Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
pepeday
pepeday doesn't litterpepeday doesn't litterpepeday doesn't litter

Device: inkBook Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Shan View Post
On my Boyue (awesome device, cut down before it's prime!), I used Xposed with GravityBox (JB edition) to put the reader in expanded desktop mode. I set it to not have any navigation or status bars. I then used GB to set the back button so that a double-tap took me home, and a long press brought up the status/navigation menu. This eliminated the black bars in all the apps I used.
I doubt this would work as the device is not rooted. Besides, I'm returning the device, which ONYX had the audacity to say that "it doesn't have any problems", as if a crooked screen is not a problem! I'm definitely not trying another one as I don't believe that it will be any better and that's sad because Android ereaders are great and I love certain features of it (like Moon+ integration with Dropbox)

I'll probably be going with a Kindle or Kobo Aura HD / Kobo H2O unless a decent Android reader comes along.
pepeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeday View Post
(cut).. unless a decent Android reader comes along.
..with google play
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
pepeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
..with google play
To be honest, I don't need Google Play. Email kinda sucks on an ereader (and I'd think that most google apps wouldn't work so great on ereader either).

The only thing needed is access for installing apps, which you get with aptoide, which works just fine. Where's that almighty 300dpi Android 4 ereader that actually works???
Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #19
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
To be honest, I don't need Google Play. Email kinda sucks on an ereader (and I'd think that most google apps wouldn't work so great on ereader either).

The only thing needed is access for installing apps, which you get with aptoide, which works just fine. Where's that almighty 300dpi Android 4 ereader that actually works???
no droidchess, no party for me, but makes sense what you say.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #20
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:

If this one ever becomes available, we shall see...
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...300ppi-screen/
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #21
pepeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
If this one ever becomes available, we shall see...
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...300ppi-screen/
I have no faith in that to be honest. I mean the inkBOOK is actually fairly decent...on paper. The execution is horrible and it's a shame as it shouldn't be. The usability problems that exist are dreadful and the screen issue is a serious quality control issue aswell.

For me, android readers should focus on creating a very simple launcher and compatibility with apps (i.e. provide a number of ways to access the features, not ones only compatible with their own apps). Hell, I wouldn't mind a reader that shipped without a reader app AT ALL and i'd just install moonReader...they could even make a small deal with the developer to make an eink-friendly theme and that would be it! Why waste money on developing??
Old 07-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #22
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no faith in that to be honest. I mean the inkBOOK is actually fairly decent...on paper. The execution is horrible and it's a shame as it shouldn't be. The usability problems that exist are dreadful and the screen issue is a serious quality control issue aswell.

For me, android readers should focus on creating a very simple launcher and compatibility with apps (i.e. provide a number of ways to access the features, not ones only compatible with their own apps). Hell, I wouldn't mind a reader that shipped without a reader app AT ALL and i'd just install moonReader...they could even make a small deal with the developer to make an eink-friendly theme and that would be it! Why waste money on developing??
Yes, the ideal would be a basic Android launcher that is E-Ink friendly and maybe one reader app that is also E-Ink friendly - basically, an E-Ink version of the Nexus 7. No frills. Let us take it from there.

It's possible to get one of these present Android E-Ink devices close to that point, but it takes some effort.

What I have done is taken the firmware from the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta and installed it on my Boyue T62+. I've rooted the firmware and installed full!screen (to eliminate the top bar and allow any apps to use the full screen (what a concept!). I have Button Savior installed to help me navigate. The Onyx launcher is simple and the NeoReader app is actually pretty good for ePubs and pdfs. The Boyue hardware has a larger battery, so I get very good battery life. The Boyue is also formatted to give you about one gig of user app space, as well as over five gigs for your data. This is the closest to the ideal that I can get as of now. I'm pleased with it. Of course, it helps that my device came with no hardware or software issues.

If the Boyue Shine is ever released, if it seems to be fairly reliable, and if it runs a fairly recent version of Android (KitKat or Lollipop, anyone?), I'd consider upgrading. A lot of ifs, I grant you. If I just wanted to read eBooks, I'd go with a Kobo or Kindle. But there are a couple of Android apps that use text that I also use a lot, and that I want on an E-Ink device. That's why I'm even bothering with all this! If there was a way to get Android apps to run on the Linux-based software of the Kobo or even the Kindle (unlikely), I'd consider just going with one of those. Till then, I'll keep playing with these devices. So far, so good.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #23
pepeday

To be honest, it just sounds too much of a trouble for a device which >should< work out of the box...if my screen was not crooked and the device had root, I wouldn't return it. In any case, I'm leaning towards Kindle PW3 or Kobo Aura H20...
Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #24
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
To be honest, it just sounds too much of a trouble for a device which >should< work out of the box...if my screen was not crooked and the device had root, I wouldn't return it. In any case, I'm leaning towards Kindle PW3 or Kobo Aura H20...
True, it is a lot of trouble. I think that the problem here is that companies like Onyx and Boyue haven't quite made up their minds if they want their devices to be primarily e-readers or Android E-Ink tablets. And so, we have a mishmash of both that isn't as satisfying as it could be on either end. The default launchers are designed with the assumption that people want an e-reader that just happens to run some Android apps.

In my case, the trouble was worth it, but only because of the apps I wanted to use on an E-Ink device that would be easier on my eyes. My device runs those apps very well, and with the Carta screen and a decent frontlight, the reading experience is good.

If you are only looking to read eBooks, then you will be better off with either device you're looking into. None of this trouble would be worth it in your case. If that were the case with me, I'd be looking at the PW3 or maybe the Kobo Glo HD. These are designed to be e-readers and really nothing else, and so they do the job very well. I had hopes a while back that maybe Barnes and Noble would bring out a new E-Ink Nook reader with a newer version of Android, but I don't see that ever happening now.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #25
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Hello everyone!

I'd be glad to answer all your questions about inkBOOK Onyx with E Ink Carta display.
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:15 AM   #26
pepeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtaTechPoland View Post
Hello everyone!

I'd be glad to answer all your questions about inkBOOK Onyx with E Ink Carta display.
I have some questions.

1. Do you plan any update to make the status bar autohide with all apps (not just stock apps)?

2. Will you release root for this device? Or at least make accessibility options available to enable on screen buttons?

3. Do you have quality control issues? I have received a device with a crooked screen and Onyx does not recognise this?

4. Do you plan to fix the screen full refresh issue which does not work with 3rd party apps?
Old 07-31-2015, 05:31 AM   #27
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I have some questions.

1. Do you plan any update to make the status bar autohide with all apps (not just stock apps)?
For now you can set an option to hide the status bar in the Settings > User defined > Statusbar > Show/Hide.

Quote:
2. Will you release root for this device? Or at least make accessibility options available to enable on screen buttons?
Please explain. On screen buttons in the Status bar are available.

Quote:
3. Do you have quality control issues? I have received a device with a crooked screen and Onyx does not recognise this?
No, we do not any quality control issues.

If you received an invalid product from onyx-boox.com you have the right to return it under warranty.

I did read your recent post and sent you a Direct Message. Please reply.

Onyx International is not the manufacturer of the inkBOOK Onyx.

Quote:
4. Do you plan to fix the screen full refresh issue which does not work with 3rd party apps?
You are referring to third party apps that are developed by third parties. We cannot control their development process. It is up to them to adjust their apps to e-paper displays. E.g Legimi, a polish ebook subscription service developed an app optimized for E Ink displays.

Last edited by ArtaTechPoland; 07-31-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:21 AM   #28
pepeday

I did not explain sufficiently.

In Q1 you mentioned that I can hide the status bar. If the status bar is hidden, you lose access to all buttons and need to go to settings each time to access them. So for me, this is not a solution at all.

In Q2, I am referring to hover buttons. If you release a tool for root access or fix the accessibility settings, users can run apps that provide hover buttons that could bring back the functionality while keeping the status bar hidden.

It is not the most optimal solution but one that works quite well.

In Q4, I was under the impression that the device recognises on its own when the display is being updated and proceeds to a full refresh automatically after 4 screen changed (or more when this is set up). In some 3rd party apps, this does not happen which is very strange.

I'm pretty sure that the full refresh is not triggered by the app but by the system.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #29
ArtaTechPoland
Banned

Quote:
PLEASE CHECK FOR UPDATES AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

UPDATE3:

I've sent Onyx the photos I've taken of my device screen and they seem to think that nothing is wrong with it. I beg to differ.

Have a look for yourselves:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/evxoh6210...nqJVy26Na?dl=0
Quote:
I did not explain sufficiently.

In Q1 you mentioned that I can hide the status bar. If the status bar is hidden, you lose access to all buttons and need to go to settings each time to access them. So for me, this is not a solution at all.

In Q2, I am referring to hover buttons. If you release a tool for root access or fix the accessibility settings, users can run apps that provide hover buttons that could bring back the functionality while keeping the status bar hidden.

It is not the most optimal solution but one that works quite well.

In Q4, I was under the impression that the device recognises on its own when the display is being updated and proceeds to a full refresh automatically after 4 screen changed (or more when this is set up). In some 3rd party apps, this does not happen which is very strange.

I'm pretty sure that the full refresh is not triggered by the app but by the system.

Hello pepeday,

Thank you for contacting Arta Tech Customer Service @ onyx-boox.com. My name is Adam, and I am going to monitor your case.

I understand how concerning it can be to see that the device you received does not meet your requirements.

We are going to reply to your e-mails you sent via https://onyx-boox.com with all the information.

Your screen seems to be tilted a bit and we are going to replace your device with a new one.

I hope this information is helpful, but please let me know if you have further questions and concerns. I would be happy to help you further!

Last edited by ArtaTechPoland; 08-04-2015 at 10:58 AM. Reason: a typo.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 AM   #30
helen19770707
Connoisseur
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67 kindle Onyx Note
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAlq2CVmS6o
oh, InkBook Light Problem....
the guy said :"I received a reply that all InkBooki Onyx have "such a feature."
The problem seems serious.

Last edited by helen19770707; 08-06-2015 at 03:44 AM.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote