Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
MrPjax
MrPjax began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Embedded fonts

I have retail epubs that have embedded fonts. I added some fonts to my book I made and they show up fine in Calibre and the Aldiko app on my tablet. But I found that they don't always show on different ereaders.

Could this be because I am using the .ttf format and not .otf??

Thanks.
MrPjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, that should not matter. There could be various reasons:
1. Wrong reference to the fonts in either CSS, XHTML or OPF
2. Font is obfuscated in a non-standard manner
3. the font is not included in the ePUB
4. the OS/2 Version property of the font is not 3 but higher or auto.

Number 4 is the most tricky one. You can check (and adapt) the OS/2 version property via FontForge.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
MrPjax

I think my problem is in the opf. How do you add the info there for the fonts?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
MrPjax

I get this error:

Quote:
The <item> element's "media-type" attribute has value "application/vnd-ms-opentype", but the file's media type is "application/x-font-ttf"
and

Quote:
The <item> element's "media-type" attribute has value "application/vnd-ms-opentype", but the file's media type is "application/vnd.ms-opentype"
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Change the media type would suffice. It is saying what should be there...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPjax View Post
I get this error:

and
Weird The quote won't show

Look close at #2
one has a period, the other a dash after vnd
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is a possibly incorrect error message. Check with epubcheck 3.x because FCis wrong in this case saying what needs to be there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
MrPjax

If the font is done properly, it should show in ALL ereaders, correct? My main use for a custom font is chapter titles and section dividers on the story. The story main text should be the Times font.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPjax View Post
If the font is done properly, it should show in ALL ereaders, correct?
Yes, but some ePub reading apps ignore styles and/or don't support embedded fonts. Also some incorrectly designed fonts may cause rendering errors.

BTW, since the error message that you got seems to have come from FlightCrew you also may want to check your ePub with EpubCheck Online. It also couldn't hurt to test it with ADE.

If neither FlightCrew nor EpubCheck report any errors and the book looks OK in ADE, it's definitely the apps fault. I.e. there's nothing you can do, except maybe defining sans-serif as the fallback font for your heading styles.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Yes, but some ePub reading apps ignore styles and/or don't support embedded fonts. Also some incorrectly designed fonts may cause rendering errors.
Even Nook's HD's will ignore the publisher styling--even when the file is directly side-loaded. Be aware and prepared for that. Many devices are moving closer to total user controls over the fonts, even those that are embedded.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote