Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
caeg
caeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Cannot SSH into my Kindle 4NT, "Connection Refused". Desperate, any help appreciated

Hello everyone,

I'm desperately trying to SSH into my Kindle 4 NT 4.1.1 to no avail. Following the tutotial to the letter, whenever I try to use PuTTY I get an error message "connection refused", and then nothing happens.

I've scoured the internet and these forums specificlaly for a solution but I couldn't find a single one, and I'm going desperate...

(Using Win7. I'd already jailbroken my Kindle following the tutorial in the wiki.

I installed the USBNetwork hack, then went back into diagnostics mode and turned USBnet on.

I set the IP address for the connection as 192.168.15.201, subnet 255.255.255.0 as per the tutorial.

Going into diagnostics I turned Tried using PuTTY to connect to 192.168.15.244.... and that's where I get the error message.)

I can ping, but I can't connect.

ANY help at all would be much appreciated! Thanks
caeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check the wiki again. SSH in Diagnostic and SSH via the USBNetwork Hack in main are two completely different beasts .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeg View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm desperately trying to SSH into my Kindle 4 NT 4.1.1 to no avail. Following the tutotial to the letter, whenever I try to use PuTTY I get an error message "connection refused", and then nothing happens.

I've scoured the internet and these forums specificlaly for a solution but I couldn't find a single one, and I'm going desperate...

(Using Win7. I'd already jailbroken my Kindle following the tutorial in the wiki.

I installed the USBNetwork hack, then went back into diagnostics mode and turned USBnet on.

I set the IP address for the connection as 192.168.15.201, subnet 255.255.255.0 as per the tutorial.

Going into diagnostics I turned Tried using PuTTY to connect to 192.168.15.244.... and that's where I get the error message.)

I can ping, but I can't connect.

ANY help at all would be much appreciated! Thanks
The address pair used in the Diagnostics Mode ssh is not the same as the address pair used in the Main Mode over USBnetwork cable.
Neither of which is the same address pair as that used over Wifi (if you have ssh over Wifi enabled).

If totally lost -
1) I answered some recent posts on just this subject last week - try page 2, page 3, ... of the thread indexes here.

and/or

Install the Windows nmap binary,
http://nmap.org/download.html
Start (your choice) of ssh on the Kindle, tell nmap to look for it: (for the k4, a good pair of places to look: nmap 192.168.15.0/24 192.168.2.0/24)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote