Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple's iPad: A hit with business users?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=30310

Quote:
What’s the business use here? In a word: Dashboards. Salesforce.com, Oracle and others all have iPhone apps showing sales, dashboards and corporate data. However, the screen is kind of small. With the iPad, you can check out a full dashboard of data, track sales and get your corporate health check on the go. Simply put, screen size matters for corporate dashboards. You can envision multiple business intelligence applications on deck.
One thing I'm curious about is the proprietary apps that corporations are writing/using in-house for the iPhone, and possibly for the iPad in the future.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Think it needs built in and optimized handwriting and multi-tasking to be a hit as a business (or academic tablet).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Multitasking, yes. Handwriting... maybe not. After all, it has a functionable on-screen keyboard. (I've always thought we should be spending more time typing than writing script that may or may not be readable by others... but that's me.) A signature capture would be useful, as well as a voice-reco engine (to speak your notes).

Otherwise, I see this as a workable electronic clipboard for all kinds of in-the-field uses that are currently given over to laptops, but which can run on more limited systems and preprogrammed tasks. I'm sure we'll see some related apps appearing for delivery people, home servicing industries and other out-of-office uses.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I'm sure we'll see some related apps appearing for delivery people, home servicing industries and other out-of-office uses.
Steve, I'm wondering how many of those apps we won't see!..well, personally I mean

Apple's Enterprise Developer program allows corporations to write and deploy proprietary apps in-house, bypassing the App Store...would love to see what they come up with, just from curiosity sake. If a delivery guy comes to my office with an iPad, I'm definitely going to ask.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I need handwriting for myself not others. I'm an academic and spend a lot of time reading and highlighting and jotting notes in the margins of printed out PDFs of research articles.

So that's my main interest in a tablet. Be able to read those electronically and mark them up with a stylus like I do with pen on printouts currently. And on screen keyboard is too clunky. Even a real keyboard and mouse is too slow and clunky for marking up PDFs (on top of reading them on a laptop or PC sucking).

So that's the type of stuff I was referring to needing handwriting for. But also with a clipboard purpose, people don't type on clipboard, they handwrite.
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Steve, I'm wondering how many of those apps we won't see!..well, personally I mean

Apple's Enterprise Developer program allows corporations to write and deploy proprietary apps in-house, bypassing the App Store...would love to see what they come up with, just from curiosity sake. If a delivery guy comes to my office with an iPad, I'm definitely going to ask.
I'm sure there will be plenty of those, and I'd bet on the best features of them creeping into non-commercial apps later, which will be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
So that's the type of stuff I was referring to needing handwriting for. But also with a clipboard purpose, people don't type on clipboard, they handwrite.
I don't challenge the beginning of your comment... it's clearly a preference thing, and in most cases, hopefully you'd have the choice of keyboard, handwriting, handwriting with text-reco, etc.

I will say that clipboard-type uses (work orders, checklists, etc) can easily be made to work with an on-screen keyboard and basic finger or stylus gestures, including typing. They have been writing-based in the past, but they don't need to remain that way with the new technology.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
.....hopefully you'd have the choice of keyboard, handwriting, handwriting with text-reco, etc.
Agreed. Any good tablet should have all those options so everyone's needs are covered.