Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #31
M_koboH20
M_koboH20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Edit: From the discussion below I guess the following values should fit:
Code:
ksmGeometryValuesN=1080x1429+0+11
ksmGeometryValuesS=1080x1429+0+0
ksmGeometryValuesE=1429x1080+11+0
ksmGeometryValuesW=1429x1080+0+0

For H2O users: Please add to the file .adds\usersettings.txt the above 4 lines. Attention: You have to use a unix-style editor.
Thank you @Markismus & tshering for your advices.
I just bought the new H20 3.12... and I managed to install koreader on and to have a great experience reading PDF.

But, I am a real noob and I fight for 1hours to install everything.
First adding the lines was not easy, I'm on windows. I could do so with jEdit (which I download for the occasion).

Then it is usefull to notice that the Koreader file is NOT included in the package that Markismus offer on the post19.

Following the indications of @ken on the thread ' Adding alternative readers using Kobo Start Menu' I could understand with the first package I download did not included koreader.
I think including it could be usefull.

Also, I first tried to copy the koreader file in adds/kbmenu which was obvouisly the wrong path.
koreader finally worked with the adds, just under kbmenu but not IN kbmenu.
(maybe it sounds obvouis but it's not for a noobish like me )

I tried most of tools, it seems fine, except for the "front light on" button in the main menu which doesn't do anything.
But if I set up light though tools/frontlight, the main menu button "front light off" does react.
M_koboH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #32
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post
Ah I'm reassured, thanks!

Also, is the method described here outdated or still the way to go in order to make an alternative setting for koreader?
Some locations have changed in koreader, I think it should now go like this:

Spoiler:
Step 1
copy readerpaging.lua to readerpaging2.lua; make the appropriate changes in readerpaging2.lua

Step 2
copy koreader\frontend\apps\reader\readerui.lua to koreader\frontend\apps\reader\readerui2.lua

Replace in readerui2.lua
Code:
local ReaderPaging = require("apps/reader/modules/readerpaging")
with
Code:
local ReaderPaging = require("apps/reader/modules/readerpaging2")
Step 3
copy koreader\reader.lua to koreader\reader2.lua
Replace in reader2.lua
Code:
local ReaderUI = require("apps/reader/readerui")
with
Code:
local ReaderUI = require("apps/reader/readerui2")
This line occurs twice in the file, replace both occurrences.

Step 4
copy koreader\koreader.sh to kbmenu\scripts\koreader2.sh
replace in koreader2.sh
Code:
./reader.lua $args 2> crash.log
with
Code:
./reader2.lua $args 2> crash.log
If your koreader folder is in .kobo, then you are finished here. If however you moved the folder to .adds (cf. this post), then you have to replace the line
Code:
KOREADER_DIR=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader
with
Code:
KOREADER_DIR=/mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader

By the way, there would be an easier method, but it needs more space on the disk. You can duplicate your koreader folder and name it (for instance) koreader-2. Then and make your changes to readerpaging.lua of koreader-2. You can call tkoreader-2 via "koreader additions" > "select koreader versions" > koreader-2". Be aware that the settings and the history lists of these two koreaders are separate. Whether this is useful depends on your needs.

Quote:
And where do one set the opening path for koreader?
Maybe replace in koreader.sh of koreader and koreader-2
Code:
by
Code:
./reader.lua /mnt/onboard/.mybooks 2> crash.log
or similar.

Last edited by tshering; 02-16-2015 at 06:00 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #33
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

M_koboH20,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience with koreader and KSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_koboH20 View Post
I tried most of tools, it seems fine, except for the "front light on" button in the main menu which doesn't do anything.
But if I set up light though tools/frontlight, the main menu button "front light off" does react.
In usersettings.txt, you can find
Code:
frontlightOnLevel=4
This works fine on my Glo. Maybe you try a higher value than 4 (maximum is 100). Do not forget using the unix style editor.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #34
gong
Enthusiast
gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini (f/w 3.4.1) + Aura (f/w 3.12.1)
Quote:
By the way, there would be an easier method, but it needs more space on the disk. You can duplicate your koreader folder...
Fantastic answer as always, thanks a lot!

EDIT: I tried duplicating the folder but it doesn't appear under "select koreader versions". I guess I need to declare it somewhere?

Last edited by gong; 02-16-2015 at 07:24 PM.
gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:37 AM   #35
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
EDIT: I tried duplicating the folder but it doesn't appear under "select koreader versions". I guess I need to declare it somewhere?
This option is enabled by default. However there are two points. 1) The duplicated folder must be in the same folder (.kobo or .adds) as the original. 2) The name of the folder has to start with "koreader" (eg. koreaderXXX) and must not contain spaces. (And maybe it must not contain full stops. I cannot remember from the top of my head.)

Last edited by tshering; 02-17-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Advert
Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 AM   #36
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:

Edit: From the discussion below I guess the following values should fit:
Code:
ksmGeometryValuesN=1080x1429+0+11
ksmGeometryValuesS=1080x1429+0+0
ksmGeometryValuesE=1429x1080+11+0
ksmGeometryValuesW=1429x1080+0+0

For H2O users: Please add to the file .adds\usersettings.txt the above 4 lines. Attention: You have to use a unix-style editor.
There is a mistake in the above, it should read:
Please add to the file .adds\kbmenu\usersettings.txt ...
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #37
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
There is a mistake in the above, it should read:
Please add to the file .adds\kbmenu\usersettings.txt ...
Thank you!
Old 02-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #38
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo clara hd, kobo glo hd, kobo aura h2o, kobo touch, kindle dx
Quote:
Some locations have changed in koreader, I think it should now go like this:

Spoiler:
Step 1
copy readerpaging.lua to readerpaging2.lua; make the appropriate changes in readerpaging2.lua

Step 2
copy koreader\frontend\apps\reader\readerui.lua to koreader\frontend\apps\reader\readerui2.lua

Replace in readerui2.lua
Code:
local ReaderPaging = require("apps/reader/modules/readerpaging")
with
Code:
local ReaderPaging = require("apps/reader/modules/readerpaging2")
Step 3
copy koreader\reader.lua to koreader\reader2.lua
Replace in reader2.lua
Code:
local ReaderUI = require("apps/reader/readerui")
with
Code:
local ReaderUI = require("apps/reader/readerui2")
This line occurs twice in the file, replace both occurrences.

Step 4
copy koreader\koreader.sh to kbmenu\scripts\koreader2.sh
replace in koreader2.sh
Code:
with
Code:
./reader2.lua $args 2> crash.log
If your koreader folder is in .kobo, then you are finished here. If however you moved the folder to .adds (cf. this post), then you have to replace the line
Code:
KOREADER_DIR=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader
with
Code:
KOREADER_DIR=/mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader

By the way, there would be an easier method, but it needs more space on the disk. You can duplicate your koreader folder and name it (for instance) koreader-2. Then and make your changes to readerpaging.lua of koreader-2. You can call tkoreader-2 via "koreader additions" > "select koreader versions" > koreader-2". Be aware that the settings and the history lists of these two koreaders are separate. Whether this is useful depends on your needs.

Maybe replace in koreader.sh of koreader and koreader-2
Code:
by
Code:
./reader.lua /mnt/onboard/.mybooks 2> crash.log
or similar.
Do I understand well that these changes are mandatory to use Koreader? This could make me wait for a new version of Koreader to be available before installing KSM 07.
libertango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #39
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertango View Post
Do I understand well that these changes are mandatory to use Koreader? This could make me wait for a new version of Koreader to be available before installing KSM 07.
None of these changes are mandatory, not even recommended. They serve the special purpose of Gong.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #40
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo clara hd, kobo glo hd, kobo aura h2o, kobo touch, kindle dx
Quote:
None of these changes are mandatory, not even recommended. They serve the special purpose of Gong.
Good to know. Thanks tshering for your work and your attentive support.
libertango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #41
gong
Enthusiast
gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini (f/w 3.4.1) + Aura (f/w 3.12.1)
Quote:
This option is enabled by default. However there are two points. 1) The duplicated folder must be in the same folder (.kobo or .adds) as the original. 2) The name of the folder has to start with "koreader" (eg. koreaderXXX) and must not contain spaces. (And maybe it must not contain full stops. I cannot remember from the top of my head.)
Thanks again!
(had a space, working fine now)

Last edited by gong; 02-17-2015 at 06:56 PM.
gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 AM   #42
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks again!
(had a space, working fine now)
I am glad it works for you.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #43
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Double boot?

@tshering
I think somehow my setup is doing a double (no dual) boot every time it starts KSM.
The color succession of the led with the 06 version was Blue - White - Blue - Green (flashing) - Off -> KSM screen.
With the 07 version I get a Blue - White - Blue - Green (flashing) - Off - Blue - White - Blue - Green (flashing) - Off -> KSM screen.
Is it only me?
Did I left something somewhere from the old installation?
I did erase the previous folders in .kobo.
Everything is in the .adds now (kbmenu, koreader, vlasovsoft).
I have the 3.8.0 firmware since I'm not using Nickel that much.
Any thoughts?
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #44
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
@tshering
I think somehow my setup is doing a double (no dual) boot every time it starts KSM.
The color succession of the led with the 06 version was Blue - White - Blue - Green (flashing) - Off -> KSM screen.
With the 07 version I get a Blue - White - Blue - Green (flashing) - Off - Blue - White - Blue - Green (flashing) - Off -> KSM screen.
Is it only me?
Did I left something somewhere from the old installation?
I did erase the previous folders in .kobo.
Everything is in the .adds now (kbmenu, koreader, vlasovsoft).
I have the 3.8.0 firmware since I'm not using Nickel that much.
Any thoughts?
Thank you for reporting. I will correct this with the first update package (I guess this night.)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #45
tshering
Wizard

Since I am preparing the first update to KSM 07, could somebody please check whether these geometry values have a better result than the current ones on Aura?
Code:
ksmGeometryValuesN=758x1012+0+0
ksmGeometryValuesS=758x1012+12+0
ksmGeometryValuesE=1012x758+0+0
ksmGeometryValuesW=1012x758+0+12
Please add the above 4 lines to the file .adds\kbmenu\usersettings.txt; and remove the # from
Code:
# enablerotation=true
in order to be able to check all four orientations.
Attention: You have to use a unix-style editor.

Tags
koreader/nickel, ksm 07