Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Abbyy has improved a bit ...

As mentioned here I would use it to create HTML then do the afterwork to clean it up. Then use sigil to make an ePub.

Another way is to use Abby to make an RTF, then use Toxaris' word cleanup macro to make a clean HTML. Then sigil to make ePub.

Thanks! I contacted ABBY about the difference between the Abby Finereader Professional and Abby PDF Transformer (both export to HTML but with a big price difference) asking if there is a difference in the quality of OCR or only a difference in the options. No reply. Are you using the Finereader or the PDF Transformer? I am testing the trail version of PDF Transformer and the HTML is much cleaner than with Acrobat X1.

S
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #32
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I use the fine reader pro. For me it was worth the money...but I have lots of things to scan/convert.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #33
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Thanks, Turtle.

As I mentioned, I emailed the company a few weeks ago and asked about the difference in the apps, but have not received a response. User experience reports are always much more reliable anyway .
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #34
mandavkarswap
mandavkarswap began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia X2-00 with albite reader
Talking Best PDF to epub converter

Try I'mTOO PDF to Epub converter....best I've ever know...you don't need to adjust anything...just drag and drop file and convert..enjoy...however this one does not convert images...so you will have cross mark(x) at the location of the image..how ever if you can adjust without images you can use this..
I'm still trying to find proper pdf images to epub images converter...I'll let you know as soon as i get one..
NOTE : I'm using Albite Reader for reading E-books on my Nokia X2-00.
It is FREEWARE..!!
you can get it here--->
www.albite.org/reader
and google for I'mTOO..I downloded it from torrent around 1.5 year ago...
HF.. xD
mandavkarswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
ImToo free demo available here: http://www.imtoo.com/pdf-to-epub-converter.html
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #36
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ImToo free demo available here: http://www.imtoo.com/pdf-to-epub-converter.html
This is a timely topic for me because I have volunteered to help one of my favorite authors convert some of his back list to ePub (and MOBI). He had a company scan the books and has given me the resulting PDF and Word files. It's my job to figure out how to get ePub files from them.

My question is--has anyone actually used this imtoo gizmo? And if so, does it do a good job?

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #37
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
This is a timely topic for me because I have volunteered to help one of my favorite authors convert some of his back list to ePub (and MOBI). He had a company scan the books and has given me the resulting PDF and Word files. It's my job to figure out how to get ePub files from them.

My question is--has anyone actually used this imtoo gizmo? And if so, does it do a good job?

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions.
Do not use the PDF if you have a Word file. The word file will produce better results and faster. If you are a beginner I would suggest downloading Atlantis Word Processor. They have a free trial and you can have an ePub within 5 minutes and a Mobi also using your word file as a source.

If you are HTML savy you can turn the word file into an html and then use Sigil to convert it to ePub. You are talking hours of effort. But if Atlantis, for some reason, doesn't produce exactly the epub you want you can edit the ePub using a Sigil download. (Sigil has its own forum here on Mobile Read) Atlantis has it own thread here.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #38
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If the source of the Word document is the PDF, then be prepared to face many issues with the Word document. This is independent of the method used to convert the PDF to Word (I prefer OCR, but that is me).
These errors should be corrected and that can be a lot of work. My Word add-in can help in that, although it will not catch 100% of the errors.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #39
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Do not use the PDF if you have a Word file. ...Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
...My Word add-in can help in that, although it will not catch 100% of the errors.
Thank you for your suggestions! I'll try the Atlantis route first. As a bonus, I see that they have a tutorial on their website.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One solution is to run the word document through Book Designer. That seems to clean up a lot of the mess. Then you save to HTML and run that through Sigil.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #41
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Thank you for your suggestions! I'll try the Atlantis route first. As a bonus, I see that they have a tutorial on their website.
You're welcome. Be aware that Atlantis will not find and correct OCR errors for you.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
orange!
Born to be wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One solution is to run the word document through Book Designer. That seems to clean up a lot of the mess. Then you save to HTML and run that through Sigil.
Thanks for the suggestion. May try this route if other suggestions don't work out. I'm familiar with HTML in general, but not in terms of specifically what works for ePUB. I'm not familiar with Book Designer or Sigil (yet).
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #43
orange!
Born to be wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You're welcome. Be aware that Atlantis will not find and correct OCR errors for you.
Toxaris,

I installed your Word macro and used it as the 1st step in my workflow. It seemed to do a great job!

I hand-corrected additional errors, most of which were paragraph errors--usually there wasn't a paragraph where there should have been one and occasionally it was the other way around. Paragraphs that end with a quoted sentence seemed to be especially problematic.

Now I'm not quite clear what to do next. I see that your Macro can generate HTML and/or generate ePUB.

I need to eventually get both ePUB and MOBI files. That was why I was considering Atlantis.

Any thoughts you have about what I should next would be welcome.

Thanks for making your awesome Word tools!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #44
Toxaris
Wizard

If you generate the ePUB, you can make the final touch up in Sigil. After all, the ePUB is not ready for publication (as stated in the manual). You can then finalize it. The ePUB can be used for generating the mobi file.

Also, don't forget you can add S&R rules to the corresponding document. If you do, the next time the S&R action will be done and you don't have to do it manually anymore.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #45
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Hi!
Just joining the conversation on this subject, with a problem.
After converting a seemingly PDF Scanned document through k2PDF OPt ( which works very well on my tablet with EZPdf Reader) I have tried to convert it to Epub with Wondershare PDF Editor using the OCR feature, but when I open it in Calibre the document is almost unlegible because the text background is a kind of spotty gray/black background. Also some of the diagrams in the original text are distorted into meaningless symbols. Unlike the native EPUB format, this EPUB conversion does not allow any modification of the font or other. It is a fixed page which looks pretty much like an image.
Can anybody tell me what is wrong and how to achieve full setting control?

Thanks

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote