Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Memory size

I was considering to get an ipad. First I wanted the cheapest possible ipad. Then I thought that maybe memory size would be a problem so I thought about the 32gb model. Coming to that I thought that upgrading to the 64gb version would only be 100 $/Euro more. But still, it's a lot of money.

I don't think I'll keep my music on an ipad. I have a dedicated mp3 player for that. As I own a TV, home cinema setup, I assume I also wouldn't load movies and such. There are some "silly" games I could be interested in (the ones where the tilt sensor is involved), but I don't know how much memory those require. Well, I'm not a gamer, but new toys bring me to the point where I just have to try out stuff. In the end, main usage (I thought so) would be reading layouted pdfs with text, graphics, charts and such. But it seems this thing can do so much more that I'm totally unsure about which memory size to choose.
Ok, I think I know I don't want 3G. But that's all I really know.

So, could any one be so kind to post some self-experience which can point me to the proper memory size?

thanks
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you don't want music or video, 32GB should be absolutely fine - it's certainly more than enough for reading. I'd suggest reconsidering the 3G. Personally I find the ability to go online anywhere with the iPad to be one of its most useful features.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I have a 16GB WIFI Ipad. I use it primarily to read along with a few other apps. I am very happy with my choice. 16GB allows me to load enough content on the IPad that I don't need 3g access. I have over a hundred books and at least 20 apps and memory to spare.

If you want to read pdf files on the Ipad I highly recommend Goodreader. It is the best pdf reader I have found and is only 99 cents.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I have a 32G/3G, and it works great for me. I actually rip/watch a fair amount of TV shows/movies, and haven't had any space issues (I never did on my 32G iPhone 3GS either).

Apps and books really don't take up a lot of space-16G/32G should be perfect for you!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
my opinion, if you can afford it, get the 64g. you'll never be able to increase it and one day you'll wish you had more. it will also help in resale value if you chose to sell it some day.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Thank you so far for all of your input.
I can afford the 64gb, so this wouldn't be the problem. It was just that it's 200 more than the 16gb. As for the 3G, it sounds intriguing, but I need some kind of mobile plan for that again. So far I have my cell with which I can check e-mail on the go. At home I've got wireless and if this one isn't working, I have a prepaid webstick (or if I would have to use my laptop on the go). But actually, surfing via the webstick is kinda slow so I don't enjoy browsing the web with it. Cellular internet seems somewhat behind other countries here, so I think the 3G (for what I have to pay for a monthly plan and what I would get out of it) just doesn't make sense here yet. And once it will, the ipad I buy "today" (ok, stores are allready closed) will probably be outdated. I'm a gadget freak, too, so I think the ipad will be replaced at some time (and I bet 3G won't be much farther than today).

Ok, thanks again for the input. It surely helps making up my mind.
My wife just confirmed that it would be ok for her that I get any of the ipads. Not that I would "really" ask (ok, I somewhat do), but it's better to have some legitimation to spend money just like that, even if it's available (I guess y'all know what I mean )
Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
My 16 is all I need, but I am not you. Get what you want.... be happy..
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Mike_73
Guru

Yeah, I think that's just what I should do. I called the one and only store in my area that had some ipads left over and the 64gb is the only one available right now. There are 3 more stores which have the ipad on display, but none of them could tell me when they will get the next delivery. So I either wait until there's something other than the 64gb available or...
Well, decisions, decisions.
Considering that people either jump for the most or least expensive here, the 64gb without 3G seems clearly the one that would be left over
Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I usually max out storage on all devices, but I went with the 16 GB wifi only, and I have zero regrets. It rarely leaves the house, and we're almost always someplace with a hotspot anyway, so I didn't see the need for 3G. With almost 70 apps installed, I've used about 2.2 GB total. No music, that's what the iPhone is for--it docks with my speakers. No video, that's what the bigass TV my husband had to have is for (and baseball looks better on a 50" widescreen plasma, right? LOL). Very few books, because I have over 300 stored in Amazon's Kindle cloud. That leaves pictures, and those will either only be on the iPad long enough for fast processing, or because they're part of my wallpaper collection. Just a handful of personal pics will be on there long term--the rest are on hard drives at home. If I want regular access to certain ones, Photobucket has a fine app for accessing my account. Why clutter up my iPad for that?

Besides, buying the smallest iPad means I can justify upgrading when version 2.0 arrives next year.

My husband went with the 32 GB 3G--he likes movies, loaded his up with music, and filled it with games. He also wanted 3G so he could use it outside the house more easily. Different people, different needs. Think about what you want to do with yours, and that should tell you what model makes the most sense for you.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
VictoriaP said "Besides, buying the smallest iPad means I can justify upgrading when version 2.0 arrives next year. "

Beginning to think that way myself
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
A 16gb iPad can hold a lot of stuff. I have installed 90 apps, 5 CDs, 24 books, 45 pictures and I am using 5.5gb. Some games do reach 200-300mb in size. However if you start trying to hold whole libraries of PDFs and comics and several movies space will get taken up pretty fast. iTunes is your repository and not everything has to sync over to the idevice all time time.

Still, 32gb is a sweet spot for this kind of device.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #12
Mike_73
Guru

Ok. Thanks y'all for the input. I was tempted for the 64gb because it was available, but it seems that 16gb should be more than sufficient for my purpose. So I guess I hold on for a couple of days and see if they get the 16gb in store again. Like stated before, I'll have to be quick when they get those.

I also thought about putting pictures on it, but actually, this will and can only be a selection of all my pictures as the native raw format probably isn't supported and the files are about 12mb each.
As for pdfs, I mostly read something and when I'm done I delete the stuff from my mobile devices. A habit I started with my Sony readers due to memory restriction of the device. The Sony have the SD-Card slot, but this was rather slow. So I just went with the internal memory.

But again, thanks for all the input. Despite being able to spend the money for the 64gb, I think the 16gb model is the one for me. You guys are awesome
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Ok. Thanks y'all for the input. I was tempted for the 64gb because it was available, but it seems that 16gb should be more than sufficient for my purpose. So I guess I hold on for a couple of days and see if they get the 16gb in store again. Like stated before, I'll have to be quick when they get those.

I also thought about putting pictures on it, but actually, this will and can only be a selection of all my pictures as the native raw format probably isn't supported and the files are about 12mb each.
As for pdfs, I mostly read something and when I'm done I delete the stuff from my mobile devices. A habit I started with my Sony readers due to memory restriction of the device. The Sony have the SD-Card slot, but this was rather slow. So I just went with the internal memory.

But again, thanks for all the input. Despite being able to spend the money for the 64gb, I think the 16gb model is the one for me. You guys are awesome
Great! Now, put that extra $200 away for iPad 2.0 next year
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #14
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Now you can spend the extra money on a good case and accessories.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #15
Mike_73
Guru

Exactly. I thought about purchasing apps first. I made a nice case for my little mp3 player 2 years ago. I think I'll make a case myself. I allready have plans on how to do it.