Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #31
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Your ipad is the entry level model. It goes pro > air > mini > ipad.
Entry level? Hardly. Top of the line, not entry level. I neglected to type Pro in my post. All 12.9" iPads are Pros.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Citing number of posts on Reddit as ‘evidence’ is anecdotal as best. That’s a self selecting group and in no way statistically significant. People go there to discuss things they are interested in with people sharing those same interests. Just like here.

Another line of evidence is decline in number of books read in the general population. I think Pew also has surveys for that.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-02-2021 at 03:47 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #33
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This article summarizes eReader sales (citing Statistica and Pew research):

https://justpublishingadvice.com/the...a-rapid-death/
2 quotes from that article:

"If you own a Kindle from 2009, you will know that it is almost the same as the current model.

In fact, I believe my old 2nd gen Kindle is better, as it came with an audio connector, which was removed from later models."

Not really correct. There is a vast difference in reading quality from the K2, which I owned, and the current Paperwhite and Oasis. Granted, the leaps forward have not been as quick and broad as some tech. But much of that, if I understand correctly, is a limitation of the hardware.

Newer Kindles offer Bluetooth, so the audio feature has changed, but hasn't been removed.

The K2 was heavy, large, slow, and lacked a front light. It was wonderful in 2009. The audio features are a non-starter for a user like me, who wants to read, not listen to books. Users who want to listen to audio books will use a cell phone or tablet, because they are more well suited to audio.

The market is changing, but the idea that e-readers are "dying a rapid death" is just a bit hyperbolic.

I don't see the need, for myself, to buy a new Kindle, because they haven't changed much in the last 3 years. But saying current Kindles are the same as what was offered in 2009 is just incorrect. I am one user who will never prefer reading on a backlit device in a dark bedroom. I just can't do that.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don’t agree with many of the opinions in the article. I should have just put in links to the 2 studies instead which suggest sales of eReaders are declining.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle at 800x600 is obsolete technology. Why would anyone buy one?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
This article summarizes eReader sales (citing Statistica and Pew research):

https://justpublishingadvice.com/the...a-rapid-death/

Citing number of posts on Reddit as ‘evidence’ is anecdotal as best. That’s a self selecting group and in no way statistically significant. People go there to discuss things they are interested in with people sharing those same interests. Just like here.

Another line of evidence is decline in number of books read in the general population. I think Pew also has surveys for that.
It's true that Reddit is anecdotal and self selecting and that larger phones mean CASUAL readers read ebooks on phones. Also more than 1/2 of ebook readers use a phone or tablet.

But the big differences from 2009 are 167 dpi to 300 dpi. The frontlight is good. Touch is good. Audio is near irrelevant it you want to read.

The 167 dpi to 300 dpi (or 167 to 260 approx) is a huge difference on 6" to 10" ereaders.

Any phone does audio (music or audio books) better than any ereader. I have KK3 and DXG with 3.5mm audio sockets. It costs €6 to add USB audio to a PW3 (I 've tested it) and my son has a PW4 (BT Audio) and my Mars has audio jack and BT audio. I don't use audio on any of my ereaders. Hardly anyone uses an eInk for music or audio books, they use a phone and an App. Even a €20 feature phone does audio with a better GUI than an ereader and is more convenient.

The article is very poor and about five years out of date. Also does Amazon even release stats on real Kindle sales, vs app vs Fire (a tablet with an App)?

The cost is an issue. A decent 6" phone is about €100. A decent ereader is €150 to €220.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #37
Deskisamess
Wizard

You could buy 8-10 Kindles for the price of a new iPhone or Galaxy cell phone.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Okay I see this thread has gone off the rails a bit, as is so often the case. I’ve already expressed my regret for linking the crappy article, okay? No need to pile on. I’m going to remove the reference.

And yes, only Amazon/Kobo/B&N/Pocketbook etc can give us real sales numbers. They never will. They’ll either keep shipping new models, because they see opportunity to sell them profitably, or they won’t.

Amazon hasn’t shipped a new model in a couple of years. Their Kindle device sales may even be stable. But the vast majority of their Lab 126 R&D budget is going to Echo devices and FireTV, not Kindle. That’s where they see opportunities for growth and also for getting more customer data and larger revenue streams. That’s not the case for Kindle.

Which is why (getting back to the OT) I am looking forward to learning if this rumor is true.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-02-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #39
AlaVander
Enthusiast
AlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
Quote:
What is with ‘LED backlight’? Kindles do not have that. Assume something is lost in translation?
This is indeed a translation error. It should be a light guide plate - its function is to evenly distribute the light emitted by LEDs on the screen.
AlaVander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:43 AM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I almost wonder if this is something along the lines of a Voyage 2 in that it might slot between the PW and the Oasis?
That's what I was thinking (hoping). A 6.8" Voyage with warm LEDs would be nice.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-03-2021 at 02:12 PM. Reason: clarification
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:02 AM   #41
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's what I was thinking (hoping). A 6.8" Voyage with a warm color screen would be nice.
I’d like that too.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:13 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
And you can buy more Kobos then Kindles as Kobos are less expensive then Kindles.

For $1,000 you can buy 4 Kindle Oasis and 5 Kobo Libra.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:52 AM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
But you can buy more decent smart phones than decent Kindles or Kobos (decent = no adverts and 300 dpi, not basic 167 dpi with adverts) that aren't Apple or Samsung. The two most expensive well known brands.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #44
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Every now and again I try and read my books on a tablet using iBooks and Kindle apps. Neither are a good enough substitute for an even basic e-reader. It’s just not the same.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #45
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you can buy more Kobos then Kindles as Kobos are less expensive then Kindles.

For $1,000 you can buy 4 Kindle Oasis and 5 Kobo Libra.
I had a Kobo Glo HD for a while, sold it on eBay. I used it for about a year. The only feature it had that I miss on a Kindle is the swipe up/down near the left bezel to adjust the front light.

But in day to day use, I found it more temperamental and glitchy than any Kindle I've ever had. It liked to lock up, usually in the middle of a reading session at night. It happened enough to really sour me on the device.