Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ Which one is the face of a murderer?

lololol.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ Which one is the face of a murderer?

The first one is Curly Howard and the other looks like a disgruntled Russian.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #33
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
a disgruntled Russian.

I was thinking Mafioso, but Jon's is better.

Actually, if the man is the murderer, out to kill the "damsel in distress", his unattractive appearance could be well-chosen for the character. That will prejudice the reader against the character before they even start the book (if that is the author's goal).

But I agree, if the woman is the victim, the character as she appears here is not very sympatico.

And a (perhaps naïve) comment -- I do like the gray-scale with selected words in red. How would it look with LOVE and KILL in red? Or is that too cliché?

EDIT TO ADD---
A quote has been nagging my memory --- “The test of any good fiction is that you should care something for the characters; the good to succeed, the bad to fail. The trouble with most fiction is that you want them all to land in hell together, as quickly as possible.” -- Mark Twain

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 09-05-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: ADD QUOTATION
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #34
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. Here's my take: the man on the cover is a mobster. A hitman. He is not supposed to be attractive. The guy looks like a mobster. I think the girl is attractive. Both characters fit my story perfectly.

I know some of you disagree. I respect that.

I've decided to go with the cover, so I'm good on getting any more feedback. Thanks again.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. Here's my take: the man on the cover is a mobster. A hitman. He is not supposed to be attractive. The guy looks like a mobster. I think the girl is attractive. Both characters fit my story perfectly.

I've decided to go with the cover, so I'm good on getting any more feedback. Thanks again.
Can you do us all a favor and keep us informed on how the book sells?

Gregg,
I am sorry but if you were going for attractive woman, you missed the mark. She looks like she would just as soon kill you as look at you and I am not 100% sure that is a woman. That expression and the symmetry look very masculine to me.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-06-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Well, good luck with that, Gregg.

Hitch
Old 09-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
The man on the cover doesn't look menacing to me, he looks disgusting. At best, he looks like a caricature of a mobster. I wouldn't want to read about him.

The woman isn't unattractive, but she's not relatable. My reaction to her is negative; she's too distant and looks more like a pouty catwalk model than a person whose plight I should care about.

Also, even if you're committed to those two faces, the cover looks off. Are they in the same space? The cover looks like two separate images poorly photoshopped together. I truly don't get it.

Last edited by Catlady; 09-06-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Am I wrong in thinking Gregg didn't want feedback, he just wanted affirmation?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I am starting to think he likes being whipped.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The man on the cover doesn't look menacing to me, he looks disgusting. At best, he looks like a caricature of a mobster. I wouldn't want to read about him.

The woman isn't unattractive, but she's not relatable. My reaction to her is negative; she's too distant and looks more like a pouty catwalk model than a person whose plight I should care about.
Nah. Eyes are too small, cheekbones are not adequate, nose is wrong and that's not a pout. Not for the runway or photo work. And yes, I'd know.

Quote:
Also, even if you're committed to those two faces, the cover looks off. Are they in the same space? The cover looks like two separate images poorly photoshopped together. I truly don't get it.
I think we all have to realize that Gregg wasn't interested in our feedback. He thinks the woman is attractive, and as the man is "evil," it's okay, I guess, to put people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird
issybird Am I wrong in thinking Gregg didn't want feedback, he just wanted affirmation?
I'm not sure that your inference is that far off. I mean...obviously, if he were seeking real feedback, he wouldn't be blowing it off--right? This is like doing a beta read for someone, telling them that you hated the book, and they shrug you off saying "oh, well, you just don't understand it."

If this was my cover, and the woman was supposed to be the victim, the heroine, whatever, I'd damn sure want to think that people responded to her in a positive way, but it's his, so...whatever.

We'll all know better the next time we're asked.

{shrug}

Hitch
Old 09-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find the guy on the cover to be dumpy looking and the girl is just plain. He looks like he's sitting in a waiting room and she just looks oh so bored. So to me, the look you are going for don't work. Also,that chair he is sitting on doesn't work. Nor does where the title is placed.

One thing you have to realize is that the first thing most people see of your book is the cover and if they don't like it, they'll pass and not even read the description.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The guy looks like the stereotypical Mobster

Mobster and Hit Man are not synonymous. He might partake in a 'drive by shooting', bot not a well planned 'hit'
I think of a hit man as more athletic, maybe, ex-military
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #43
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
To be fair, Gregg presented two covers with the obvious implication he wanted to know if people preferred one or the other. (I prefer the one with the greyscale background.)

The fact that almost no one has liked either cover (to the extent that following the opinions would require starting again from the scratch), well that's a different kettle of fish, and rather harder to deal with.

Everyone's had their say and Gregg has responded in a reasonable manner. I am not sure what else we might expect.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni Patel View Post
This looks like a real crime story from the cover page. Compelling!
It looks like a hastily made cover. It looks like different bits pasted together and then the text put on top. None of it fits together.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
To be fair, Gregg presented two covers with the obvious implication he wanted to know if people preferred one or the other. (I prefer the one with the greyscale background.)

The fact that almost no one has liked either cover (to the extent that following the opinions would require starting again from the scratch), well that's a different kettle of fish, and rather harder to deal with.

Everyone's had their say and Gregg has responded in a reasonable manner. I am not sure what else we might expect.
True. Excellent point. And as I said--it's his cover. {shrug}

Hitch