Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Kindles and ... food!

I love to read while eating my meals. If I have a paper book, I don't care so much if a blob of spaghetti sauce lands on the page, although it is pretty
traumatic if the same lands on my kindle!

The other day, I was having some brunch, and a blob of runny egg yolk landed
right on the opening (crack?) of one of the page-turning buttons. I was so afraid that it would seep down into the guts of my kindle and fry my purchase.

Fortunately, that didn't happen, but I'm wondering if you guys do anything to
prevent this kind of thing. I could see a button permanently stuck down (or just not responsive) after an ice cream spill, or the like.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
You could put the Kindle in a baggie while you eat, it would be protective, waterproof and yet allow you to turn pages.

Another alternative is to get a stand style cover.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
A couple of things........you could prop the k up against something to keep it out of your way and then just hit the 'next page' button as needed......

or

When eating messy foods you could slide it into a one gallon baggie. Seriously.....buttons can still be pushed, visibility is good.

Then just wipe off the baggie.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I love to eat and read - must be an expert on that particular subject!

If I'm cooking and using the Kindle (either to listen to an audiobook or viewing my personal recipe document) then I place it in a clear plastic bag so when I inevitably touch it with sticky fingers, only the bag gets messed up - not my Kindle!

Eating in the bath (a luxury which doesn't happen enough with having a hyper 3 year old!) then I use a waterproof bag because I have been known to drop paper books in the bath - at least they still "work" afterwards however crinkled!

For full-on eating while reading, I use the Kindle in "hands-free" mode on a book stand so I don't need to press anything:
http://www.kinworm.com/2010/09/hands...e-reading.html

With the odd dry snack such as a chocolate bar, I just hold the Kindle in my right hand so I can operate it fully and eat with the other hand. Crumbs can be wiped away with a very soft brush.

No reason why you can't indulge in your favourite things whilst Kindling

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 01-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
When I read while eating I use the Book Gem Book Holder. It worked a little better with the K2 because the K2 was a little wider and had more space on the bezel, but still works fine with the K3, with or without the Amazon leather cover. It also worked with the K2 and the M-Edge Latitude Jacket. You can use it on the bottom and it will stand up at about a 70 degree elevation or use it on the top for about a 45 degree elevation. You can also charge it while on the stand.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Kindleworm:

New to the K3 and was wondering - does the K3 have an "auto-page-turn" mode or is the "silent text-to-speech" mode the way to accomplish this. I thought I has read somewhere that these devices could automatically turn the pages? Maybe it was one of the kindle-phone apps that did it?

Enjoying it so far (will not get into ebook pricing in this thread but ....)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I'm finding that When I'm eating, I can keep the kindle further away than with a paperbook, so it's easier to keep it away from splashing food. Also, even if I'm eating finger food, a tap of my pinky (which stays clean even when my other fingers are covered in sauce) can turn the page.
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Kindleworm:

New to the K3 and was wondering - does the K3 have an "auto-page-turn" mode or is the "silent text-to-speech" mode the way to accomplish this. I thought I has read somewhere that these devices could automatically turn the pages? Maybe it was one of the kindle-phone apps that did it?

Enjoying it so far (will not get into ebook pricing in this thread but ....)
You do need to put text-to-speech on silent and that's the only way you can achieve hands-free page turning on the K3 as far as I'm aware unless anyone has a hack. Would be nice if Amazon could expand this "feature" or provide a remote control so you can access all the Kindle features from a distance!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Never. I'm way too OCD about my Kindle, nook and now especially my Oberon staying spotless. I wash my hands before I touch my devices every time . I could never eat while reading.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I bought the following stand for my kindle. I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Would be nice if Amazon could expand this "feature" or provide a remote control so you can access all the Kindle features from a distance!
Maybe when Amazon enables the microphone, you can say a key word to turn pages. Just don't make me clap or whistle.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Maybe when Amazon enables the microphone, you can say a key word to turn pages. Just don't make me clap or whistle.
Great idea
Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Time to admit it: You sucked the egg out of it with your mouth, didn't you? I know I would have, hehehe
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

The plastic baggie idea sounds intriguing. I eat enough finger food, that it might be worth it. I'll try that out.

Maybe they should make a kindle bluetooth footpedal for page turns, haha..
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Yeah, there was a guy in another thread who put recipes on his kindle and read them through a plastic bag while he cooked. It should definitely help you.

That's curious though that you read while you eat. That seems to be the one combination I can't deal with. If I'm reading, I like to stick to it, and so it would take a bit too much attention to make sure the food actually made it to my mouth.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote