Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Cory Doctorow?

Does anyone know where I can find good clean copies of Doctorow's books?

I tried his site, but the copies there look absolutely horrible. Most are missing covers, have incorrect metatdata, and the formatting made me want to claw my eyes out.

help?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check the library here at MR.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did.

It has a couple titles, but they're all old.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which books are you looking for?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Does anyone know where I can find good clean copies of Doctorow's books?

I tried his site, but the copies there look absolutely horrible. Most are missing covers, have incorrect metatdata, and the formatting made me want to claw my eyes out.

help?
Doctorow has 15 of his books free on his website now. I think that the selection keeps changing, so you may want to keep checking back.

I can't vouch, really, for the quality. I have seen part of the inside of a couple of the ebooks, and they looked fine. An author's probably going to make sure of that on his/her own website.

http://craphound.com/.

And, if anyone breathes a word about me posting fiction, I will vehemently deny it.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Doctorow has 15 of his books free on his website now. I think that the selection keeps changing, so you may want to keep checking back.

I can't vouch, really, for the quality. I have seen part of the inside of a couple of the ebooks, and they looked fine. An author's probably going to make sure of that on his/her own website.

http://craphound.com/.

And, if anyone breathes a word about me posting fiction, I will vehemently deny it.
/\ did not read original post /\
Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
/\ did not read original post /\
Mea culpa.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
From what I recall of Cory's website, the deal is that he puts up a single format of each book he releases to creative commons (I don't remember which format, but it's not ePub), and then encourages people to convert them to other formats and he puts up the first contribution for each format on his website. Furthermore, these versions are missing the covers because his publisher paid for the cover art, and these are not the publisher editions, so unless the artist has also contributed their cover to creative commons, Cory doesn't have the rights to include the cover.

Unfortunately, this means that some of the editions on his website are actually poorly formatted, and won't ever get replaced by better versions. So, if you don't like the version you downloaded, feel free to grab the original format and convert it and clean it up for yourself, buy the publisher edition, or suffer the poor formatting.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
From what I recall of Cory's website, the deal is that he puts up a single format of each book he releases to creative commons (I don't remember which format, but it's not ePub), and then encourages people to convert them to other formats and he puts up the first contribution for each format on his website. Furthermore, these versions are missing the covers because his publisher paid for the cover art, and these are not the publisher editions, so unless the artist has also contributed their cover to creative commons, Cory doesn't have the rights to include the cover.

Unfortunately, this means that some of the editions on his website are actually poorly formatted, and won't ever get replaced by better versions. So, if you don't like the version you downloaded, feel free to grab the original format and convert it and clean it up for yourself, buy the publisher edition, or suffer the poor formatting.
I hadn't considered the point about the cover licensing, thanks.

But I am not sure it is relevant here; I have seen CC versions of Cory's books
with the right covers before.

And why didn't he think to secure permission for the covers as well? That's an odd oversight.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hadn't considered the point about the cover licensing, thanks.

But I am not sure it is relevant here; I have seen CC versions of Cory's books
with the right covers before.

And why didn't he think to secure permission for the covers as well? That's an odd oversight.
If you read his download pages for his ebooks, he talks about how he negotiated with his publisher(s) to be able to release his books under a creative commons license, which is pretty unusual for books in print. However, the publisher has bought his book, and also the cover art from the artist, it's up to the publisher and artist to decide whether to put in under a creative commons license, and they didn't choose to.

Quote:
No cover art. The text of this book is freely copyable, the cover, not so much. The rights to it are controlled by my publisher, so don’t include it with your file.
It's possible people creating the CC edition didn't pay attention, or didn't care.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think some of his books are up over at Feedbooks
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:50 AM   #12
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think some of his books are up over at Feedbooks
It looks like the the editions over at Feedbooks are the Tor editions, not the free Creative Common editions Nate was looking for.