Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
[Conversion Input] KePub Input

THIS PLUGIN IS BEING INTERMITTENTLY DEVELOPED! FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS MAY TAKE A FEW DAYS TO BE REPLIED TO.

This plugin allows converting KePub files to ePub by removing the special KePub markup. All the credit for actually creating this goes to davidfor, he wrote the code, I'm just including it in the codebase for the other KePub plugins.

Please see the README file for the most current details. I will try to keep this post up to date, but the README is always up to date.

You are encouraged to install this plugin as well, to ensure KePub metadata is correctly processed:
Usage
To use this plugin after installing:
  • Select the book(s) you want to convert.
  • Select the EPUB output format
  • Choose your settings
  • Convert the books

Special Notes
  • This plugin requires calibre 0.1.0 or later.
  • Conversion defaults can be set in Preferences -> Output

Installation Directions
Open Preferences -> Plugins -> Get new plugins and install the 'KePub Input' plugin. You may also download the attached zip file and install the plugin manually, then restart calibre as described in the Introduction to Plugins thread.

Contributing

Decided you want to contribute to the development of this plugin? Awesome! If you want to contribute to the development of this plugin, you have many options:
  • Contribute code, whether for existing bug reports, for new bugs that you found, or for new features that you really want to see implemented. To contribute code, you may fork the repository and send a pull request, or you may send me a PM here with a Git patch file.
  • Submit bug reports on GitHub. Although I'm happy to discuss the plugin here, I may still ask you to create a bug report; this is so I actually remember to investigate your request!
  • Test pre-released code from GitHub. Between releases, new code is committed and may be installed using directions provided in the README file. Based on your testing, you may submit bug reports, provide feedback, think of new feature requests, or just generally enjoy early access (and not necessarily stable code!) to upcoming versions of the plugin.
  • Translate the plugin on the plugin's Transifex page.

Although I'm generally perfectly happy to discuss possible issues here, any issues sent to me through any means other than the Github bug tracker (including email, PM, etc.) may be silently ignored. This is not because I don't care! It's because I have a terrible memory, the Github issue tracker is my "to-do list" for this plugin, and there's been instances where I've seen a post or PM here and promptly forgotten all about it until I happened to stumble across the post again later. If you aren't sure if you have an issue, feel free to post here and we can work together to decide if you need to make a new Github issue or not. If you are sure you have an issue, or if you have an error or exception from calibre, post a new issue. It isn't necessary to post here when you make a new issue, I get notified of all new bugs and I check the list regularly. The worst that could possibly happen on Github is the same that could happen here: I'll tell you that it's not a bug and you'll have the opportunity to convince me otherwise!

Version History
Spoiler:

Version 3.6.6 - 2023-09-20
Update translations for Spanish (es_ES)
Version 3.6.5 - 2023-08-15
Update translations for Portuguese (Brazil) and Italian
Version 3.6.3 - 2022-07-31
Fix issues with threading and with calibre 6/QT6 (thanks davidfor!)
Version 3.4.3 - 2021-01-05
Fix for non-English locales on Windows failing to load or install the plugin
Version 3.2.10 - 2020-06-17
Fix from NiLuJe for more Unicode processing and some misplaced KEPubContainer references.
Version 3.2.9 - 2020-06-17
Fix issue with the logger object not being callable and the conversion adding stray <br> tags
Version 3.2.7 - 2020-05-16
Fix Windows issues with Unicode strings.
Version 3.2.3 - 2020-05-11
Fix logging issue with non-ASCII characters on Windows
Version 3.2.2 - 2020-05-10
Python 3 compatibility - Plugin loads in both calibre and Python 3 calibre beta
Version 3.0.0 - 2017-10-30
Imported to BitBucket, made small bugfix and formatting changes, new translations
Version 2.7.3 - 2016-07-08
Support calibre changes for ePub 3
Version 2.7.1 - 2016-06-26
Spanish (es_ES) translation update
Version 2.7.0 - 2016-06-25
Code cleanup from new driver code, no-op functionally
Version 2.5.3 - 2015-09-30
Fix problem preventing the cover image from being set properly with unusually-set OPF IDs
Version 2.5.1 - 2015-08-05
Fix problems with file names not being converted properly
Version 2.5.0 - 2015-08-03
Initial release. Thanks davidfor!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KePub Input.zip (40.9 KB, 10655 views)

Last edited by jgoguen; 09-20-2023 at 10:25 AM.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Nice!

Does this mean that it's now safe to use kePub as a base storage format?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I personally won't use KePub as the base storage format unless it's a KePub straight from Kobo. The conversion plugin is still not producing KePub files the same as Kobo's. I'm still trying to get a couple of recent releases from Kobo to address that, but I'm not interested in paying more money for a book than I think it's worth and I'm not buying a book I don't want to read anyway, so it's taking a while. Kobo is pretty consistently more expensive for any book I actually want than Amazon, and not a single book I want has ever been valid for coupons, and Kobo has been pretty rude to me in the past.

If you happen to have some KePubs purchased recently from Kobo and you want to send them my way, I'm looking for books new to Kobo since June 2015, English language only (so I can read and know what I'm looking at and what I'm expecting). I need the books to be purchased directly from Kobo's site, downloaded by the Kobo reader directly to the reader (that seems to be the only way to get the actual KePub files) and copied from there. I'm also trying to sort out some things around the rights.xml file, so I need both the encrypted KePub file directly from the reader and the decrypted KePub file. I can't tell you how to decrypt the file, but I've heard rumour that an Apprintice named Alf knows everything you need to know about that

Last edited by jgoguen; 08-03-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
The most recent kobo book (Download options:EPUB2 (Adobe DRM)) I have has a publication date of 2013
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Like I said, you can't download KePubs from the Kobo site. You've got to buy the book then let the reader download it.
Advert
Old 08-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

New version uploaded, fixes issues with file names not being handled correctly. Calibre should offer it soon.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #7
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

New version posted, affecting the detection of cover images in some cases. Look for an update notice from calibre in the next hour or so.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:12 AM   #8
Aanti
Aanti began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura H2O
Error message kepub-epub

Error message when convert a kepub into epub, only in this version of calibre (2.62).

Code:
calibre, version 2.62.0 (win32, embedded-python: True)
Errore di conversione: Non riuscita: Converti libro 1 di 1 (Un nero nei tribunali dei bianchi)

Converti libro 1 di 1 (Un nero nei tribunali dei bianchi)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 2.62.0
{'asciiize': False,
 'author_sort': None,
 'authors': None,
 'base_font_size': 0.0,
 'book_producer': None,
 'change_justification': u'original',
 'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|prologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
 'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
 'comments': None,
 'cover': u'D:\\TEMPORANEI\\TEMP\\calibre_fjikkn\\ntsblc.jpeg',
 'debug_pipeline': None,
 'dehyphenate': True,
 'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
 'disable_font_rescaling': False,
 'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
 'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
 'embed_all_fonts': False,
 'embed_font_family': None,
 'enable_heuristics': False,
 'epub_flatten': False,
 'epub_inline_toc': False,
 'epub_toc_at_end': False,
 'expand_css': False,
 'extra_css': None,
 'extract_to': None,
 'filter_css': u'',
 'fix_indents': True,
 'flow_size': 260,
 'font_size_mapping': None,
 'format_scene_breaks': True,
 'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
 'input_encoding': None,
 'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x06430E10>,
 'insert_blank_line': False,
 'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
 'insert_metadata': False,
 'isbn': None,
 'italicize_common_cases': True,
 'keep_ligatures': False,
 'language': None,
 'level1_toc': None,
 'level2_toc': None,
 'level3_toc': None,
 'line_height': 0.0,
 'linearize_tables': False,
 'margin_bottom': 5.0,
 'margin_left': 5.0,
 'margin_right': 5.0,
 'margin_top': 5.0,
 'markup_chapter_headings': True,
 'max_toc_links': 50,
 'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
 'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
 'no_default_epub_cover': False,
 'no_inline_navbars': False,
 'no_svg_cover': False,
 'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.OutputProfile object at 0x06430FF0>,
 'page_breaks_before': u'/',
 'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
 'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': True,
 'pretty_print': True,
 'pubdate': None,
 'publisher': None,
 'rating': None,
 'read_metadata_from_opf': u'D:\\TEMPORANEI\\TEMP\\calibre_fjikkn\\_thnj8.opf',
 'remove_fake_margins': False,
 'remove_first_image': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
 'renumber_headings': True,
 'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
 'search_replace': '[]',
 'series': None,
 'series_index': None,
 'smarten_punctuation': False,
 'sr1_replace': None,
 'sr1_search': None,
 'sr2_replace': None,
 'sr2_search': None,
 'sr3_replace': None,
 'sr3_search': None,
 'start_reading_at': None,
 'strip_kobo_spans': False,
 'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
 'tags': None,
 'timestamp': None,
 'title': None,
 'title_sort': None,
 'toc_filter': None,
 'toc_threshold': 6,
 'toc_title': None,
 'transform_css_rules': '[]',
 'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
 'unwrap_lines': True,
 'use_auto_toc': False,
 'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: KePub Input running
on D:\TEMPORANEI\TEMP\calibre_fjikkn\frdqj6.kepub
KEPUBInput::convert - start
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  'KEPUBInput' object has no attribute 'rationalize_cover' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 132, in main
  File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 190, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1060, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
  File "calibre_plugins.kepubin.conversion.kepub_input", line 95, in convert
AttributeError: 'KEPUBInput' object has no attribute 'rationalize_cover'
Aanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a problem in the kepub input plugin, you should post in that plugin's thread, the plugin author just has to make a couple of changes to adapt to the new epub 3 code in 2.62
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The error reported in this thread is due to to changes: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...12dbc0d7d37f45 and https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...912468e0494a0a. And they are to add epub3 metadata support. As kepubs can be either epub2 or epub3, my first thought is to fix this with:

Code:
f = self.rationalize_cover3 if opf.package_version >= 3.0 else self.rationalize_cover2
self.removed_cover = f(opf, log)
I have done some quick tests, and is seems to work. And, https://store.kobobooks.com/ebook/girl-from-above-1 is a free DRM epub3 and works with the above code.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

New version uploaded, look for the upgrade in the next hour or so.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Thanks for the report, I've just uploaded a new version that accounts for the new ePub 3 code. calibre should offer the upgrade within the next couple hours.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #14
Aanti
Aanti began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura H2O
Thanks!
Aanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Aanti's thread merged into here
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote