Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Looking for a fraktur font

I'm looking for a fraktur font for embedding in an ePUB. I like FetteFraD, and would like something as similar as possible, but It does not have the "long s" in the right Unicode spot.

The requirements are: It must have "s" and "ſ" (long s) usable through Unicode, as well as ß and ä, ö, ü. It also need the German quote marks („“) and apostrophe. Having ch and ck ligatures would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for your help
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you seen Alte Schwabacher? (I don't know whether or not the characters are in the right unicode spots or not...) I'll look for some more when I get a chance.

Last edited by frabjous; 12-22-2009 at 11:32 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Have you seen Alte Schwabacher? (I don't know whether or not the characters are in the right unicode spots or not...)
Yes, I have that one too, and I think it has all the characters all right, but it's not exactly the shape I was looking for, it's too "round" (actually, it seems Schwabacker and Fraktur are two different kinds of blackletter typefaces). For the moment I've edited the FetteFraD file with fontforge to place the two S's in the right spots.

Kleist-Fraktur is also fine, but a bit too thin. Plakat-Fraktur, on the other hand is too thick... and I guess I'm too picky

Last edited by Jellby; 12-22-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

There are 17 free Blackletter fonts listed at fontsquirrel---though none of them look quite right to me.

(Oh, look at that, LaTeX has warped me to the point of using three dashes for emdashes everywhere.)

Is nothing available from GUST?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard

You can get .ttf versions of the AMS Fraktur fonts (e.g., eufm10.ttf) (e.g., the \mathfrak fonts for AMS-LaTeX) from either here:
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsma...s/welcome.html
or here:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/font...e1/bakoma/ttf/
I highly doubt they're set up properly for Unicode, but as long as you're playing around with fontforge...
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
romit
romit began at the beginning.

Device: none
There are 17 free Blackletter fonts listed at fontsquirrel---though none of them look quite right to me.......
romit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Aviation Museum
Gerald Yagen
Aviation Museum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Scan Fraktur and convert to English

Greetings,

My first posting with an important question. We are an Aviation Museum located in Virginia (USA). Our museum has recently restored a German Luftwaffe Fieseler Fi 156 Storch airplane and is trying to certify it for flight with the American Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). They require that we provide them with a maintenance manual of the airplane written in English. We have been able to find a German Luftwaffe maintenance manual, but it is written in original German Fraktur type style. Is there any company in Germany that we could pay to convert the Fraktur print (scanned on paper) into digital modern print that we could then run through a translation program? We would then print this out and supply to the FAA with our application.

Can someone recommend such a company in Germany or America that could provide such a service for us?

Gerald Yagen
Military Aviation Museum
4455 South Boulevard
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23452 - USA

Phone: (757) 490-3157
Fax : (757) 497-8083
www.AviationMaintenance.edu
www.CenturaCollege.edu
www.MilitaryAviationMuseum.org
www.FighterFactory.com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MaintManualFiesler.pdf (218.0 KB, 245 views)
Aviation Museum is offline   Reply With Quote