such, simply stick a bunch of non breaking spaces at the start of your message to shift it rightwards.
OK, thanks for confirming.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote