Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is incorrect. The "vast majority of other readers" are ePub devices which use ADE to display books. ADE's page numbers are a count of 1024 characters in the compressed file, which typically means that the same page number is displayed for several screens on the reader.
Yes I've noticed that on my PRS 350, "page 62" or "page 62-63" and they can both last a few pages. I find it a little off-putting, not too fussed with the locations either, the percentage is good - except of course when, as BeccaPrice mentions, you get footnotes for the last 20% of the book! I prefer the progress bar along the bottom of my Kindle Keyboard, but even that's useless when the book isn't properly/fully formatted.

Just goes to show that no solution is perfect, and no single one will keep everyone happy.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If iI remember correctly, my old Cybook Gen3 short showed screens to read. That would be my preference. One screen, one page. And I like it to be displayed continuously.

Kacir: I couldn't agree more. While I like the Kindle for its screen (mine at least), there are readers with quite some extra options, but they don't have a front light, it's not as good as the Kindle (such as the Nook), or the reader has software problems (Kobo).

For now, it'll be a Kindle because of the screen and stability.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-24-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
(...)
Just goes to show that no solution is perfect, and no single one will keep everyone happy.
As everything else in life...
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ha, so true zamana
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
But I'd say... doesn't that argue for giving users options?
I am not saying they should get rid of locations. Just give us the option to switch to page numbers...

And yes, I had a feeling someone would post saying they like this 'location' thing. I don't get it. The only use I have for location is to compute a percentage. Because I have no clue how much is 10,000 locations. So it does not give me an indication of book length.

By the way.... ignorant question... how are locations computed? Some character count?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
aikiboy
aikiboy began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle paperwhite, nook tablet
Glad I found this forum. Just got my Paperwhite a couple days ago and thought I must be an idiot because I couldn't find page numbers or a way to turn them on. I find them useful and, since I've used them all my life, it seems kind of strange not to have them. My Nook shows them every time, so the Kindle was a puzzle. Guess every provider has it's quirks. Perhaps Amazon should reconsider not providing them at on the reading screen.

How do I go about adding Cool Reader, and might it void the warranty?

Last edited by aikiboy; 02-24-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: x
aikiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

I guess the option to have page numbers would be nice.... but then again, one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to the PW is because Amazon won't offer me the option of a lighted reader with page turn buttons. So yes, give us options, but it'll still be almost impossible to please us all!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
But I'd say... doesn't that argue for giving users options?
I am not saying they should get rid of locations. Just give us the option to switch to page numbers...

And yes, I had a feeling someone would post saying they like this 'location' thing. I don't get it. The only use I have for location is to compute a percentage. Because I have no clue how much is 10,000 locations. So it does not give me an indication of book length.

By the way.... ignorant question... how are locations computed? Some character count?
Locations are a count of 128 characters - ie, 8 locations = 1k. Their primary value is in referring to a particular position in a book. But yes, I'm all in favour of choices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Never saw the point of having a page number that stays the same for multiple screen changes.

And outside of academia, I have absolutely zero need to know what page number I'm on in an edition of the book that I'm NOT currently reading.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
The vast majority of other readers work like this:
This is incorrect. The "vast majority of other readers" are ePub devices which use ADE to display books. ADE's page numbers are a count of 1024 characters in the compressed file, which typically means that the same page number is displayed for several screens on the reader.
Yes, Harry, you are right, as usual.

Now that I think about it, the Amazon implementation of page numbers (locations) might not as bad, if you had to put up with the "Adobe" page numbering system ;-)
Page numbers in epub books was one of reasons I avoided the default epub reading application on PocketBook (the one that implemented ADE)

Ever since I wrote my (not entirely correct) rant about page numbers I was thinking about my motivation to buy Kindle.

Besides the reasons I listed in my original post, one of reasons why I bought the Paperwhite was that I thought I would get used to the "kindle" way of presenting books. *SO* many people - including you Harry - are happy with the way Amazon displays the books on their newer e-ink devices. So I thought that I would just need to get used to that. I thought that after reading of couple of thousand "pages" on the device with the default settings I will settle down and will cease to be annoyed by the layout. It didn't work ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #26
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Looks like I started a rather lively thread.

In any case, thanks for the contributions, particularly the ones about popping up the menu to display the page numbers...

It's no big deal. I could never really get used to the Kindle DX's displaying "location 2033-2044 of 3400". I'd have to do some mental arithmetic when flipping pages to get an idea of where I was in the book. But the PPW's estimate on time left in chapter or book is a handy one.

Thanks again, folks.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #27
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
Just bought a Kindle store book that has "real page numbers", but on my Paperwhite they're not there! I don't understand why they make the statement if it's not actually correct?
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strangely enough, I checked in the iPad app and they were there. Synced my Kindle again and now they're there?

What's that about? There were no page number options when I looked before!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spersephone View Post
Just bought a Kindle store book that has "real page numbers", but on my Paperwhite they're not there! I don't understand why they make the statement if it's not actually correct?
If you have a KPW1, did you update it to the latest firmware? Somewhere along the line, the KPW1 obtained the function to display the current page number continuously instead of the location.

Also, if you sideload a book using Calibre, page numbers may be recalculated depending on how you have set up the Kindle driver (or plugins, such as Count Pages). The best way to obtain real page numbers is to download the book directly from the Amazon cloud using the Kindle itself, but then that book will have DRM until you import it into Calibre with Alf's plugins installed and configured correctly.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #30
spersephone
Zealot

It turned up after I opened the book in the Kindle iPad app and synced. Makes no sense!