Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
jt421
jt421 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Intermittent Database Exception

First, let me thank you for an outstanding program. Calibre has made the task of maintaining and organizing my e-book library a pleasure.

Recently, I upgraded my computer from Vista to Windows 7 and brought my library with me. Since then, I have been having intermittent, but frequent issues trying to make metadata changes and add books.

Specifically, when making a change ~50% of the time I get an Unhandled exception and the change fails. If I am editing a book individually, Calibre stays on the edit screen and I can try again. This usually works after trying 2-3 times. If I am doing a bulk change, or importing multiple books, the change/import fails and only some portion of the books gets the change. (See below for an example of the error message)

I have looked through the forum and bug tracker, and I have eliminated some of the easy answers (spaces in path, clean reinstall, Advanced->Check database integrity, anti-virus/backup software, etc.).

Since the problem occurs most frequently when I am doing multiple changes quickly, either via bulk change or typing fast, it looks like a database access problem.

Even with the database integrity check could it be a corrupted database? Can I rebuild the database without loosing all of my information?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

------------
The error:

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 142, in run
OperationalError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\metadata_bulk.py", line 106, in sync
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1216, in set_publisher
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 171, in run
DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 142, in run
OperationalError: unable to open database file
jt421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No it's not a corrupted database. That error indicates a failure to even opena database file and is typically caused by an antivirus program interfering or something slowing down your system so much that the open times out.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
jt421

Good to know that my database is probably okay.

For what it is worth, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials for AV, and Carbonite for online backup. As I said, I have tried disabling them, but I can try again...
Old 12-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you open a ticket for this, I'll see if I can add a retry loop for this error. That should mitigate the problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
jt421

Sure, I have created a ticked to track the issue.

On a related note... I have added metadata.db to the anti-virus exception list, are there other files that I should exclude as well?
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt421 View Post
Good to know that my database is probably okay.

For what it is worth, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials for AV, and Carbonite for online backup. As I said, I have tried disabling them, but I can try again...
I am running WinXP and on occasion I used to get an error during metadata saving. I didn't save the error, but believe it is the same. Trying again always seemed to work. I assumed it was because of using dropbox (online backup). When I update Calibre, to ensure a clean install, I exit Dropbox. Update Calibre, then restart Dropbox. I do this because occasionally it interferes with the update process.

I figure it is the price I pay for another program fussing in the middle of everything. I think Dropbox corrected the problem, it realizes there is a conflict and now gives me feedback saying it can't backup metadata.db. Then when I quit Calibre it backs that file up to the online space.

A retry loop might help this issue. Thanks Kovid
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt421 View Post
Sure, I have created a ticked to track the issue.

On a related note... I have added metadata.db to the anti-virus exception list, are there other files that I should exclude as well?
There will also be corresponding lock and perhaps journal files name

something like metadata.db-lock or -journal or something like that (the names are platform dependent and the files could be hidden)
Old 12-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
I have this problem as well both on XP and Vista. A re-try (or two) always works for me though so no harm done.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote