Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
Teeg
Avid Reader
Teeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Auro One LE, Kobo Forma
Question Suggestions for Editing Scribd Formated Titles in Calibre

I have several items in calibre that I've downloaded from Scribd's documents. Documents from Scribd download with the name like so - 12345678-A-Study-In-Scarlet. First, there's a series of numbers, then a dash between all the letters in the name. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an easy way to fix this, either in the process of downloading (I've tried changing the name in the download, it doesn't change the name in Calibre), or as a mass "Edit Metadata" change, or a plugin. Even just a solution for removing the dashes would help.
Teeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Couple of questions

Is this the file name
OR
is this what showed up in the Title column of Calibre?

Also
What is the setting for:
Preferences: adding books:reading metadata (a tab): Read metadata from file contents rather than file name.

If that was NOT ticked, the correction of existing books may be real simple.
TEST ON 1 BOOK
in the Metadata editor: select the imported format on the right: then CLICK THE ICON NEAR IT WITH THE PENCIL That reads what is in the book (note this will not work if you have done something that caused the book to update internals from Calibre: Polish, Embed metadata, Even saving from the Editor (T).
)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Teeg
Avid Reader
Teeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Auro One LE, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Couple of questions

Is this the file name
OR
is this what showed up in the Title column of Calibre?
I should have specified, sorry. This is actually both, the file name AND the title in the title column. I've tried changing the file name, it doesn't change the Title, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What is the setting for:
Preferences: adding books:reading metadata (a tab): Read metadata from file contents rather than file name.
It is (was already) ticked.

Finally, I haven't done anything that causes the documents (quite a few of them, I have a bad habit of downloading anything that sounds interesting) to update internals.
Teeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Presumably those documents have no internal metadata. So you can use the search and replace functionality in the bulk metadata edit dialog to fix the titles.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit, format, metadata, scribd, title