Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #16
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The new Calibre plugin DeASCM now makes it possible to open books without Adobe's ADE in Linux, so at least I have a "backup" for my PocketBook available now.
Not using Calibre by habit, I actually managed to install ADE 4.5 with winetricks, but it wasn't able to have it download the epubs fom the *.acsms I got from the libraries. 'Check authorization!' or something the like.
Nevertheless, I ran into knock, which does the job neatly for me. The only drawback, it is 131Mb of static executable to keep on disk. First time I read about this NixOS, btw, one always learns something new.
I also ran into this, which I understand is based on libgourou as well and compiled on ARM7 for Kobo, which might perhaps with some dedication been ported to Pocketbook - but if the problem is in certifying the connection, probably wouldn't help.
In any event, I'm happy with knock for the time being. Overdrive has such an impossible interface that choosing books to borrow with the PB browser is such an heroic endeavour by itself, that getting the epub on the laptop and then transferring on the PB is after all not so much a detour.

EastEriq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:06 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
Not using Calibre by habit, I actually managed to install ADE 4.5 with winetricks, but it wasn't able to have it download the epubs fom the *.acsms I got from the libraries. 'Check authorization!' or something the like.
I haven't had any luck with Wine and ADE at all, but I only half-heartedly tried. I just really don't want anything Windows on my Linux computer. I don't really use Calibre to its full potential, but for what I do use, it works really well for me.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I ran into knock, which does the job neatly for me. The only drawback, it is 131Mb of static executable to keep on disk. First time I read about this NixOS, btw, one always learns something new.
Looks interesting. I'll have to take a look. Thanks.

Quote:
I also ran into this, which I understand is based on libgourou as well and compiled on ARM7 for Kobo, which might perhaps with some dedication been ported to Pocketbook - but if the problem is in certifying the connection, probably wouldn't help.
This is what DeASCM is based on.

Quote:
In any event, I'm happy with knock for the time being. Overdrive has such an impossible interface that choosing books to borrow with the PB browser is such an heroic endeavour by itself, that getting the epub on the laptop and then transferring on the PB is after all not so much a detour.
I understand, but the PocketBook (since it saves your last location and passwords and is faster) is much better directly connecting to Overdrive than the Tolinos — but currently the Tolino works and the PocketBook doesn't. With the Tolino I usually just download the .ASCM file and move it over with a USB cable. Up until I installed DeASCM I had no way to open OverDrive ePubs on my computer at all. Now there are many more options — but I still would like to get the functionality back to do this directly with the PocketBook. I actually used the PocketBook for direct downloads quite a bit.

I'm wondering how soon "soon" is in the upcoming fix from PocketBook.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2021, 02:14 AM   #18
teriyake
teriyake began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook touch HD3
Hi there,
I am located in Germany and use overdrive for borrowing from a US library. I cannot even begin to tell you how catastrophic this error is for me. I have a waitlist list of about 25 books on overdrive that are getting available now (after a looong wait) and I have to push them to "borrow later" cos I cannot open them on PB. Reading on a tablet or online mode just does not work for me (on the train etc).

I really hope that PB will do the software update soon. I am not super happy with the fact that they did not react right away to be honest (seems like a minor thing that they should have been aware of anyways??), but clearly I am not a developer and don't know how all this works...

apart from that, I always loved my PB and was very happy with their customer service. I think it might bite me in the a** now that PB is not big in the US where overdrive is mainly used.
teriyake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyake View Post
apart from that, I always loved my PB and was very happy with their customer service. I think it might bite me in the a** now that PB is not big in the US where overdrive is mainly used.
I like my PocketBook a lot also, but one of the main advantages was its ability to download ePubs from just about any source. So this is kind of bothersome for me, but at least I have other options -- it sounds like you don't.

I haven't tried the Android PocketBook app for borrowing from Overdrive -- but if that works you might be able to sync to the PocketBook Cloud and read on any Tolino advice. ... (Just tried this, apparently you can't upload library books to the PocketBook Cloud.)

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #20
teriyake
teriyake began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook touch HD3
Hi again,

Yeah, PB support just told me to download via PC but the transfer to the reader also does not work (error message File is broken or has a copyright issue).

However, I can drop by my physical Library next week (school holidays here so very limited opening times right now) and borrow a Tolino I think. They have a few readers, I hope one is available. Problem was, I did not like the Tolino handling much when I borrowed one after my Sony reader broke. But I hope that can tide me over until the update is done...
teriyake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yeah, PB support just told me to download via PC but the transfer to the reader also does not work (error message File is broken or has a copyright issue).
Really? I guess they don't consider this a major issue. I don't know what all is involved, but if this is just a certification issue, it seems like it would be an easy fix. This is one the big reasons I bought a PocketBook in the first place. Never a good idea to be cavalier about features you advertised when you sold the product.

Quote:
However, I can drop by my physical Library next week (school holidays here so very limited opening times right now) and borrow a Tolino I think. They have a few readers, I hope one is available. Problem was, I did not like the Tolino handling much when I borrowed one after my Sony reader broke. But I hope that can tide me over until the update is done...
If you have a PC, you should be able to download and install Caibre and add two plugins, DeASCM and DeDRM and that would be another way around this. This works for me on Linux.

I can confirm that Tolinos are still working with Overdrive, if your library has one available.

Also, temporarily, if you have a smartphone or tablet, you can use the PocketBook app (I was able to confirm that this still works).

I hope they get this fixed pretty soon.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #22
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Just reporting that, following some hint on the net, I naively tried to add the file ISRG_Root_X1.crt to /etc/ssl/certs/ on the PB, but that didn't help, meaning that I still get "CURL returned 60" when trying to open an acsm.
To copy the certificate itself on the (rooted) PB, I sftp'd it, after having remounted /ebrmain as read-write
Code:
mount /ebrmain -orw,remount
The actual location of the other certificate files is a bit convolved: /etc/ssl/certs files are links to ../../../cramfs/share/ssl/certs/, which ultimately translates into /ebrmain/cramfs/share/ssl/certs/. /usr/share/ssl/certs/ seems the same thing. Whatever.
I whishfully reverted
Code:
mount /ebrmain -oro,remount
to limit further potential damage.
The file ISRG_Root_X1.crt itself I had lying around on the laptop in some /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla folder. I checked by inspection that a couple of other certificates found both there and on the PB were identical, just to be sure.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
EastEriq
Groupie

Quote:
IIUC, things boil down to older devices/firmware releases using openssl-1.0.x instead of openssl-1.1
Indeed
Code:
/mnt/secure # openssl.static version
WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/ssl/openssl.cnf
OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013

Further informative links:
https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-roo...eptember-2021/
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/...-3-5/162193/15

Last edited by EastEriq; 10-25-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:47 AM   #24
nola2london
nola2london began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sorry I am late to this thread but I am having the same issue. I also live in Germany and use this ereader to borrower books from the library. I have also filed a ticket with Pocketbooks support and hopefully it will be resolved soon. It is really frustrating having to delay my library loans.

Right now I am reading directly from the web browser via the overdrive website. It is not as clear of a reading experience as downloading the book but it works for now.

Besides this I have been really happy with my ereader (besides a few learning points in the beginning).
nola2london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:07 AM   #25
nola2london

I just received a message from support that Firmware version 6.5 has fixed the problem. I will run the update this evening and let you know if it now works.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2london View Post
I just received a message from support that Firmware version 6.5 has fixed the problem. I will run the update this evening and let you know if it now works.
No new firmware for the HD3 yet, but hopefully this is a good sign that it's coming soon.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #27
nola2london

Quote:
No new firmware for the HD3 yet, but hopefully this is a good sign that it's coming soon.
I have the InkPad 3 Pro, installed the updated sent by Support and it now works! I had to install it via my PC and used a link from the support team.

Hopefully they will soon release an update for all the models.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:06 AM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2london View Post
I have the InkPad 3 Pro, installed the updated sent by Support and it now works! I had to install it via my PC and used a link from the support team.

Hopefully they will soon release an update for all the models.
I'm looking forward to it. Overdrive must have changed something. For a day (or so) Kobo's Overdrive connection quit working. Nook's Overdrive connection was just fixed with an update. And, as we know, PocketBook's Overdrive mechanism quit working a week or two ago (still down, in my case). Strangely enough the Tolino's Overdrive borrowing seemed to stay up (but they did just have an update recently, so maybe that was part of what they updated).
Old 11-02-2021, 02:22 AM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

This fix coming "soon" doesn't seem so "soon" any more. Maybe they meant "sooner or later" with the emphasis on "later."
Old 11-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #30
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
This fix coming "soon" doesn't seem so "soon" any more. Maybe they meant "sooner or later" with the emphasis on "later."
Not to be pessimistic or anything (okay, I am pessimistic), but looking at Pocketbook's history of firmware updates, a new release is probably months away. And the 5.x series of firmware is unsupported, so I don't think any new release is likely there.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote