Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #1336
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
This topic may become moot in the near future.

Last week I bought 2 books from Amazon. I haven't used Kindle for PC for a number of months. When I started it, it automatically updated to v1.33 (I was 1.17). Every time I clicked on the shortcut it would update again. I can download to my Android tablet but I cannot download to my PC (Win 10). My existing books are still available, just no new books.

I called Amazon Kindle help line and was told they are no longer supporting Kindle for PC. If I want something for my PC I have to buy it from the Microsoft store. None of the programs there claim to support KFX (mobi, pdf and epub only).

It looks like you will no longer be able to download any Kindle books to your PC.
See the first post in this thread. Kindle for PC isn't going away, but it is moving to forcing KFX format.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #1337
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I've had no issues staying on K4PC 1.17 with the info at the bottom of the first post about preventing updates.

I know Amazon dropped their Windows store app awhile back, but Kindle for PC continues to get updates.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #1338
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Someone at the GitHub has reported that they disabled KFX downloads from Kindle for Mac 1.33. I know that's not what people here had found, but I don't have a Mac to try it. Issue #1943 if you want to take a look.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #1339
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Someone at the GitHub has reported that they disabled KFX downloads from Kindle for Mac 1.33. I know that's not what people here had found, but I don't have a Mac to try it. Issue #1943 if you want to take a look.
That person is using a Mac with an M1 processor. That could be a factor.

Kindle for Mac (or PC) does a test of the graphics capabilities of the system running it and will disable KFX format if the test fails. This was what the renderer-test program does in older versions of the software. The same check is now done by the main program instead.

It is possible that for some reason the graphics test fails on an M1 Mac. If so then that is good for DRM removal but bad if you want to read a book with Enhanced Typesetting features on an M1 Mac.

(This is related to another way of avoiding KFX format. Running the Kindle app from within a VM with limited graphics capability will almost certainly result in KFX being disabled.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:07 AM   #1340
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
This is really interesting. Thank you lkmiller, thank you jhowell. I wish I had an M1 Mac to experiment. In the meantime, I've updated the Mac post.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #1341
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Output Has Changed But Still Usable

Running 1.17.1 under Windows 11. A week or so ago the output changed and you get a bunch of flotsam mixed in with valid .azw files per my attached listing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-26 080125.png
Views:	221
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	190457

The good news is that the .azw files input correctly to Calibre and I can convert them which is a test of the DRM plugin. So aside from the cruft I am able to continue to use 1.17.1
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #1342
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
The good news is that the .azw files input correctly to Calibre and I can convert them which is a test of the DRM plugin. So aside from the cruft I am able to continue to use 1.17.1
That 'cruft' is APNX (page index) and PHL (Popular Highlights) files. The first maps page numbers in a paper edition to pages in the AZW3 file, the second keeps highlights.

I don't know why not all AZW3s come with them. Many do, but not all.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:50 AM   #1343
Loknor
Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd ed, Kobo Aura HD, Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
It looks like you will no longer be able to download any Kindle books to your PC.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Eric
No. 1.17 not only works just fine, you can still avoid the upgrade. I just checked on y windows 10 and my windows 11 machine. I even reinstalled it on my woves machine who had no kindle app. A book which came out this month and which I recently bought downloads on all machines.

I'm afraid you really are doing something wrong, if you follow the instructions it's going to be just fine.
Loknor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #1344
hecq
Enthusiast
hecq began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
This is so odd. I am running Kindle for PC 1.17 and it worked fine last week to get a book and dedrm it.

Now I just purchased a much more recent book (released in 2021), and while I see it in my library I can't download it. It just spins the little icon and eventually gives up.

I can't open the book in Kindle for PC, I don't see it in "My Kindle Content" on the HDD, and nothing else seems to work.

Anyone else? What's happening?
hecq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #1345
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecq View Post
This is so odd. I am running Kindle for PC 1.17 and it worked fine last week to get a book and dedrm it.

Now I just purchased a much more recent book (released in 2021), and while I see it in my library I can't download it. It just spins the little icon and eventually gives up.

I can't open the book in Kindle for PC, I don't see it in "My Kindle Content" on the HDD, and nothing else seems to work.

It might be a title that requires a later version of Kindle for PC.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #1346
bkennelly
bkennelly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bkennelly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bkennelly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:

I saw the same with some titles in KPC 1.26 today. The registry hack to disable KFX still works.
bkennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #1347
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:

At this time AWS was down. see this thread.

bernie

P.S.
I have solved my problems with K4PC by buying a basic kindle.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #1348
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon has had a major outage today. That could be affecting downloads and other Kindle related services.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:30 AM   #1349
hecq
Enthusiast
hecq began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It might be a title that requires a later version of Kindle for PC.
It works now. I think it was due to the massive AWS outage from yesterday.
hecq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #1350
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I haven't been able to get 1.17 registered even after multiple attempts and de-registering from the Amazon page (this appears to be down today, I assume due to the outage). Any other tips on getting 1.17 to register?
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc