Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Question Stock and Pricing

I am about to replace my PRS-600 with two PRS-650's (so my wife stops stealing mine. I was looking at Amazon.com and there seems to be almost NO stock. I find that unbelievable. Also, I just realized that I would have overpaid BIG time if I bought them now. Sony's site says they retail for $229, not +$310 like I have seen the last couple of days on Amazon.

I gathered from this thread that the reader is just out of stock rather than discontinued (which was my fear). Does anyone know when the next batch will start shipping to retailers? Are there any retailers who have them in stock right now and aren't trying to mark them up? Are there any retailers you all recommend that are selling them for less than the manufacture's retail price? I looked at a few places online, but I am not even convinced that they have them in stock...

Thanks folks.

P.S. Are you all SURE they are not discontinuing? lol I would much rather wait a couple of months for the wifi variant (if it even exists).
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I don't think they are discontinuing, but the supply has been spotty. They were sold out everywhere just before Christmas, then they became available briefly a week or two ago, and now it sounds like the supply has dried up again. But they release the new ones in the fall, so I suspect we'll see some more eventually.

In the meantime there seems to be no problem getting the 350 or 950. The 350 is getting discounted and the 950 has wifi. Perhaps you'd like one of those?
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
...then they became available briefly a week or two ago, and now it sounds like the supply has dried up again...
Where do you get news of new supply? I'd love to be on that list.

Quote:
In the meantime there seems to be no problem getting the 350 or 950.
350 is too small. And best buy seems to have it in stock. Hmm..

Quote:
The 350 is getting discounted and the 950 has wifi. Perhaps you'd like one of those?
Gah. Why'd you do this to me? lol. Now I am looking at the 950 wondering, "why not?" I guess i just thought 650 since I own a 600 as it is. I plan to ultimately get two devices, so the 950 would really be pushing the limit on price. I will have to think about it.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
SonyStyle.com has both the red and black PRS-650 in stock.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
You could get one 950 (or 350) from a place like Best Buy with a decent return policy and see how you both like it for a couple of weeks. There might be more 650s in stock by then, or you might have decided you like the other size. And there's nothing saying you each have to have the same kind. (Except jealousy, maybe. )
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakura82 View Post
Where do you get news of new supply? I'd love to be on that list.
I follow the news here, and then confirm it by checking out the various online stores. I already own a 650 but I'm watching for good sales on the other models, because I am already feeling the urge to own more of these darn things.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
I ordered a 950 from adorama when they were last on sale before christmas and have yet to receive it as they're still out of stock. B&H have also been out of stock of 950s since the same time.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
I ordered a 950 from adorama when they were last on sale before christmas and have yet to receive it as they're still out of stock. B&H have also been out of stock of 950s since the same time.
Huh. SonyStyle shows them in stock, and my local Best Buy has a couple, and the BB website shows them in stock for ordering. I didn't realize there were supply issues with these too. But I guess it doesn't matter if Bakura doesn't mind ordering straight from Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snassek View Post
SonyStyle.com has both the red and black PRS-650 in stock.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
But I guess it doesn't matter if Bakura doesn't mind ordering straight from Sony.
Well, I normally wouldn't actually. I tend to buy a LOT from Amazon or Newegg when it comes to electronics. What are the 650 retail prices at (when they are selling)? I assume they are selling for less than $229. If not, then you are right, why not buy from Sony?

I probably won't try to get it until my iPad sells though. The money for that guy will get me two of these devices. And yes... two of the same is meant to remove the jealousy aspect.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:54 AM   #10
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
Huh. SonyStyle shows them in stock, and my local Best Buy has a couple, and the BB website shows them in stock for ordering. I didn't realize there were supply issues with these too. But I guess it doesn't matter if Bakura doesn't mind ordering straight from Sony.
Yeah it's weird. Last I heard they told me it was backordered with Sony and they had no estimated date. The other thing I'd recommend is wait a bit there might be another sale soon.. maybe for Valentines day.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I follow the news here, and then confirm it by checking out the various online stores. I already own a 650 but I'm watching for good sales on the other models, because I am already feeling the urge to own more of these darn things.
Same here, same here, same here. Am keen to own a 950 but am kind of broke ...
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Puddleglum
Puddleglum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakura82 View Post
Well, I normally wouldn't actually. I tend to buy a LOT from Amazon or Newegg when it comes to electronics. What are the 650 retail prices at (when they are selling)? I assume they are selling for less than $229. If not, then you are right, why not buy from Sony?
I haven't seen them cheaper than MSRP. Which is why when I couldn't find it local or on Amazon I bought mine from Sony a couple of weeks ago.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
bakura82
Zealot

Hmm... maybe I can try a PRS-950 today. I don't care for the wireless, but that extra inch may be nice.

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Sony did have them on sale around Thanksgiving time. I ordered mine then, at $199.

But unlikely now, when htey are selling as fast as they can make them.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #15
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sonystyle is showing both 650s in stock. $229.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote