Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
tranthe
tranthe began at the beginning.

Device: free
Please help before i mess up more

So i bought my first ebook this week....actually my first 4.

When i thought about ebooks i pictured in my mind downloading books i had purchased, saving them on my home core server and opening them up in my favorite ereader... i like kobo and the kindle app so far..

Anyways.. first book came from amazon and i later figured out that you dont actually own the book.. meh.. ok whatever.. so then i go to ebooks.com and they said ON THE SITE that i could download pdf... well i buy three books but then when i download them it forces me to download the ereader app and i still cant figure out where it actually downloaded the files.

Anyways. What am I doing wrong? Can you guys tell me where to buy books that i can actually download and save and not have to rely on some website staying in business!
tranthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Install calibre.

Do a web search for Apprentice Alf.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 09-06-2017 at 09:24 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranthe View Post
S so then i go to ebooks.com and they said ON THE SITE that i could download pdf... well i buy three books but then when i download them it forces me to download the ereader app and i still cant figure out where it actually downloaded the files.
Most if not all books from eBooks.com use Adobe DRM and are downloaded using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). You end up downloading a file with a .acsm extension which you open with ADE which then downloads the actual book. ADE books (ePub and PDF) are saved in Documents/My Digital Editions on a Windows PC (you don't mention your OS).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Can you guys tell me where to buy books that i can actually download and save and not have to rely on some website staying in business!
Amazon, Kobo, Barnes and Noble and Google Play all allow you to download books to your computer one way or another. I buy from Amazon and download them using Kindle for PC. I recommend an older version. 1.17 maybe. You can download that here (look to the right for older versions): http://filehippo.com/download_kindle_for_pc/

The problem is your downloaded books will have DRM. So you can only read that Kindle book on a Kindle device or app.

There are workarounds, but advice here will be sketchy, because of forum rules. I second doubleshuffle's suggestion.

If you want to experiment with downloading books and making them your own, try purchasing some free books from Amazon or Kobo so you aren't losing anything while you learn.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-06-2017 at 11:17 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Can you guys tell me where to buy books that i can actually download and save and not have to rely on some website staying in business!
All of the stores I can think of... Amazon, Kobo, Google, eBooks.com, Books A Million, etc. allow you to download a file to your local computer. Some of those books will however have DRM which will require those books only be read in an approved app. If the books are DRM-free or have been uninfected using Apprentice Alf's tools (which we can't discuss in detail here) they can be read in any app that supports the file format of the book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert