Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
hmemcpy
hmemcpy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
USB networking disabled on Kindle firmware 2.0.3

Hello.

Last night I upgraded my K2 to 2.0.3, and now I can't turn on USB networking. I get to debug mode just fine (typing `help shows all the commands, including `usbNetwork and `usbQa), however typing those seems to do nothing.

Did anyone else experience this?
hmemcpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
rubikscube99
Enthusiast
rubikscube99 began at the beginning.

do you mean the kindle wont go into USB mode and connect to the computer?
or do u mean it wont go in to debug mode so it can connect to the internet... because if it is not connecting to the computer, then it might be a hardware issue
rubikscube99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube99 View Post
do you mean the kindle wont go into USB mode and connect to the computer?
or do u mean it wont go in to debug mode so it can connect to the internet... because if it is not connecting to the computer, then it might be a hardware issue
USB connectivity can also be disabled in the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Confirmed. Amazon have disabled USB Networking with a stock OS image on 2.0.3.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
hmemcpy

Is it possible to safely downgrade the firmware? I haven't tried it yet myself...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
So is there any way to bring that back? I am currently still on 2.0.2 because I don't want to loose functionalities...
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Confirmed. Amazon have disabled USB Networking with a stock OS image on 2.0.3.
I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I really do understand; do you mean that with 2.0.3 you can't connect to your computer via the USB cord to transfer files to the Kindle anymore?

Because that would be um, a serious problem. In my opinion, anyway.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I really do understand; do you mean that with 2.0.3 you can't connect to your computer via the USB cord to transfer files to the Kindle anymore?

Because that would be um, a serious problem. In my opinion, anyway.
No, the USB connection works fine. The disabled feature has to do with allowing the Kindle to be seen as a computer on the network, to which you can connect via telnet. This facilitates all kinds of fun stuff. Guess Amazon is afraid we just may have too much fun.

El

Last edited by elmoglick; 04-28-2009 at 12:18 PM.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
hmemcpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
...allowing the Kindle to be seen as a computer on the network, to which you can connect via telnet.
I wish it was only that. Unfortunately for people who live outside the US, who don't have Whispernet, it's the only way of connecting the Kindle to the internet (using internet connection sharing on the PC). In my particular situation, upgrading the firmware to 2.0.3 reset the internal clock to Jan 01, 1970. Since the only way to set the clock is via Whispernet which I don't have, this presents a bug, for instance, where my recently read books always go to the end of the list instead of the beginning.

At this moment I can't really do anything about this situation. I can't rollback the firmware to 2.0.2, can't activate USB networking to connect it to the internet, can't access the terminal (in hopes to set the clock manually via 'time' command), and of course, can't turn on Whispernet. So everything works but with the huge annoyance to always look for my recently read books at the last page on the home screen.

Last edited by hmemcpy; 04-28-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmemcpy View Post
I wish it was only that. Unfortunately for people who leave outside the US, who don't have Whispernet, it's the only way of connecting the Kindle to the internet (using internet connection sharing on the PC). In my particular situation, upgrading the firmware to 2.0.3 reset the internal clock to Jan 01, 1970. Since the only way to set the clock is via Whispernet which I don't have, this presents a bug, for instance, where my recently read books always go to the end of the list instead of the beginning.

At this moment I can't really do anything about this situation. I can't rollback the firmware to 2.0.2, can't activate USB networking to connect it to the internet, can't access the terminal (in hopes to set the clock manually via 'time' command), and of course, can't turn on Whispernet. So everything works but with the huge annoyance to always look for my recently read books at the last page on the home screen.
My memory may be failing, but I thought there was a way to access the command prompt - did it require connecting the Kindle to a PC or could it be done on the Kindle itself? That would let you use the Linux command to reset the time.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
My memory may be failing, but I thought there was a way to access the command prompt - did it require connecting the Kindle to a PC or could it be done on the Kindle itself? That would let you use the Linux command to reset the time.
Recovery Mode, perhaps?
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
or a debug mode
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest someone in the USA call Amazon CS and say that you are planning to go out of the country for a while and mention these issues and ask how to work around them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You think Amazon has any clue how to work around then? Hah!

hmemcpy, have you considered resetting to factory defaults? I always thought that reset the firmware to someone original version stored somewhere in the system.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
hmemcpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
One of the debug commands is 'terminal', typing it, however, seems to do nothing (well, it makes the Kindle freeze for a few moments, and then does nothing). Again, maybe only in 2.0.3.

I haven't been able to do anything in the recovery mode (well, except reboot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
hmemcpy, have you considered resetting to factory defaults? I always thought that reset the firmware to someone original version stored somewhere in the system.
I did, I selected "Reset to factory defaults", but it didn't rollback the firmware.