Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!
DrScotter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

Note: If you don't see the box "Adobe DRM EPUB" on the Library page of the Kobo website, and instead you see a blank area, then it is possible that you may have purchased a book that doesn't come in EPUB format. It is rare but does happen. Before you purchase a book, you should check its info page to make sure it says "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB". I learned this tip the hard way!
Interesting. This may help to clarify things further. If you type "the idiot" into the Kobo search function you'll find multiple listings for The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. If you click onto the 2nd listing you will find the following listed: "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB" but this is conspicuously absent after clicking onto the first listing which is described as a "Free eBook." So, it looks like all of the free offerings on Kobo are not downloadable to the Sony Reader. Is this correct?
DrScotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, now we are getting somwhere! I think that you picked a book that is not downloadable to EPUB format for the Sony ereader. I looked up Don Quixote in free ebooks, and it is missing the Adobe DRM EPUB button. Go to this link here. Notice how # 4, A Man of Few Words, looks different than the other books with a Download Option description and an Adobe DRM EPUB button.
http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/freee...OhDofOQ-1.html

No worries. If Don Quixote is the book that you really want to read, then you have many options for free public domain classics. First many public domain books are available here on MobileRead. Also you can try a website like feedbooks.com, manybooks.net or gutenberg.org.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, it looks like most public domain classics on Kobo are not downloadable for Sony. Some free ebooks will be publisher promos, and those are available for EPUB download.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #18
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, now we are getting somwhere! I think that you picked a book that is not downloadable to EPUB format for the Sony ereader. I looked up Don Quixote in free ebooks, and it is missing the Adobe DRM EPUB button. Go to this link here. Notice how # 4, A Man of Few Words, looks different than the other books with a Download Option description and an Adobe DRM EPUB button.
http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/freee...OhDofOQ-1.html

No worries. If Don Quixote is the book that you really want to read, then you have many options for free public domain classics. First many public domain books are available here on MobileRead. Also you can try a website like feedbooks.com, manybooks.net or gutenberg.org.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, it looks like most public domain classics on Kobo are not downloadable for Sony. Some free ebooks will be publisher promos, and those are available for EPUB download.
Bookworm_Girl, you RAWWKKKK! I think we both hit the nail on the head at about the same time. You just saved my wife many minutes of frustration trying to perform a futile task. But I'm a little sad as I primarily signed up for a Kobo account to get a lot of those free ebooks onto my Sony PRS-650. I will try some of those other sources that you have listed. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm coming to the conclusion that your books aren't actual Epubs.

As for being helpful, we've all been there with a situation of "I know this should work - where the (bleep) is the problem???"

As for Sony vs. Kindle, I'm a very indecisive person (sun and moon in Libra), so find going by the cover pic more helpful in deciding what to read next, than scanning pages of (text) lists.

Try the offering here at Mobilereads for public domain books -- most (if not all) have been "vetted" for good formatting!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are loads of free ebooks available for the Sony ereader. The links above get you started on finding free classics. I see in another post that you have already discovered the free google books on the Sony ebookstore.

You should also check if your local library has ebooks. Here is a link to the San Diego Public Library website as an example.
http://sdpl.lib.overdrive.com/242E32...en/Default.htm

Also, many publishers and authors have free promos. You can find them on the Sony ebookstore in the category "Bargain-Priced". However, sometimes they don't have them all listed. I use the website inkmesh to find what is free. Then I do a search on the Sony Store.
http://www.inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/?site=sony

Have fun looking for those bargains!
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
As for being helpful, we've all been there with a situation of "I know this should work - where the (bleep) is the problem???"
Exactly! I have purchased a book on Kobo (not a free one!) only to find out it wasn't in EPUB format. It was unexpected and frustrating since it was a major bestseller and not exactly an obscure title.... That's why I thought of it as a potential solution.

DrScotter, I think that's why people are so helpful on this forum too. Most of us have gotten help from others on this board and want to give back in kind. Also many of us have learned things the hard way and want to keep others from the same frustrations.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
By the way, my library has a separate Overdrive - Project Gutenberg feature for public domain books ...
no limit, no expiration.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You can also go into google books within the Sony e-store from within the Reader software and there are lots of free books there. I downloaded a free kobo book earlier this week that did have an epub format so I think it depends on the book. You are right though, a lot of them are not in epub format. I do use my kobo account quite a bit though if I want a newer book as it does have a good selection at a reasonable price.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #24
DrScotter
I'm a Llama!

Thanks again, Y'all!

For future forum readers, in case this hasn't been discussed previously, it appears that not all of the books listed as "Free eBooks" at the Kobo website are downloadable to the Sony Reader. The "Free eBook: Read Now" are not downloadable to Sony Reader but many of the "Free eBook: Download" are available as PDF's or Epubs to be downloaded to Sony Reader.

Ordered my first Kobo book last night using the 35% off coupon that you receive after registering. Downloaded a few free classics from Kobo but from what I can tell some of these are the same ones to be found at Googlebooks.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScotter View Post
Thanks again, Y'all!

For future forum readers, in case this hasn't been discussed previously, it appears that not all of the books listed as "Free eBooks" at the Kobo website are downloadable to the Sony Reader. The "Free eBook: Read Now" are not downloadable to Sony Reader but many of the "Free eBook: Download" are available as PDF's or Epubs to be downloaded to Sony Reader.

Ordered my first Kobo book last night using the 35% off coupon that you receive after registering. Downloaded a few free classics from Kobo but from what I can tell some of these are the same ones to be found at Googlebooks.
That's great, DrS! Glad you got it sorted out. Keep an eye on your email inbox because Kobo sends out frequent coupons. Also just a heads up that Kobo is a Canadian company. You will probably see a currency transaction fee of a few cents when you purchase a book on your credit card statement.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
bookgirl1190
bookgirl1190 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
I'm having a similar problem with Kobo. I've spent the last year buying books on Kobo and opening them with the Sony software. Yesterday, I purchased two Kobo books and am receiving the following message - Error R6025 Pure Virtual Function Call - when trying to download it and -Error -2999 - on the Sony Reader store. So now, I have purchased books that I can't read.
Any help is welcome.
bookgirl1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl1190 View Post
I'm having a similar problem with Kobo. I've spent the last year buying books on Kobo and opening them with the Sony software. Yesterday, I purchased two Kobo books and am receiving the following message - Error R6025 Pure Virtual Function Call - when trying to download it and -Error -2999 - on the Sony Reader store. So now, I have purchased books that I can't read.
Any help is welcome.
I did a google search on your error messages. These are both runtime errors, which means something got corrupted in either your registry or the software installation. It could be either Adobe Digital Editions or the Sony software.

http://www.articlesbase.com/data-rec...e--967919.html

You might get better help if you post a separate thread on your topic. Perhaps others have encountered this same problem before and have a simple fix.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do want Reader Library on your computer for loading eBooks onto your 650. That way you can easily deal with collections.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote