Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-10-2023, 07:30 AM   #1
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Mobi to azw3

I just got a Mobi ebook from a friend, and converted it to azw3. But on the Kindle there was just absolute gibberish on screen with weird characters etc.
Does this conversion not usually work?
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:49 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If the source book is OK, the conversion should be good. Does it look right when viewed in calibre?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
I just got a Mobi ebook from a friend, and converted it to azw3. But on the Kindle there was just absolute gibberish on screen with weird characters etc.
Does this conversion not usually work?
Have a look at the KF8 eBook in the Calibre editor and see what's there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a look at the KF8 eBook in the Calibre editor and see what's there.
if all else fails, use the kindle unpack plagin to get at what's really in the mobi. if its print replica, that plug in will extract a pdf
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
if all else fails, use the kindle unpack plagin to get at what's really in the mobi. if its print replica, that plug in will extract a pdf
That's also a good idea.
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 07:44 PM   #6
JollyRoger
Zealot

I don't really understand these answers at all, thanks for trying to help though
Old 03-10-2023, 08:38 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps your friend's book was encumbered with DRM?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:51 AM   #8
JollyRoger
Zealot

Both azw3 and mobi look fine on my kindle. On hers the azw3 was just gibberish but the mobi I made from the azw3 was fine. There was no drm on the book.
I just realised I made a massive booboo I am sorry.

So I had an azw3 file. It worked perfectly on my Kindle. I sent it to my friend so she could read it too, but it was just gibberish on her screen. So in Calibre I converted it to mobi which was also perfect on my Kindle. And when I sent it to her the mobi version viewed perfectly on hers too.
So I am confused why the original azw3 file viewed perfectly on my Kindle but not hers?
The only reason I ask is that sometimes when I convert to Mobi the conversion is bad so I prefer to stick with azw3 if I can.

Last edited by JollyRoger; 03-11-2023 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:53 AM   #9
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If the source book is OK, the conversion should be good. Does it look right when viewed in calibre?
On mine yes, both are perfect
Old 03-11-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps your friend's book was encumbered with DRM?
But it wouldn't convert if it had DRM.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:52 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What advantages are there from converting from mobi to azw3?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
Both azw3 and mobi look fine on my kindle. On hers the azw3 was just gibberish but the mobi I made from the azw3 was fine. There was no drm on the book.
I just realised I made a massive booboo I am sorry.

So I had an azw3 file. It worked perfectly on my Kindle. I sent it to my friend so she could read it too, but it was just gibberish on her screen. So in Calibre I converted it to mobi which was also perfect on my Kindle. And when I sent it to her the mobi version viewed perfectly on hers too.
So I am confused why the original azw3 file viewed perfectly on my Kindle but not hers?
The only reason I ask is that sometimes when I convert to Mobi the conversion is bad so I prefer to stick with azw3 if I can.
It may be that her Kindle is so old it can't handle azw3. What Kindle does she have?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:10 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
What advantages are there from converting from mobi to azw3?
Custom fonts and the boldness slider.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:59 PM   #14
JollyRoger
Zealot

I shall check what Kindle she has cos tbh I don't know. Thanks.