Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #1
wwwalker
wwwalker began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre on Windows 7 Desktop
500 error when adding HTML page from archive.org

I keep getting 500 internal server error on archive.org for importing HTML document. i opened the URL in the error message and site said busy, try again later but it never is any good no matte how many times I try. It looks like I have to 'borrow' HTML versions but can't see why.

Here is error:

calibre, version 4.9.1 (win32, embedded-python: True)
Failed to download e-book: Failed: Downloading Complete world of Greek mythology.html

Starting job: Downloading Complete world of Greek mythology.html
Job: "Downloading Complete world of Greek mythology.html" failed with error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ebook_download.py", line 86, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ebook_download.py", line 102, in _download
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ebook_download.py", line 69, in download_file
File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 253, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 309, in _mech_open
httperror_seek_wrapper: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

Called with args: (<calibre.gui2.ui.Main object at 0x07588300>, None, 'https://bookserver.archive.org/borrow/webview/completeworldofg00rich', u'Complete world of Greek mythology.html', u'', True, [], <bound method ArchiveOrgStore.create_browser of <calibre.gui2.store.stores.archive_org_plugin.Arch iveOrgStore object at 0x07C737D0>>) {u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x1243CDD0>, u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x136E55D0>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x1243CA10>}

Any hack of python in Calibre or info re registering with archive.org to be allowed to download the HTML version of the books would be good as I am a programmer and can write Python otherwise I read the book on the URL as an HTML directly on their site but not as an EBook in Calibre.

I have not upgraded as Calibre in later versions has problems with flickering ebooks due to Qt library changing and only Windows 10 being supported not Windows 7.
wwwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No idea, dont use archive.org myself. You can check the code in archive_org_plugin.py and modify it however you like. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do know that you cannot stay on Windows 7 forever and that someday you will have to upgrade to Windows 10. So now is a better time then later to upgrade both Windows and Calibre. And when you do upgrade to Windows 10, if you can, do so to a 64-bit version.

That being said, it looks like the problem is on Archive.org's end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm... given that 5 web browsers gave a 500 error trying to connect to https://bookserver.archive.org/borro...worldofg00rich though https://archive.org/details/completeworldofg00rich does work with a banner saying you can borrow this book for 14 days and a "Login and Borrow" button? Add in that the URL you are trying to use has borrow in the path and a question comes to mind:

Do you have a configuration that will log you in to archive.org to allow borrowing the book?

@JSWolf: Please note I get the same 500 error using all the browsers I tested on Windows 10 1909 and 2004, Mac OSX Catalina, SUSE Tumbleweed, Ubuntu 20.04 and Raspbian. I find myself doubting that his issue was caused by using Windows 7.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... given that 5 web browsers gave a 500 error trying to connect to https://bookserver.archive.org/borro...worldofg00rich though https://archive.org/details/completeworldofg00rich does work with a banner saying you can borrow this book for 14 days and a "Login and Borrow" button? Add in that the URL you are trying to use has borrow in the path and a question comes to mind:

Do you have a configuration that will log you in to archive.org to allow borrowing the book?

@JSWolf: Please note I get the same 500 error using all the browsers I tested on Windows 10 1909 and 2004, Mac OSX Catalina, SUSE Tumbleweed, Ubuntu 20.04 and Raspbian. I find myself doubting that his issue was caused by using Windows 7.
I wasn't saying it was an issue with Windows 7. The OP said Calibre cannot be updated any further due to Windows 7. So I was posting to update Windows7 to Windows 10 so Calibre can also be updated.

Then I said it was a problem on archive.org's side of things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
add a book, calibre, html, python, windows 7