Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Connect Software - Is there a better way?

So I'm happily playing around with my new Reader! It's great. The screen is amazing.

I'm currently trying to decide which books to put on the device. I have quite a few. I decided it would be easier to import them all into the Connect library, and then browse through a nice database.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work like that :-(

Most PDFs show up in the DB with the correct title and author. But the Reader seemingly doesn't make any attempt to deal with untagged files - TXT and RTF, as well as untagged PDFs. I can understand that, although some parsing of regularly-named files would be nice. But worse, I seemingly can't edit the library database, which means I don't even have the option of manually correcting it :-(

Is there better library management software out there? I will probably want to import things into the Connect software just to create the cache.xml, but it would be nice to have some organization to my files first...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Connect Software takes the source file's properties. You'll have to make your changes to things like title and author in the source application.

You can use folders/collections on the Connect Software (make them by clicking the + button at the lower left). The collections will let you sort files in the order you want, rather than alphabetical, and you can drop the whole collection onto the Reader directly. I figure the Collections feature is going to get more use than the generic "Books" section of the Reader OS, simply because they're all in alphabetical in the latter, and it's all of them, so it'll get to be a lot to wade through really quickly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert