Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2021, 03:01 AM   #43201
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Right now I'm resting my back. Our dishwasher flooded the kitchen earlier today. I just finished clearing a blockage in our dishwasher's drain and I'm running it again (with a towel spread out under the door panel) to see if it floods again.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:42 AM   #43202
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Idling away my time on the internet for a while, as I wait for my washing machine to complete its cycle. No shopping to do today, so just pottering about the house mostly!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #43203
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
So far, every day of this week has been One Of Those Days. So I've decided not to feel guilty and make a batch of oatmeal cranberry cookies for myself tonight. I've also got some blueberries and I made my favourite tea (cinnamon, star anise and fresh orange and lemon).

Whilst the cookies are cooling I'm going to find something fun to watch, something that doesn't require much mental effort to follow/enjoy.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #43204
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
So far, every day of this week has been One Of Those Days. So I've decided not to feel guilty and make a batch of oatmeal cranberry cookies for myself tonight. I've also got some blueberries and I made my favourite tea (cinnamon, star anise and fresh orange and lemon).

Whilst the cookies are cooling I'm going to find something fun to watch, something that doesn't require much mental effort to follow/enjoy.
I've actually pretty much given up on 99% of current Telly/movies. I'm currently bingeing out on Perry Mason from the 50's-60's and The Wild Wild West, (such a silly hoot) as well. I needed things that didn't argue with me, lecture me, etc. Oh, and I have Hatari queued up, which I simply love.

I tried to watch that new Netflix thing, Hellbound, but daaaaayyyyam, talk about grotesquely violent. I don't even normally mind violence; all for gratuitous violence in movies ("you kilt mah dawg, and now you gotta die"), but DAMN.

I did (mostly) make it through The Squid Game or whatever that was called. I foresaw the reveal, however.

A kinda, maybe spoiler. Tried not to make it so, but, you've been warned:

Spoiler:
I also thought that the end player, so to speak, should stop whingeing around and feeling bl**dy sorry for himself, but that's just me.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #43205
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Spent the afternoon pushing leaves around, off the sidewalk and driveway ... now relaxing with a Guinness ...

I've been binging Acorn TV shows - currently Vera - Brenda Blethyn nails the role.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #43206
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Spent the afternoon pushing leaves around, off the sidewalk and driveway ... now relaxing with a Guinness ...

I've been binging Acorn TV shows - currently Vera - Brenda Blethyn nails the role.
I watched a few eps and then started working through the books from the library while we were moving. Frustratingly the CHPL does not have book 6.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #43207
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I like Vera, but my husband can't read the captioning quickly enough to enjoy it.

Hitch
Old 11-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #43208
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I like Vera, but my husband can't read the captioning quickly enough to enjoy it.

Hitch
Yeah - you really need captioning for those thick accents.

And, Perry Mason and Wild, Wild West are favorites of mine too.

I read the Vera books long ago, might have to do some re-reads.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #43209
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yeah - you really need captioning for those thick accents.

And, Perry Mason and Wild, Wild West are favorites of mine too.

I read the Vera books long ago, might have to do some re-reads.
It's really a shame--we've been watchers of BritTelly for dog's years but as Mr. H's hearing has gone, even though he now has top-of-the-line aids (and then some), he just can't catch enough to hybridize his way (sound plus reading for what he misses) for them. And some shows or movies, for example, almost anything that Guy Richie does, fuhgeddaboudit.

And to be fair, for anyone like him, it's like...speed-reading. He can't see what's going on, on the screen, because he's too busy reading. He can't tell one character from the next, because he doesn't see them enough to say "oh, well, Gracie is the brunette and Grizelda is the blonde..."

Happily, I do like a lot fo the older shows that didn't sound-effect you into next week, and he can hear those and movies from the 30's and early 40's quite well. But the moment you have two people talking at once, or voices over sound effects, forget it.

Sigh.

Hitch
Old 11-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #43210
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I started using captions just for watching British telly - specifically for Dr. Who episodes that have dialogue occurring with loud heavy sound effects (usually explosions) and for Masterpiece Theater episodes where background music overwhelms the dialogue.

It can be challenging to read the captions and still see all the action or expressions on the actors.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #43211
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've actually pretty much given up on 99% of current Telly/movies. I'm currently bingeing out on Perry Mason from the 50's-60's and The Wild Wild West, (such a silly hoot) as well. I needed things that didn't argue with me, lecture me, etc. Oh, and I have Hatari queued up, which I simply love.

I tried to watch that new Netflix thing, Hellbound, but daaaaayyyyam, talk about grotesquely violent. I don't even normally mind violence; all for gratuitous violence in movies ("you kilt mah dawg, and now you gotta die"), but DAMN.

I did (mostly) make it through The Squid Game or whatever that was called. I foresaw the reveal, however.

A kinda, maybe spoiler. Tried not to make it so, but, you've been warned:

Spoiler:
I also thought that the end player, so to speak, should stop whingeing around and feeling bl**dy sorry for himself, but that's just me.

Hitch
I ended up watching House of Secrets on Netflix, a three part true crime documentary about a family of 11 from Dehli that's found dead in their house. Recommended.

I haven't watched Squid Game, yet. I thought that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything not English or Dutch. Though House of Secrets proved that wrong. Plus I suspect that it's one of those series that I need to be in the mood for to enjoy. I thought of watching Hellbound, but it had read somewhere it was really gory and wasn't in the mood for that either.

I've been a bit adrift lately about what to watch. I'm enjoying CSI: Vegas. Even if one of the cast/crew members remarked that "It isn't the CSI of your parents". That made me feel old.

Funny you mention Vera, I was thinking of starting the series from the start. On the other hand my to watch movie list is getting out of hand, so I'm using a randomizer app to watch a couple of them a week and try to work my way through them.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #43212
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Happily, I do like a lot fo the older shows that didn't sound-effect you into next week, and he can hear those and movies from the 30's and early 40's quite well. But the moment you have two people talking at once, or voices over sound effects, forget it.

Sigh.

Hitch
To be fair, my hearing is great and even I have trouble following some series and movies. Where the music/sound effects are loud and the actors mumble. I end up with my headphones on and even then I'm adjusting the volume constantly.

As a Dutch person I grew up with subtitles. in the 80s and 90s it was very common for children/teen shows to be subtitled and it's natural for me (although I usually put on the English subtitles since the Dutch are sometimes not correct and it annoys me).
Old 11-21-2021, 02:28 AM   #43213
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
To be fair, my hearing is great and even I have trouble following some series and movies. Where the music/sound effects are loud and the actors mumble. I end up with my headphones on and even then I'm adjusting the volume constantly.

As a Dutch person I grew up with subtitles. in the 80s and 90s it was very common for children/teen shows to be subtitled and it's natural for me (although I usually put on the English subtitles since the Dutch are sometimes not correct and it annoys me).
No, you're right. One of my rather remarkable gifts is that I have extraordinary hearing (which, which a hearing-disabled spouse, is both blessing and curse) and *I* have trouble hearing or parsing/segregating things today.

When the series Inspector Lewis showed up, I was begging Barrington Pheloung to TURN IT DOWN. Honest to s**t, it was blasting and you couldn't hear anything over it.

Mr. H just doesn't read that quickly. All of his reading, forever, has been heavy, academic-type stuff upon which he focuses, so he simply never developed the habit of very fast skim-reading for novels, etc. He reads all the time, but rarely will he read fiction for entertainment. I will read the captions in the time allotted, most times, but he struggles with it.

Hitch
Old 11-27-2021, 01:49 AM   #43214
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Packing for a night at my sister's place. After work I'm cycling to her place (hopefully the rain has stopped by then). We have two series we want to finish watching this weekend and maybe start Wheel of Time. We might go on a walk tomorrow if the weather is nice and we feel like it.

But first this morning the gas/heater guy is coming. To check the gas heater in the living room and check and and install my new second hand gas heater. Keeping my fingers crossed I have warm rooms when I get back from my sister's place tomorrow evening.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:33 PM   #43215
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Recuperating.

A couple of weeks ago someone tried to close the garage door (with a LiftMaster garage door opener) while a small piece of furniture was in the way. During the course of the calamity the anchor bracket for the travel rail literally ripped out of the wall. (There are a few slightly bent pieces of sheet metal, but I think those are mostly cosmetic.)

Honestly, I put a lot of blame on the installer. Of the two lag bolts holding the bracket to the wall, it looks like one had too large a pilot hole. It also looks like the door travel was too long and when the door closed it put too much pressure on the rail.

Well, the anchor is back in place with one of the original lag bolts (the good one) and two new ones (with properly sized pilot holes). I also reset the upper and lower travel limits for the door, and double checked the safety auto-reverse setting.

The door appears to be working.

My back and knees have never been happy about spending long periods of time on a ladder, and they're even less happy about it now. But it's done, and I believe I have some Zinfandel in the garage. (And now the door opens!)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?