Notices

Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
PDF viewing (Sony<->Illiad)

hi guys,

what about the pdf files on the ebook device ?

how is the feeling of pdf on illiad or sony ? it is possible to zoom in pdf files ?

i want a ebook (only) for reading pdf files eg: ebooks for programming or newspapers.

is the sony the better device for pdf files ? i don´t need wlan and writing notes on it ...

thx for information.

haasiesoft :-)
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sony Reader:
The concensus so far seems to be that the Sony screen is too small to handle most full page pdf files very well in their original formatting -- even with the 2 screens/page landscape mode, the document comes out too small to read comfortably. However, if you have the ability to reformat the document yourself, it could look very nice.

iRex iLiad:
Seems to be much better due to the bigger screen size, but I don't think it has that landscape mode that lets you look at top/bottom halves of the document sideways, so it might be a bit small on the iLiad also. I'll let iLiad owners speak to this, though, because I haven't had the pleasure of playing with one yet myself.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by haasiesoft
what about the pdf files on the ebook device ?
Forget it.

Or rather, be happy if it works. PDF files are designed to a page size, and that page size is too rarely suitable for the screen of either device.

The Sony can do half-page landscape mode, and uses an Adobe implementation for PDF reader, so I'd rate it slightly higher that the iLiad. (Adobe implementation means, I'm willing to bet, that type hinting works better than with the iLiad -- some samples have been posted in other threads that to my mind suggest that hinting either was missing in the fonts used, or not correctly interpreted by the iLiad xpdf implementation.)

Quote:
i want a ebook (only) for reading pdf files eg: ebooks for programming or newspapers.
Are those specially formatted for these devices? If not, assume it won't work well. And ask for a demonstration before you buy.

Last edited by ath; 10-05-2006 at 02:27 PM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
bingle had some luck with something called "ScanSoft PDF Converter." His comments are over here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
thx,

for these information - think i will wait for the "next-gen" eBook -

haasiesoft
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
With adobe implement, Sony Reader provides 'fit width' and 'fit visual', but no freely zoom in/out function recently.
iLiad which using the 'Xpdf' for linus OS has the 'potential' to zoom in/out and rotate in the ver. 2.7 upgrade release which is delayed.

According to "https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7758"
Sony Reader treats the small text 'lighter', reducing the small one's readability, but iLiad doesn't.

I recommand the A4 PDF should be cropped first by a free PDFill tools before be transfered into those devices.

BTW, Do Sony or iLiad consider bulid the 'Foxit Reader' in their device?

Last edited by segatang; 10-04-2006 at 07:52 PM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote