Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #16
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Thanks, I am totally content with Kindle Previewer. It does exactly what I need it to do.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
If you take your epub and change the extension to .txt, you can use Send-to-Kindle and Amazon will convert it into an azw3 for you with WhisperSync functionality. (I was using KindleGen to convert my epubs before I learned this trick.)

Example: bookname.epub > bookname.txt

I usually use the Send-to-Kindle app because then you can input the title and author. If you email it to your Kindle, the title will be the filename and the author will be your email address.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 02:07 AM   #18
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
If you take your epub and change the extension to .txt, you can use Send-to-Kindle and Amazon will convert it into an azw3 for you with WhisperSync functionality. (I was using KindleGen to convert my epubs before I learned this trick.)

I usually use the Send-to-Kindle app because then you can input the title and author. If you email it to your Kindle, the title will be the filename and the author will be your email address.
Hey thanks! I tried that too and it worked (retains hyphens). However, I must say that I prefer to send the books via Send to Kindle as I can enter author and title there. That should speed everything up even more...

Edit:
I think I found out something cool: you can drag an “epub renamed txt” file onto the Send to Kindle app, enter title and author and the resulting azw3 will be named correctly on the device...

Last edited by johnnyb; 10-18-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I think I found out something cool: you can drag an “epub renamed txt” file onto the Send to Kindle app, enter title and author and the resulting azw3 will be named correctly on the device...
Does it use the title and author you enter? I would have expected it to use the metadata in the ePub file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does it use the title and author you enter? I would have expected it to use the metadata in the ePub file.
For Send to Kindle it uses what you enter. I have an issue with my MAC Send to Kindle where it leaves the author field populated by the previous author. Then puts the current author next to the title, for example:-

Title: Count The Shells - Charlie Cochrane
Author: CJ Elliot

If I don't change the Author to Charlie Cochrane and delete her name from the title that is what appears on my kindle for the book title and author.

I have tried to get Amazon to see and fix the problem but they fail to believe me

My Mac Send to Kindle is version 1.1.0.237 last updated in 27/09/16 and it's the latest version.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
For Send to Kindle it uses what you enter. I have an issue with my MAC Send to Kindle where it leaves the author field populated by the previous author. Then puts the current author next to the title, for example:-

Title: Count The Shells - Charlie Cochrane
Author: CJ Elliot

If I don't change the Author to Charlie Cochrane and delete her name from the title that is what appears on my kindle for the book title and author.

I have tried to get Amazon to see and fix the problem but they fail to believe me

My Mac Send to Kindle is version 1.1.0.237 last updated in 27/09/16 and it's the latest version.
Interesting - thanks! I'm a little surprised that it doesn't use the metadata from the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Interesting - thanks! I'm a little surprised that it doesn't use the metadata from the book.
Amazon insist it does use the metadata which is why they don't believe me no matter how many screen shots I sent them. I asked them to test it out at their end but I never got anywhere with them. The whole experience of dealing with them was infuriating, i gave up as my blood pressure couldn't handle their obstinance.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-18-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I am impressed at the lengths Amazon will go to to pretend epub doesn't exist.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #24
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
In my case (also Send to Kindle for Mac), it has always overwritten the metadata and has been using the file name for the title and the last entered author for author for as long as I remember. No big deal, just a quick copy and paste operation (if your filename also has the author in it )
I think I have found the perfect method for me, now let's hope Amazon will not take it away
Old 10-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
... I think I found out something cool: you can drag an “epub renamed txt” file onto the Send to Kindle app, enter title and author and the resulting azw3 will be named correctly on the device...
Yes. That's why I wrote:

Quote:
I usually use the Send-to-Kindle app because then you can input the title and author.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:16 AM   #26
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Yes. That's why I wrote:
hahaha
I am apparently a terrible reader
I have to admit, I only skimmed through the post, read “try according to the rename method” and then started experimenting and “found something out”...
Sorry, all credit goes to you!