Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
iMac
Banned
iMac began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help! Anyone can tell me how to convert word to PDF

Anyone can tell me how to convert word to PDF

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 02-07-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: removed hidden spam
iMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
There are plenty of possibilities out there. Are you on Windows or Mac? Which version of Word? Maybe you google for PDF-printer or "pdf addon for word".
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac View Post
Anyone can tell me how to convert word to PDF
Free Sun Openoffice.org writer will import Word doc & export as PDF

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 02-07-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: removed hidden spam from quote
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaOne View Post
There are plenty of possibilities out there. Are you on Windows or Mac?
Chuckle. Weren't paying too much attention to the name there, eh?

If you have a recent version of Word, there should be an export to PDF option right inside Word.

If not, then you can either use a free Word replacement like OpenOffice or AbiWord, or, if the document is not too complex, use your older version of Word to save as rtf or html, and then convert through calibre.

And there are other options too...
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
SINCE you are (presumably) on an iMac, just print the document. Select "Print to PDF" at the bottom, and then give a filename if/when asked. Simple!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If any Windows users are wondering the same thing, from MS Word, select Print, then from the printer select drop-down menu, select PDF*** (mine says PDF995). The doc will not print, but will be saved as a PDF file.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If any Windows users are wondering the same thing, from MS Word, select Print, then from the printer select drop-down menu, select PDF*** (mine says PDF995). The doc will not print, but will be saved as a PDF file.
No, this is not an option by default. You'd have to have PDF995 installed for that to work (which I recall being a very obnoxious program)..

Users with Adobe Acrobat installed would choose "Acrobat Distiller" instead.

However, with Word 2007+ there should be an option to export to PDF that does not use a virtual printer at all.

Same goes for (even older) versions of Open Office.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Just to be a corporate stooge here for a moment you can also try Adobe's online service it is a pay service, but there is a free trial available. I find it useful for when you are at a machine where you don't what to install software.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I prefer docuPrinter LT from Neevia.com. It interfaces like a printer but includes macros for word and office products that can make the PDF a lot smarter by including TOC and links and other features.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Free Sun Openoffice.org writer will import Word doc & export as PDF
Oh excellent, I have OpenOffice and Word so that's great, didn't know you could do that. Appreciate it!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
Oh excellent, I have OpenOffice and Word so that's great, didn't know you could do that. Appreciate it!
Little tip on making PDFs for your reader with OpenOffice.org: if you set the page size for your ebook to the same size as your ereader's screen, when you do a page preview you will see what your ebook will look like on your reader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
OpenOffice Writer doesn't support OpenType features or metric kerning yet does it? I recall the last time I used it to export PDF, it failed to include my OpenType fonts at all. Has that been resolved?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
frabjous
Wizard

The newest version 3.2 will support open type fonts. It's currently in pre-release testing.

As far as I know, it's always done kerning (though you need to turn it on manually, just like you do in Word).

If you really want to make full use of your open type fonts though, I suggest XeLaTeX.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
The newest version 3.2 will support open type fonts. It's currently in pre-release testing.

As far as I know, it's always done kerning (though you need to turn it on manually, just like you do in Word).

If you really want to make full use of your open type fonts though, I suggest XeLaTeX.
I am a seasoned InDesign user and don't really need or care about TeX, so it's mostly academic; I was just curious since I sometimes use my netbook when creating shorter documents that I prefer to output to PDF for printing at work, and a portable OpenOffice is for me much more useful on that tiny 7" screen. However, last time I used it, the export to PDF ignored the OpenType fonts I was using.

Maybe I'll take a look at the most recent version and see if that works.
Thanks for the heads up about 3.2.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
frabjous
Wizard

Actually, somewhat ironically, XeLaTeX has better support for opentype fonts than even InDesign, if I'm not mistaken.

I also think in general (Xe)(La)TeX is better than InDesign -- in fact, I recently wrote to a publisher of one of my recent works, who used InDesign for layout, telling them I was rather unhappy with the output, and provided something I had typeset with XeLaTeX, and included a list of seven ways that my typesetting was better than their professional typesetting, even though I'm an amateur, and even the publisher agreed with me.

In fairness, however, it could well be that the typesetter in question was just incompetent, and the fault is not with InDesign itself.