Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #31
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Music. I don't understand why so many people seem to need to have earphones in listening to music all the time.
I see this all the time too especially on the bus. Gotta be careful with those earbuds. They can cause tinnitus.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #32
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I see this all the time too especially on the bus. Gotta be careful with those earbuds. They can cause tinnitus.
Remembering the long thread we had a while back about people not wanting to be disturbed while reading in public situations such as a waiting room, bus, plane, etc., perhaps some of those people aren't actually listening but are just trying to fend off unwanted conversation!

I do agree though about too much music. I love music but don't need it to be everywhere - stores, restaurant, TV. What's wrong with just having dialogue on a TV show with no music in the background? Or in a TV nature documentary, just have the natural sounds in the background.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #33
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Thought of something else...

Oprah anything.
I’m with you there! She happens to be in my town for a show...ugh.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #34
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I’m with you there! She happens to be in my town for a show...ugh.
Does Amazon still offer her book club editions? They have her notes and highlights that can't be turned off. If she recommends a book, I won't even consider it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #35
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Does Amazon still offer her book club editions? They have her notes and highlights that can't be turned off. If she recommends a book, I won't even consider it.
I'm not sure, but LOL that's funny. I think Reese Witherspoon has the "popular" book club thing now.
Advert
Old 06-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #36
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Remembering the long thread we had a while back about people not wanting to be disturbed while reading in public situations such as a waiting room, bus, plane, etc., perhaps some of those people aren't actually listening but are just trying to fend off unwanted conversation!

I do agree though about too much music. I love music but don't need it to be everywhere - stores, restaurant, TV. What's wrong with just having dialogue on a TV show with no music in the background? Or in a TV nature documentary, just have the natural sounds in the background.
Blindspot is a show that is bad for that. Their background music is more like foreground music and I can barely hear the dialogue sometimes.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #37
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yikes! I wouldn't want a book like that from anybody (not just Oprah)

The only reason I can think of for having notes like that in a book would be for academic purposes - like if you were reading a classic book and there was an annotated version by a respected scholar.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #38
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't mind Popular Highlights in books, especially nonfiction. But they can be turned off if needed.

Oprah's notes and highlights would be like buying a new hardcover book that someone had marked up with a pen.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #39
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Professional and collegiate team sports, as well as most individual professional sports.

As I reflect, golf is about the only one I would actually watch, and I don't even know why I like that. Perhaps it's because I actually play that occasionaly, albeit badly, and I like to see how it's done properly.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 AM   #40
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Not into, or interested in ANY sport whatsoever. Despite family/friends who know this, but insist on variations of; 'but it's the world cup! I know you don't normally watch, but....' Nope.All those who love it, fine, get on with it. Just not of any interest to me whatsoever!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:51 AM   #41
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Tassels. Apparently they are trendy at the moment. So you see tassels for on you keychain, bag, planner and on jewelry. I've gotten into making jewelry and like to make things for my sister. But I refuse to make her tassel earrings and other accessories.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #42
HotblackDesiato
HotblackDesiato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; iPhone 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
.. perhaps some of those people aren't actually listening but are just trying to fend off unwanted conversation!
More often than not if I have earpods on in public, that's the reason. It's a cue to leave me alone - and it works. If I'm reading and there's talk I don't want to hear, white noise is especially helpful.
HotblackDesiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #43
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Tassels. Apparently they are trendy at the moment. So you see tassels for on you keychain, bag, planner and on jewelry. I've gotten into making jewelry and like to make things for my sister. But I refuse to make her tassel earrings and other accessories.
I've bought a few used handbags on eBay. For some brands the sellers emphasize that a bag comes with the original key, monkey, or whatever kind of dangling attachment the brand uses. I have zero interest in those and if one comes with a bag I buy I will remove it immediately. I can imagine I would have liked such things when I was about 12, but as an adult? No.