Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #61
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
We think it's a capacitive touch screen
Capacitive? With a stylus? Wouldn't the sylus need to be negatively charged then?
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #62
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
Person who decided to remove page turn buttons from under fingers holding the book killed the device. Period.
I would say that's typical SONY STYLE: nice looking but not practice.

To me, one advantage of ebook reader is that I can operate it by one hand. And now we are back at the starting point? The location of the remaining page-turn buttons doesn't seem to be convenient at all.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #63
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
My installed version of eBook Library says V2.2.00.18100, and when I click on check for updates, it says I am using the latest.
I don't think that'll be out until the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Capacitive? With a stylus? Wouldn't the sylus need to be negatively charged then?
... are fingers negatively charged? Surely they can make a stylus that works with a capacitive touch screen.

If they can't (I honestly don't know) then it would have to be some other sort of touch screen.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #64
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I also kinda think that the PRS-505 looks cooler/hi-tech. This 700 is just a big ol' rectangle. And they should have kept the 505's page-turn placement for those of us who wouldn't be using the touch screen.

Not hatin' on it, I'm just sayin'...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #65
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
To me, one advantage of ebook reader is that I can operate it by one hand. And now we are back at the starting point? The location of the remaining page-turn buttons doesn't seem to be convenient at all.
I've had a bit of time to think about this, and I think it could be held in one had by the edge, and swiped with the thumb.

Won't really know until somebody get's a hands-on report. Perhaps our pinch-hitter reporter will have a better answer -- I know there are PRS700's at the "Event."
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #66
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Um, looks REALLY thick.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #67
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Perhaps our pinch-hitter reporter will have a better answer -- I know there are PRS700's at the "Event."
Your who?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #68
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
... are fingers negatively charged? Surely they can make a stylus that works with a capacitive touch screen.
They are indeed, it's how capacitance works. You can make a stylus that does work, but it needs a power source - a small battery will do.

As an example, if you have an iPhone, you probably know that you can tap with a plain stylus all day long and nothing happens, but touch the screen with the negagtive pole of a AAA battery and it reacts just like a finger touch.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #69
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I'm a little disappointed but I have to admit that it blows the Kindle out of the water (except for the wireless). The hardware is slick and the touchscreen allows a lot more than just fingerswiping with the keyboard search, possible dictionary support and annotation that I think a lot of potential education and business users might find necessary. I think overall it's a good move, though a little WiFi would have gone a long way. I'm still holding on to my 500 for now, because all I do with it is read and I don't really have much need for the touchscreen/keyboard/annotation, but as soon as I can come up with a reason, I might get one.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #70
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Just realized that the one-handed reading might be difficult... ooh I'd love to get my hands on one to play. Button position is interesting.

On my PRS-500, reading in bed is usually right handed with my thumb using the bottom left < and > buttons. Or left handed with the left side buttons.

Hmm...
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #71
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
Um, looks REALLY thick.
Actually it could make it more comfortable to hold. At least I prefer the overall profile of PRS500 to PRS505. In any case, since it is not really a pocket gadget I could care less about the exact dimension.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #72
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
Too much to hope for a PRS-500 to PRS-700 trade-in like they're doing for the PRS-505? Been holding out until today for this announcement... now it looks like I want to finally upgrade my PRS-500
An answer of "No" by Sony would very likely have me waiting to see what Amazon comes out with as their next generation (and more likely to convert) since the discount offer would clearly have been put in place to clear the decks of 505s in prep for the 700.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #73
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
I would say that's typical SONY STYLE: nice looking but not practice.

I believe they actually tried to mimic iPhone style navigation.
The problem is that Aple have proprietary "multitouch" system , the only touch screen I saw that works good with a finger swiping , all other either work good only on press or require stylus.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #74
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Someone had already a hands-on experience with the touchscreen:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30027
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #75
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Quote:
Perhaps our pinch-hitter reporter will have a better answer -- I know there are PRS700's at the "Event."
Your who?
Our pinch-hitter. Nate was all set to go, but he had something come up suddenly, Alex found us a replacement who could go on short notice, and yes, he has a camera.

I'll let him reveal himself at his discretion (which I expect he'll do with a thread of his own) -- don't want to spoil his fun, doncha know.

Tags
front light, frontlight, prs700, sony reader, touch screen, touchscreen