Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
Mattee
Mattee began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A
Wrong initial File Structure - Need to Backtrack!

Hi All, I am really new to Calibre, I made a major set up mistake. I made folders in folders to organize ALL my PDF books. I know know they should all be in one folder and let Calibre organize them. If I just cut and past each sub folder up the chain into the main folder, all the JPG folder titles will over right each other, maybe the meta data too!. So would it be best that I just coppied the main PDF, erase everything else, and just reset up in Calibre one by one? I know its a lot of work but if thats what I must do, so be it.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Mattee
Mattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattee View Post
Hi All, I am really new to Calibre, I made a major set up mistake. I made folders in folders to organize ALL my PDF books. I know know they should all be in one folder and let Calibre organize them. If I just cut and past each sub folder up the chain into the main folder, all the JPG folder titles will over right each other, maybe the meta data too!. So would it be best that I just coppied the main PDF, erase everything else, and just reset up in Calibre one by one? I know its a lot of work but if thats what I must do, so be it.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Mattee
If that is your source files, calibre shouldn't care about the folder structure. Just add the books from the root of your directory structure using the appropriate option under the Add Books icon when you select add books from directories (either a single book per directory in multiple formats or multiple books in a directory (assume each file is a different ebook)).

If you re-organized the calibre library folder, starting over is going to be needed. It might be easiest to copy your calibre library folder to a different location, delete all the books in the library using the calibre GUI and then re-import from the copy using the import from subdirectories.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Mattee

So I guess it's OK? But I can see it will be a lot of work to keep everything organized as the volume of books greatly increases with a folder in a folder in a folder (IE <Penguins Book> in <Antarctica Folder > in <History Folder> in <Main CALIBRE Folder>). I still haven't fully wrapped my head around what is the best in the long run (The most important). Would there be any value to just cut and past each book folder <Penguines Book>, that had the PDF, cover.jpg and metatdate to the main folder called CALIBRE. Or is this still to "complex" to keep things running smoothly in the long run? I only have about 120 books so far, so it would be best to set things up "RIGHT" before the amount of books get very very large?
Thanks for the advice.
Mattee
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You don't (can't) control the structure of a Calibre Library.
If that is a 'must', then Calibre is NOT for you.

You don't get to tell your public library, how to file books. Well Calibre is the Library.

Calibre files books:
Author
Title (ID)
Formats
Cover
(backup metadata) OPF
You can use the Tag browser (Think of that as the 'Card Catalog' from days of olde ) to search and select, The Send to device, save to disk or Save to folder; to get the to your EXTERNAL reading device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
So I guess it's OK? But I can see it will be a lot of work to keep everything organized as the volume of books greatly increases with a folder in a folder in a folder (IE <Penguins Book> in <Antarctica Folder > in <History Folder> in <Main CALIBRE Folder>). I still haven't fully wrapped my head around what is the best in the long run (The most important). Would there be any value to just cut and past each book folder <Penguines Book>, that had the PDF, cover.jpg and metatdate to the main folder called CALIBRE. Or is this still to "complex" to keep things running smoothly in the long run? I only have about 120 books so far, so it would be best to set things up "RIGHT" before the amount of books get very very large?
Thanks for the advice.
Mattee
You don't organize your Calibre library via the file explorer. You organize it via the Calibre interface. That means you add and delete books in the Calibre program, using the "Add Books" and "Remove Books" buttons, respectively. NOTHING must be done with the files and folders directly, otherwise you will have a seriously messed up library.

From your description it seems your only option is to start over. Don't put your books in the Calibre folder manually this time, use the "Add Books" command in the Calibre GUI.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
Mattee

No nothing is a must, I want to do it as it is suppose to be done. So as I understand it so far?... All PDF's get copied into a (NEW) main "Calibre" folder side be side. (Erase all the old folders). Re-insert all PDFs and title images into Calibre one at a time from scratch, set up the tags as the "filters". I'll keep searching for more info on "the right way to do it?" I was previously looking on the calibre website for clear understanding about this, but clarity has eluded me so far, in the mean time I will keep trying to learn the "Right" way to restart the setup.
Thanks, Mattee
PS the Calibre folder I was mentioning above is just where I save my PDFs, so I can find them in one place for import into Calibre, if this is acceptable?
Thanks again !

Last edited by Mattee; 01-12-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
PS the Calibre folder I was mentioning above is just where I save my PDFs, so I can find them in one place for import into Calibre, if this is acceptable?
Thanks again !
It doesn't matter where and in what order the files are BEFORE importing them to Calibre. What matters is that once they are in Calibre, all operations must be done in the Calibre interface, not directly with the files themselves. That's all there is to it.

Calibre makes its own copies of your files for its library and leaves the original files where they are. You are free to do anything you want with the originals. Delete them if you don't want duplicates littering your hard drive. Or store them somewhere, just in case. The important thing is not to touch the files in the Calibre library.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
Mattee

I think I "Got IT" Maybe?
As soon as I import my books into Calibre.... I'll choose <D:Caliber> for where Calibre saves them, set up all the Tags, images, metadata and save it. That's my new Calibre Library. I can now go to where ever on the hard drive I saved all my e-books and erase them one by one as soon as they are imported into Caliber. (No need to have two copies). Then that one folder is the one that can be "copied"/exported to other devices by Calibre? Is this even remotely Correct?
Thanks !
Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #9
Mattee

Thanks Sirtel, It looks like I was thinking parallel to what you just wrote!!! Thanks for the clarity, that will definitely clean things up as soon as I set up each book into Calibre and erase it from my present storage method pre- calibre. Just one place, organized by Calibre! I can't wait to redo everything!!! Correctly,
Thanks Again Your Awesome !!!
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

<snip>

Is this even remotely Correct?
@Mattee - More or less

See the following sticky thread at the top of this forum ==>> Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?

And watch the Demo video that's on the calibre home page

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-12-2019 at 11:15 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
As soon as I import my books into Calibre.... I'll choose <D:Caliber> for where Calibre saves them, set up all the Tags, images, metadata and save it. That's my new Calibre Library. I can now go to where ever on the hard drive I saved all my e-books and erase them one by one as soon as they are imported into Caliber. (No need to have two copies). Then that one folder is the one that can be "copied"/exported to other devices by Calibre? Is this even remotely Correct?
Thanks !
NO!
You do NOTHING with the Library folder.
(almost) Never.
Every operation MUST be done with the GUI of the CLI (command line Interface. Calibre learns what makes up the book record that way.

You can Drag and drop additional formats , drop covers into the Cover in Details for the book
OR
If the books Metadato is open (MDE), drop formats int the formats box, drop a cover Onto the Cover section

Or use the CLI tools (mostly for very experienced users)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote