Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #15991
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Wow! Dickens to Platt/Wright in one post. Impressive!

I actually read the first one recently. I think I had a similar reaction to you. It was OK and I wasn't sure I'd continue. But given your reaction to the second, I'll give it a go.

If you're really patient, you can get the first 18 episodes for free. I have all 3 seasons and I haven't paid for a single episode. I just look out for them when they're free at Amazon.
LOL, well that's me. I'm the same with music and movies. I like Dickens but after reading one of his books I always feel the need to read something quick and easy and Yesterday's Gone is just that.

The first episode was to introduce the characters, the next two start the ball rolling and start to give glimpses what has happened. I'm not saying that it's the best book/series I've ever read but it's easy and fun and that's something I like. Also because they're short it's easy to read an episode when I need to take a short break from a longer book I'm reading.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #15992
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
There's a rash of people in this forum that have read or are intending to read this book in 2013. It may have been triggered by one of our members who made a blanket recommendation that everyone should read Cannery Row this year.

It was such a bold recommendation that I believe it may have had a impact on a number of people. I don't mind saying I was one of them and I have it on my 2013 TBR list.

Of course, I'm sure there's no shortage of people enjoying this book in other years as well.
I deny anything I might have started.

Next on my reading list Deliverance by James Dickey. I've been looking forward to this one since I started my crazy read a book for every year you've been alive challenge this year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #15993
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's fine to have an open mind - just don't let it be so open that your brain falls out .
Wise words...

Yet... at the same time, how many people believe there is a God?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #15994
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You probably should turn your scepticism up a notch.

Still on the R A MacAvoy book. It's interesting, but I do wonder where it's leading.
I will, Paul. Thanks for the advise, sometimes I trust strangers 100% without any doubt.

But just to be clear. I picked that book out of nowhere only to change the genre a bit, fantasy and sci-fi can be uninteresting sometimes. I don't trust the psychic or her stories any more than I did before reading the book. I just found them interesting, and noted that a number of people believe there is life after death. As for me, seeing is believing. I'll see it for myself before taking sides.

ETA: and these things are good for keeping an open mind, too, like what Stitchawl said.

Last edited by maianhvk; 03-19-2013 at 10:05 AM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #15995
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Wise words...

Yet... at the same time, how many people believe there is a God?
I fear further discussion would have to take place in the P&R forum!

Back to my paperwork.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #15996
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, I finished _A Storm of Swords_ book 3 of Fire and Ice, and I think that's gonna be it for this series for me. I just seemed to ramble on, and while there were some good parts, they are so few and far between and the story lines just end in the death of the main characters. Also, I've seen many bad review about books 4/5.

So many long books I've read recently... so I'm getting back into catching up on some Star Trek books. I've started _A Stitch In Time_ by Andrew J Robinson. This is in the Deep Space 9 relaunch series and this is an author that is new to me. The story is about Garak and his childhood on Cardasia.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #15997
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, I finished _A Storm of Swords_ book 3 of Fire and Ice, and I think that's gonna be it for this series for me. I just seemed to ramble on, and while there were some good parts, they are so few and far between and the story lines just end in the death of the main characters. Also, I've seen many bad review about books 4/5.

So many long books I've read recently... so I'm getting back into catching up on some Star Trek books. I've started _A Stitch In Time_ by Andrew J Robinson. This is in the Deep Space 9 relaunch series and this is an author that is new to me. The story is about Garak and his childhood on Cardasia.

BOb
You're stopping at the right spot. I wish I hadn't wasted my time with books 4 & 5 since they really didn't go anywhere at all. I'm still hoping the series will pick up again but I might wait until at least another 2 books are released before getting into the series again.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #15998
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Dreams... wanna REALLY feel creepy? There are little bitty bugs that live their entire lives on our eyelashes. So small that they can move right under the skin where the lash emerges and go back inside again. And we never even know they are there! Everyone has 'em, and they do absolutely no harm at all.

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
For people who really do wish to know more in this vein, I highly recommend biology professor Roger M. Knutson's Furtive Fauna: A Field Guide to the Creatures Who Live On You, which has apparently made it to an e-book edition....
That sounds disgustingly delightful. I just downloaded a sample of professor Knutson's book to my Paperwhite. Thanks!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #15999
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
There's even more rambling in the next 2 books of that series. I might give up on it myself. Of course it'll be another 5 years for the next book anyways, I'm sure.

A Stitch In Time is one of the best Star Trek novels ever. You're surely not to be disappointed!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #16000
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Next on my reading list Deliverance by James Dickey. I've been looking forward to this one since I started my crazy read a book for every year you've been alive challenge this year.
I read that one many many moons ago, and can't remember it all that well, as all I can picture is the movie (mainly *that* scene, plus an image of Burt Reynolds with his bowstring pulled taught - no that's not a euphemism...). Do seem to think the movie stayed fairly true to the book, and I did enjoy the novel, young and full of testerone as I was when I read it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #16001
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer.
WOW WOW WOW! This is one of my favourite books ever! The fact that the entire book consists of correspondence between all the characters is just brilliant. And I love the time and place setting of the book. Anyways, moving on now and next up is: The fault in our stars by John Green. Yes, I know: really really unoriginal, but I just have to know what everyone is talking about.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #16002
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks. Enjoyed the Black Prism and enjoying this one also.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #16003
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Battle of Corrin by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. Unlike the Dune diehards, I simply can't hate these newer books; I think they're interesting and fun reads despite being a far different tone than the originals.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #16004
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
WOW WOW WOW! This is one of my favourite books ever! The fact that the entire book consists of correspondence between all the characters is just brilliant. And I love the time and place setting of the book. Anyways, moving on now and next up is: The fault in our stars by John Green. Yes, I know: really really unoriginal, but I just have to know what everyone is talking about.
It seems like it's a historical fiction (one of my favorite genres) novel. I've added it to my wish list. Thanks!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #16005
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Lens of the World by R. A. MacAvoy.
I really liked it. Not your usual sort of fantasy adventure, and I liked the writing style.

Next up: The Heretic by David Drake and Tony Daniel. (If this is like many David Drake collaborations, David did the plotting and outline, and Tony did the actual writing. This can work very well, as it did with the Drake/Flint Belisarius series.)

From my recent April 2013 Baen Monthly Bundle purchase. (Bundle no longer available.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote