Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Mear
Mear began at the beginning.

Device: looking for the perfect one
Reader software features

I have to replace my Sony Reader T1 which was recently stolen, and honestly I'm not too depressed about it as I've been secretly longing for a Paperwhite since they came out. Only thing stopping me really is that I'm a fiddler - as in I'll root anything that can be rooted and if the settings aren't just so I'll happily risk bricking my device in an attempt to make it just so. I had the Amazon app installed on my Reader and was thrilled that I could actually have it both ways.

I'm considering the Kobo Aura, and the only reason I'm starting a new thread about this is that honestly I think most reviews focus too much on the specs and not enough on the software features, especially since it seems I can't tweak either of them as much as I normally would. So I'd like to hear what you guys think are good features of these readers.

I very much like the sound of the Kobos Beyond the book feature, but is it much different to the Kindles Xray? I seem to recall reading that the Kindle Xray only works on books you've bought from Amazon - is that true? If anyone's tried both, which do you think is best? Any other limitations on the Kindle as to what works on non-Amazon books...?

Last edited by Mear; 01-17-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Mear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mear View Post
I'm considering the Kobo Aura, and the only reason I'm starting a new thread about this is that honestly I think most reviews focus too much on the specs and not enough on the software features, especially since it seems I can't tweak either of them as much as I normally would. So I'd like to hear what you guys think are good features of these readers.
For me the reader with the best software features and configurability is PocketBook Touch Lux 623.
You can even install Coolreader on it, or Linux terminal emulator or ftp server. Plus lots of other stuff. No hacking, cracking, jailbreaknig required - all this is supported by manufacturer out-of-box.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Non-Amazon books cannot utilize the X-Ray feature, but only because the X-Ray comes from a file on the device called {book-filename}.sdr/XRAY.entities.{ASIN}.asc (and must be formatted to reference the correct locations within the book). Only Amazon officially knows how to generate them.

BUT unofficially you can duplicate much of the functionality of it using the online X-ray generator here: http://www.xunwang.me/xray/

You will need to break open the book with mobi2mobi or Java Mobi Metadata Editor to get access to some Exth fields that must be filled out, and it can't link to the locations within the books, though it will list the Characters/themes/etc. and a Wikipedia summary, they just all link to the front of the book.

Detailed instructions are on the site.

Likewise, page numbers are at {book-filename}.sdr/{book-filename}.apnx and can be unofficially generated by calibre, but the actual page numbers are calculated via guesswork, because calibre doesn't actually know where the real page numbers go.

Other than that, the Kindle supports anything for sideloaded books as Amazon purchases. It's just difficult to duplicate these undocumented addons to the book.

I get the impression about Kobo's Beyond the Book that it works natively for sideloaded books too, by analyzing the book text for keywords.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I get the impression about Kobo's Beyond the Book that it works natively for sideloaded books too, by analyzing the book text for keywords.
Now I'm not so sure, but this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231332 talks about that feature.

The Kobo Touch Extended Driver may one day have the ability to tell the book to index certain words for BTB.

In the meantime, it seems as though it only works for what Kobo tells it to do, which does make sense. Kindle wins at this since you can generate your own xray files.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Mear
Mear began at the beginning.

Device: looking for the perfect one
Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the Pocketbook, but I'll definitely look into it. Other than that it looks like the Kindle and Kobo are more or less just as good. Suppose I can't go wrong, but you can bet I'm gonna wish i'd taken the other one either way.
Mear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mear View Post
Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the Pocketbook, but I'll definitely look into it. Other than that it looks like the Kindle and Kobo are more or less just as good. Suppose I can't go wrong, but you can bet I'm gonna wish i'd taken the other one either way.
Experience at Mobileread would suggest that overall, most people are very happy with the ereader they choose. But if you can get a hands-on demo first, that could be really helpful for you. Sometimes one just "feels" right or wrong for you. For example, I thought I'd like the Aura HD, but playing with it in the shop showed me that I think it's just too big/heavy for me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote