Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:18 AM   #26476
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Be interested to know what you think. I've read #4, The Girl in the Spider's Web, and ATM have decided not to bother with any more.
I read The Girl in the Spider's Web as well, and I was glad I had got it on a free promotion. It just didn't have the spark of the first three. It's not really surprising, it's not easy to reproduce a best-selling style.

Also, I'm astonished to find that they did not use the same translator for the English language version as for the first three books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #26477
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished listening to The Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. Very enjoyable.
That is an excellent book. I loved it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #26478
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is an excellent book. I loved it.
I am looking forward to her third book, due out next year.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #26479
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been reading Bucky F&%@ing Dent by David Duchovny for the book club and so far, its rather underwhelming and it's supposed to be funny, but it's not. I'll give it a go again later and see if it gets better. It cannot get worse.
Quote:
Ted Fullilove, aka Mr. Peanut, is not like other Ivy League grads. He shares an apartment with Goldberg, his beloved battery-operated fish, sleeps on a bed littered with yellow legal pads penned with what he hopes will be the next great American Novel, and spends the waning days of the Carter administration at Yankee Stadium, waxing poetic while slinging peanuts to pay the rent.

When Ted hears the news that his estranged father, Marty, is dying of lung cancer, he immediately moves back into his childhood home, where a whirlwind of revelations ensues. The browbeating absentee father of Ted’s youth tries to make up for lost time, but his health dips drastically whenever his beloved Red Sox lose. And so, with help from Mariana—the Nuyorican grief counselor with whom Ted promptly falls in love—and a crew of neighborhood old-timers, Ted orchestrates the illusion of a Boston winning streak, enabling Marty and the Red Sox to reverse the Curse of the Bambino and cruise their way to World Series victory. Well, sort of.
So for now, I've decided to read something different. I'm reading the 17th Spenser book. I'm now reading Stardust by Robert B. Parker.
Quote:
Spenser's never had a client like Jill Joyce, the star of TV's Fifty Minutes. She's beautiful, bitchy, sexy--and someone is stalking her. Spenser can hardly blame the would-be assassin...until he means the true meaning of "stage fright."
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #26480
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I am looking forward to her third book, due out next year.
Sometime later this year I'll read the second book before the third is available.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #26481
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sometime later this year I'll read the second book before the third is available.
Me too, LOL: it's queued up after Goblet of Fire. Meanwhile, I have Anne Leckie's latest queued up after my current non-fic read.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:33 AM   #26482
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Ruin of Angels by Max Gladstone
Which was most enjoyable. A fascinating system of magic and divinity, and nice to see hints of future problems.

Next up: The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn. Looking like a fun SF romp at the moment.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #26483
onewiththeanswer
onewiththeanswer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am currently reading The Hating Game: A Novel by Sally Thorne which a friend of mine suggested several months ago and I was postponing for so long. The book has a comic scent which I really enjoy!
onewiththeanswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:22 AM   #26484
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I am currently reading Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love. It is a humorous book.
It is by Jill Conner Browne.
I already read the cookbook. Also hilarious. It went into the special category of read this and gain 10 pounds.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #26485
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
I've been immersing myself in darkest London lately.

I abandoned Little Dorrit as far too tedious as few months ago, so it was with some trepidation that I started what is supposedly Dickens's least-read novel, Barnaby Rudge, his "other" historical fiction, set during the Gordon Riots. I was enthralled, as it turns out. Wonderfully evocative setting and characters, marred only slightly by too much coincidence.

At the same time, I've been reading They All Love Jack by the film-maker Bruce Robinson, an excoriating account of the intentionally botched investigation into Jack the Ripper to serve the ends of the aristocratic and power elite. His tone of high umbrage suits the material and while I don't have the background to judge the merits of his own Ripper candidate, I am entirely persuaded by his account of corruption in high places.

Both of these books are easily among the best I've read all year.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #26486
orlok
THE END. Yes!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
At the same time, I've been reading They All Love Jack by the film-maker Bruce Robinson, an excoriating account of the intentionally botched investigation into Jack the Ripper to serve the ends of the aristocratic and power elite. His tone of high umbrage suits the material and while I don't have the background to judge the merits of his own Ripper candidate, I am entirely persuaded by his account of corruption in high places.
Thanks for the recommendation. Having just recently listened to Jack the Ripper: Case Closed by Gyles Brandreth (a fictional account of Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde investigating the potential candidates for Jack), this looks worth a read. I haven't yet researched Brandreth's conclusion as to who Jack was, but it made sense at the time.

(And the director of the marvellous Withnail & I must be worth a try, IMHO )

Last edited by orlok; Today at 12:53 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:09 PM   #26487
kansaskyle
Zealot
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I abandoned Little Dorrit as far too tedious as few months ago, so it was with some trepidation that I started what is supposedly Dickens's least-read novel, Barnaby Rudge, his "other" historical fiction, set during the Gordon Riots. I was enthralled, as it turns out. Wonderfully evocative setting and characters, marred only slightly by too much coincidence.
I'm sorry to see you abandoned Little Dorrit. I enjoyed the view into the debtor's prison system, love of family, and there was even a mystery thrown into the mix!

Thanks for mentioning Barnaby Rudge. I'll add it to my list.

I'm currently reading Dickens' Nicholas Nickelby.
kansaskyle is online now   Reply With Quote