Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Darkitow
Enthusiast
Darkitow doesn't litterDarkitow doesn't litterDarkitow doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Need to uninstall hacks to update my K3?

Hi there! As the title says, I'm thinking about updating my Kindle, but I got it jailbroken, with a screensaver and expanded symbol pannel hacks. Can I just update, or should I uninstall the hacks and jailbreak first?
Darkitow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to Developer's forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkitow View Post
Hi there! As the title says, I'm thinking about updating my Kindle, but I got it jailbroken, with a screensaver and expanded symbol pannel hacks. Can I just update, or should I uninstall the hacks and jailbreak first?
You will probably have to un-install the screensaver changes.
You might have to un-install the symbol panel changes.
Leaving the jailbreak on the device **should** be alright.

I would suggest that you just try to install the Amazon update, following their directions.
If it succeeds, great, your done.
If it fails with an error code (it probably will) then it is time to start removing your changes.

If the screensaver changes was something that you "did by hand" from various posts found on the 'net - - -
Then we have a "how to" indexed in the master index of how to remove it "by hand".

Otherwise, just run the uninstaller from each package you added until the Amazon update completes without an error code.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Darkitow
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick answer, and sorry for posting in the wrong place.

After the update, I suppose I should re-apply the hacks, including the jailbreak? I was going to uninstall everything anyways, but unfortunately I installed the hacks two years ago and I can't find the uninstallation files for the hacks, so I ask this mainly so I don't need to dig them out.

I guess I'll look into it when my Kindle charges.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkitow View Post
I guess I'll look into it when my Kindle charges.
Super! A great "first step" - get a full charge on it before starting.

If everything "goes to hell" - well, Kubrick can re-install the system image on a K3.
It takes 2 to 3 hours to reflash a K3 - but Kubrick (and a fully charged K3 battery) can bail you out of whatever trouble you might get into.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Darkitow
Enthusiast

Is there an archive for the old screensaver hack files? I've been looking for them here but I can't find the uninstaller for my version. I'm using the 0.22.N, but no luck. =/

An idea that just came to my mind, not sure if it would work... Can I just install the latest version of the hack, then use that one's uninstaller?

Last edited by Darkitow; 07-05-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Darkitow: In the specific case of my stuff, you can safely use the uninstallers from the latest versions, they handle all previous versions just fine (which is why there's no archive, that, and the fact that using an up to date package ensures you get the latest bug fixes, even for something as trivial as an uninstaller ).

And, if the intent is to uninstall, then, no, you don't need to 'update' them by installing the latest version just to uninstall them right away.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Darkitow
Enthusiast

Ahh silly me! That did it, thanks you very much for your reply. =) This time just in case I think I'll make a folder to keep the uninstallation files somewhere safe in the Kindle so I don't forget about this. <_<